Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging Netopia/LinkSys DD-WRT routers

Options
  • 28-02-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

I am having a bit of trouble setting up bridging properly and perhaps someone has an idea what I am doing wrong (or if what I am attempting will work at all).

I have Eircom ADSL, Netopia 2247 wireless router.

I recently acquired a Linksys WRT54G and decided that it might be fun to play with DD-WRT. I want the Linksys to be the main router and ideally I'd like the Netopia to be a wireless access point, thus giving me a more configurable router and extended coverage.

I have mainly wired network devices in the house, but I do use wireless for my (work) laptop while it's at home.

DD-WRT setup was painless. I setup the Netopia in Bridged mode on the Web config, the Netopia is connected via patch panel to the Linksys (wired connection) and put the PPPoE details into the Linksys, and the wired network is now being DHCP served by the Linksys and access to the internet etc is fine. The Netopia is acting as a "dumb" ADSL modem and all that end of things is fine.

However I cannot get wireless access to the Netopia to work at all when it's setup as a bridge (wireless access to the Linksys/DD-WRT is also fine: and wireless access on the Netopia was also fine, when I was using it as the router).

If I use the same SSID on both, depending on which access point I connect to (and of course you can't directly tell), then if I get my wireless access from the Linksys it works OK, but not from the Netopia.

if I use a different SSID on the Netopia, the Netopia wireless network doesn't work.

I'd like to be able to get wireless access to either netopia or linksys, as that way I could put one at either end of the house and get better overall wireless coverage.

Any hints?

Advertisement