Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to build a storage tower ???

• 28-02-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Ok I may be talking pie in the sky but here it goes ,(please keep in mind I am a dunce when it comes to things like this)

I was wondering if it was possible to build a storage tower ?? (I want some thing I cant knock over)

Here is the thing I may be able to get my hands on some old hard drives nothing massive and nothing new (some would be used for running xp but some would be used for running 98) so is it possible to build a storage tower out of these ??

Or do I need to buy new hard drives ??

What do I need to put it all together ?? (could I use an old pc tower or do I need to buy some thing else)

Where do I get what I need ?? ( Id prefer to use a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin or at least an Irish / uk site)

Would I need extra software to tie it all together ?? (I’d like to use connect them all so I plug the tower to my pc or laptop via a usb port) given that I want to keep the files backed up I was thinking of using twice the amount of hard drives I need so I can back up every thing ,

If I am building it out of old drives I would be getting them in drips and drabs so I’d be trying to do it by expanding bit by bit rather than building all at once (good or bad idea??)

Is there any thing I have over looked ??:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What are you trying to do exactly? Add some storage? A fileserver of some kind? NAS? I'm confused... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Solitaire wrote: »
    What are you trying to do exactly? Add some storage? A fileserver of some kind? NAS? I'm confused... :confused:

Basically a hard drive collection in a single housing to function like as an external hard drive (is it a dumb idea ??)

ps

I have no idea what a fileserver or nas is (but it would be nice if i could make it Accessible threw the wifi router but that would be an after thought)

NAS = Network Attached Storage, which is pretty much what you're trying to do from the looks of it.

How much data are you thinking of sticking on this thing anyway? Modern HDDs run into the terabytes :eek: and you could probably stick ~4TB onto a fairly basic 2-drive NAS if you wanted. Building your own won't be cheap because you'll need a stripped-down PC to manage the HDDs (most NAS are exactly that!) and if you're using old lower-capacity HDDs you'd need a lot of SATA ports to attach them all.

What was that about Win98 above? There's very little support for it nowadays... :o

How much data are you thinking of sticking on this thing anyway?
    I haven’t really thought about it I want to be able to store a lot of music and image files (I’m getting back into photography so there will be a lot of large image files plus I am getting into stencilling which involves a lot of gimp files I am one of those people that doesn’t delete files )

Modern HDDs run into the terabytes :eek: and you could probably stick ~4TB onto a fairly basic 2-drive NAS if you wanted.
    So what sort of price range are we talking about ??
    The whole idea is that I am trying to avoid ending up with a shelf full of 1 TB external drives and compact it into one unit

and if you're using old lower-capacity HDDs you'd need a lot of SATA ports to attach them all.

What was that about Win98 above? There's very little support for it nowadays... :o
    Basically I have access every now and then to towers that are getting thrown out these machines are older ie running as old as 98 so I was thinking it was a cheap option to take the hard drives out of them and use them for storage (but it’s starting to sound like a bit of a headache given that they would be small enough drives:( )

It would be a headache. Depends on the size of the drives - if you're getting random 320GB drives then perhaps... but if they're mostly old 20GB drives, well... it'd take 50 of them to make up just one Samsung F3 1TB HDD which only costs €70-80! :eek:

Plus you'd need all the SATA ports... and you'd need controller cards once you run out of IDE/SATA ports on the mobo... and you'd need the raw juice to run them all... methinks a shiny new NAS is a better idea! :o

• Advertisement

.. methinks a shiny new NAS is a better idea! :o
    Me thinks your right , I am looking at the harddrive that i pulled out of my desktop which would be newer than anthing i would get and it's only a 200gb , :o

Now all i have to do is figure out what i do with my desk top fix and upgrade or replace :D

Advertisement