Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian canoe routes

Options
  • 28-02-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just thouht there was a lack of talk and info for canoes on the forum - Just thought I would open it up with asking for canoe trips with brief decriptions, format it like this if possible
    Where -
    Trip length -
    Put In -
    Take out -
    Description/ features -
    Difficulty -
    Suitability - i.e. family

Come on and give details from all over the country

Im very interested in this - as a kayak head I want to get my family out on our canadian this year and would love to get some ideas of where to go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

christramp wrote: »
    Just thouht there was a lack of talk and info for canoes on the forum - Just thought I would open it up with asking for canoe trips with brief decriptions, format it like this if possible
    Where -
    Trip length -
    Put In -
    Take out -
    Description/ features -
    Difficulty -
    Suitability - i.e. family

Come on and give details from all over the country

Im very interested in this - as a kayak head I want to get my family out on our canadian this year and would love to get some ideas of where to go

I'd be interested in this also....i was thinking of a long river trip this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

We intend to throw in 4 or 5 canoes/kayaks in Carlow and travel down to Graiugenamanagh over a couple of days.It's probebly 30 to 40 k but there will be adults and kids and we are going to make a weekend of it.We are just waiting for the sun to shine.There are several weirs en-route , some we will shoot but some we will have to walk the kids.There is a path all along the river (nearly certain)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Sounds like a nice trip. Let us all know how it goes and what the route is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

se conman wrote: »
    We intend to throw in 4 or 5 canoes/kayaks in Carlow and travel down to Graiugenamanagh over a couple of days.It's probebly 30 to 40 k but there will be adults and kids and we are going to make a weekend of it.We are just waiting for the sun to shine.There are several weirs en-route , some we will shoot but some we will have to walk the kids.There is a path all along the river (nearly certain)

I did a trip some years back while in scouts starting in Salins Kildare and went all the way to St Mullins on the Barrow.

We did it over 5 days taking out time and enjoying it.

Great spin.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Conal1

Ill be down in Kilkenny in a few weeks & hope to bring someone on a first trip and am J
    just enquiring if it is flat water all the way from Thomastown to Inishtioge + if suitable for a possibly nervous first travelling with me in a Canadian. Also, where is the put in at Thomastown and the get out at Inishtioge.
    Thanks
    Conal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hi Conal,

The section of water you intend on paddling is perfect for what you want. There are two perfect putins / Take outs situated at the bridges in villages.

Its a nice spin adn Im sure you will enjoy it, this time of year ther will be loats of fisher men about but just stay to the far side of the rive adn let them have their space and its all cool.

Enjoy,

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Its not completely flat, if there is a flood there are sections that can be quite big for a nervous paddler, there are small rapids on it even in low water. To get out in Inistioge, if you go past inistioge bridge for another 500m, there is a boatslip that is ideal for getting out at with loads of room for parking there as well. To get there driving, go over the bridge while leaving the village, take the first right and follow the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Conal , post here when you are coming to Ttown .We might throw in a few canoes as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

On the topic of Open Canoeing I have a level 3 open canoe skills course coming up on the 24th and 25th of April it will be run on the Barrow,

This course is open to anyone who holds there level 2 canoe skills cert or has previous experience paddling Open Canoes or Kayaks.

The aim of the Level 3 skills is to fine tune those paddling techniques and styles and also improve your confidence and manoeuvrability on moving/white water of grade 2 level, whilst introducing some new strokes and techniques to make life easier.

If any of ye guys are interested in this or any other open boat training, advice or information feel free to contact me irishcanoekayak@gmail.com

Cheers
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Conal1

Guys,
    Thanks for the advice.
    Its looking like I wont get to do the trip anytime soon due to domestic pressures :mad: , but I'll definitely try it some time.
    Conal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Dont know where you are based but for a day trip or even just an afternoon trip there is an easy and pleasant section on the Barrow from Monasterevin to Vicarstown.

Where - Monasterevin, Co. Kildare to Vicarstown, Co. Laois

Trip length - about 90mins to 2hrs

Put In - There is a slip just off the road past where the train tracks pass over in Monasterevin. Think its on the backroad to Portarlington

Take out - There is a small stone pier/wall on the outskirts of Vicarstown with a gate to a layby on the road. May need to climb the gate.

Description/ features - Very pleasant paddle. Very flat in summer usually. Just plenty of farmland. No wiers. Loads of fishermen on either side of the bank in places which usually means a bit of zig zagging

Difficulty - Very easy when no flood. Very shallow in parts though around Monasterevin.

Suitability - Ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bovis

Hi Christramp,

At the risk of blowing off the cobwebs on this thread - i'd recommend reading a recently released book from Eddie Palmer called Irish Canoe Classics. I am not connected in any way to Eddie but in my growing interest in canoe trails I found Eddie's book a great place to start. Personally I would love to see canoe trails getting a little more attention (and investment like in NI) but I guess unless there's a visible interest in canoe trails from the public then thats not going to happen.

BTW, Anyone know of a canadian canoe club that has people looking for paddling partners for trips? I'd be interested if there was such a club in the midlands/leinster region.

Bovis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Try Tullamore Canoe Club they have a pretty strong canoe section, or in dublin you have wild water canoe club both clubs have a good group of canoe enthusiasts!!!

Happy Paddling

Patrick
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

Advertisement