Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

www.mmaireland.org Has Launched!

• 28-02-2010 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hello,

www.mmaireland.org has offically launched. The website is based on news and information surrounding Irish MMA.

Features:

1. Up to date news section that covers all of Ireland.

2. Interview section. We have gathered interviews from some of the best known talents in Irish MMA along with international MMA superstars. Our launching interviews include Marcus "the irish handgrenade" Davis, Colin "The Gift" Mckee and Chris "Menace 2 Society" Stringer.

3. Fighter database of Irish based MMA fighters, their records, club and weight.

4. Club Database: Our club database lists over 600 different clubs across Ireland. The database covers boxing, kickboxing, bjj, wrestling, judo, mma and traditional martial arts clubs from all over the country.

5. Upcomming events: An upcomming events section is available for fans.

6. Forum: We also have a forum for Irish MMA fans to speak their minds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

nice site paul, although the idea and a lot of the content seem very similar.

wish you all the best

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I don't know who's behind this but the fighter information for our gym is out of date and also I never gave permission for our fighters to be listed on this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Is this a new version of mmaireland.com?? If not it's perhaps just a little bit cheeky!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I don't know who's behind this but the fighter information for our gym is out of date and also I never gave permission for our fighters to be listed on this site.

I second this. I never gave anyone permission to advertise our Club, Fighters or Promotion. All you had to do was send me an e-mail.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭mmaireland.com

Nope. Not a new mmaireland.com - no harm them giving it a shot though. Our event list is pretty much always up to date and a good few of the shows send us their reports; but not all. So, sure - no harm.

Incidentally, any shows are welcome to drop us "press release style" info at any time.

Wish mmaireland.org the best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

good luck with the site.

Personally I think the more up-to-date accurate information on Irish MMA the better.

I hope all the clubs/shows/promotions help you out with the information you need.

Does the site have any links to a specific club or promotion or is it independent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MMAIRELAND.ORG

Hey guys,

Firstly you are completely right and i apologise for not seeking permission, i didnt relise it would be an issue. If you want your information removed from the club list, fighter list and news let me know and it will be gone by the end of the day. Alternatively you can contact me and i will change the information.

The site was set up to achieve one goal and that is to help MMA grow in Ireland by giving fans something to look at on a daily basis. We have no affiliations with any clubs or promotions we are simply journalists that from this point will be covering Irish MMA news on a daily basis.

Would like to thank mmaireland.com and anakin for their positive feedback and hope that we can make things right by Martin and Barry.

Also my name is not Paul.

Regards, MMAIRELAND.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Sounds like a rip-off of mmaireland.com - a bit cheeky. And robbing info from other sites to put on yours is even cheekier. Show a bit of respect & ask for permission, FFS.

Also - all of those promoters & clubs are going to get spam now, because their e-mail addresses are open to spambots scanning the pages & haven't been encypted in any way.

And what does it offer that fight.ie doesn't?

Firstly none of our news or interviews have been stolen from anywhere.

The club information for example their email addresses where already on the internet so would they not already be getting spam?

What is the problem with having two news and information websites?

In my opinion it adds competiveness for both parties meaning that fight.ie and mmaireland.org will report more and better information for the fans.

Fight.ie is a great site but does that mean that they can be the only website dedicated to mma news in this country?

Also how is it cheeky for choosing a name? If mmaireland.com dont have a problem with it then why do you?

Firstly none of our news or interviews have been stolen from anywhere.
    Didn't say it was. All the club & fighter info was though.
    The club information for example their email addresses where already on the internet so would they not already be getting spam?
    Some of them have "at" instead of "@" for this reason. Not all, but some.
    What is the problem with having two news and information websites?
    Nothing. I only asked what features you offer that fight.ie doesn't.
    In my opinion it adds competiveness for both parties meaning that fight.ie and mmaireland will report more and better information for the fans.
    Is that how a journalist spells "competitiveness"? :p Just kidding...

But I see how you're already calling your site "mmaireland", which is even cheekier since you're already implying ownership & association of the "mmaireland" name, when the .com has been around for years. You should be calling yourself "mmaireland.org" out of respect & to avoid confusion.
    Fight.ie is a great site but does that mean that they can be the only website dedicated to mma news in this country?
    Not at all - I was only asking what your site offers that existing sites don't. It wasn't a loaded question.
    Also how is it cheeky for choosing a name? If mmaireland.com dont have a problem with it then why do you?
    It's cheeky because the name is too similar, IMO. And mmaireland.com were just been diplomatic - that name would irritate anyone.
    You don't think fight.ie would be irritated by fightie.com?

• Advertisement

Oh, and since using stuff from other sites without permission is acceptable now, I'd like to present mmaireland.com with this present - feel free to use it at your leisure. I'm sure the OP won't mind, as I'm sure they couldn't possibly have double standards re the use of stuff from other people's sites, right?

Enjoy:
    230210110258mma%20Ireland%5B1%5D.JPG

1. Not all fighter and club info was "stolen" there were clubs that got back to us with information. All information was taken from club websites with good intentions of helping promoting the club and local fighters.

2. Thankfully i am not one of the journalists so excuse my spelling.

3. In respect to mmaireland i will refer to our site from now on as mmireland.org and will also edit this into my previous reply.

With regards to the Marcus Davis interview you are talking about to completely different things.

Club information is public information regarding the whereabouts of a gym.

An interview is an article written by a journalist and is therefore copywrited to them legally. It cannot be used elsewhere without their expressed permission.

1. Not all fighter and club info was "stolen" there were clubs that got back to us with information. All information was taken from club websites with good intentions of helping promoting the club and local fighters.

2. Thankfully i am not one of the journalists so excuse my spelling.

3. In respect to mmaireland i will refer to our site from now on as mmireland.org and will also edit this into my previous reply.
    Fair enough.
    And look - I'm really not having a go - but there is a certain level of respect that needs to be shown, namely to any clubs whose info & fighter data you took without permission (I know it isn't copyrighted, but it's just simple respect), and also mmaireland.com who have been around for years and then you turn up and register a similar domain & start calling yourself "mmaireland". If you make an entrance like that onto "the scene", it'll come across as quite cheeky & generate some resentment & friction.

Edit:
    RE the Marcus David pic: I know you guys own the copyright - I was taking the p*ss to make a tongue-in-cheek point about taking stuff from other people's sites, and also using the mmaireland name.

I understand what your trying to say completely. Its the first day of launch, we need feedback like this to help us grow.

The information for any fighter that has not been given to us has now been removed. Any club that would like to add a fighter to the database contact me on info@mmaireland.org

The club information is a way for young people trying to get into the sport to get an idea of where to start. If any clubs either want taken off the list or want their club added then also contact me on the above email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

You can use the fighter details off our site no problem-i dont see the harm and the more exposure Irish MMA gets the better..

www.rushfightacademy.com

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Why would they need permission to list your fighters? Do you think sherdog asks for permission from trainers to list fighters on it's database? Once a promoter submits results - that's all that matters.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Why would they need permission to list your fighters?

Nobody said they "need" permission. It's not a case of legality: it's simply a case of courtesy - a quick e-mail asking if it's okay. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

Forest Master, I think you're a bit too sensitive.

It's no more intrusive than a phonebook listing your phone number and I have yet to compose the email to Eircom calling them cheeky. The information was there on the internet. I can see Roper's point if the information is incorrect, but otherwise if it's posted by a gym online then there is no harm reposting it. If you were very moral you could link to sites you had gleaned information from or reference it in the post but most actual journalistic institutions don't do this so I'll forgive MMAIreland.org.

As for the name - a bit close alright.

Shane, The

Nobody said they "need" permission. It's not a case of legality: it's simply a case of courtesy - a quick e-mail asking if it's okay. That's all.

Do you think sherdog or boxrec e-mails every camp asking if it's ok to user their fighters in their databases? It's not expected for them to give a courtesy e-mail, and it's no different here tbh.

• Advertisement

Firstly, the fighter information is way out of date- about a year. We've changed our club name since then too, so that's out of date aswell. Secondly, Sherdog lists results and records, not available fighters.

Mostly though, I'm just pissed that any randomer assumes that because they're giving free publicity that they can list me and without permission include my contact details on their website, without my permission as long as they put the proviso "for the good of Irish MMA" afterwards. Cos who can argue with that right?

Not all publicity is good publicity. How do I know who or what this site is linked to? For all the apologies I'm still a bit pissed off at this. By my last count this is the 5th Irish MMA website of this type and the previous 4 have asked for my permission or direct input.

Barry,

I have removed the information from our fighter list and from the club list. Again i apologise for the trouble this has caused.

Firstly, the fighter information is way out of date- about a year.

So are many MMA databases. Nothing to be upset about.
    We've changed our club name since then too, so that's out of date aswell.

See above.
    Secondly, Sherdog lists results and records, not available fighters.

Well you might ask where they got a list of available fighters. Did you make them available in the public domain previously?
    Mostly though, I'm just pissed that any randomer assumes that because they're giving free publicity that they can list me and without permission include my contact details on their website, without my permission as long as they put the proviso "for the good of Irish MMA" afterwards. Cos who can argue with that right?

Have you made your contact details publically available beforehand to any other websites?
    Not all publicity is good publicity. How do I know who or what this site is linked to? For all the apologies I'm still a bit pissed off at this. By my last count this is the 5th Irish MMA website of this type and the previous 4 have asked for my permission or direct input.

Much ado about nothing to be honest. It's not as if they are posting your image on a nazi-website, like what happened Mac Danzig. My advice would be to send them accurate information about your club if you're not content with the current information that they have - and if you've already made your details available on the public domain - I don't see why it would be an issue here. It's just a website trying to promote MMA - I fail to see the problem here to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

lol at all this pettiness.

The more Irish mma sites the better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I don’t think it pettiness it’s more courtesy of dropping an email asking permission. I agree the more positive Irish MMA sites the better for the sport, but I can see both sides of the argument posting details of clubs including their contact details without actually using the details to inform said club could be construed as being disrespectful.

The site is only active and they have agreed to remove information that is incorrect or that caused irritation to all offended parties.

As an Irish MMA fan, I want to see good, well organised and informative sites. Obviously to do this the people who work the hardest (Fighters & Trainers) need to be contributing to these sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

why the anonymity, who are yas?

my apologies if i have incorrectly stated that your name is paul, but it doesnt look independent to me, looks quite obviously linked to a certain club and promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Hey guys,

you might advertise my new jiu jitsu/ MMA gym on your site? www.SBJ.ie. Straight Blast Jim. or Gext Neneration. www.gextnenerationireland.com

Also im trying to launch a new search engine worldwide, www.goojle.com.

I assume you think i am paul of ifsni? There is no anonymity, if you look on the site you will see that i have used my first name to start all of the forum posts, i have also used my full name on some of the articles. My name is Gary Nugent and i am currently working with a number of journalists on this project.

Paul has given us access to information on past shows and fighters and we covered his last event so therefore i can understand why you would think that. Overall though we want to cover all promotions on the site and encourage any promoters to get in touch.

Hi Gary,

Chris from WWW.MMAIRELAND.IE here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

why the anonymity, who are yas?

my apologies if i have incorrectly stated that your name is paul, but it doesnt look independent to me, looks quite obviously linked to a certain club and promotion.

Which one? Cage Wars?

I'm pretty impressed with the website so far, chap looks like he can spell so that's always a plus. Not sure where all the hostility is coming from. Perhaps bit of an oversight to not put the word out before the site went live but to sum up in some clichés:

The more the merrier
    the survival of the fittest

Facebook wouldnt be too happy if there was a facebook.org.

Like fairplay starting a little website but dont steal someone elses URL, someone who clearly had the foresight that MMAIRELAND.com would be a good address or whatever.

Also i took the address for a club off your website thismorning to go train somwehere new.. turns out they havent been there for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think you're overselling the significance of the URL. Most recent studies show that people comes to websites by google searching or hyperlinking rather than pointing the browser at a specific url*.

Like what is your problem? People go looking for Kokoro martial arts club and find themselves at a website that's basically a directory. You'll still find kokoro in their club listing.

It's not like it's a counterfeit.

* by most recent studies i mean this is my opinion

I think the MMAIreland thing is a bit crafty, but then I suppose if you're in any business you have to nail down all the URLs these days. But to be honest, while I would have appreciated a courtesy mail, one was sent to my business manager today saying that the site has launched but none to state whether we'd like to be involved or not, the fact that what appeared about our gym was glommed from the available fighters thread on boards which was a year out of date pissed me off.

As it is, if the owners want to mail me personally, I'll reply with an up to date fighters list and contact details for our gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

While the url is not working I am laying claim to Straight Blast Jim on behalf of Jim.

It's the future of MMA.

Shane, The

Sorry Shane. Patent Pending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

No thai boxing clubs connected to MMA?

Best of luck with the site

Hi Peetrik,

The club list is far from finished. It will be an ongoing process and we hope that with the site now launched all clubs related to MMA and martial arts in general will get in touch so we can add them to the list. In the near future this means that there will hopefully be many more categories to choose from.

Thank you for your best wishes.

Chris89 wrote: »
    Hi Gary,

Chris from WWW.MMAIRELAND.IE here.

Name is too long - just shorten it to "mmaireland" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Site looks well - particularly like the fighters section. I assume this will be updated with stats :)

Good luck;)

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭StrateBlastJim

Chris89 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

you might advertise my new jiu jitsu/ MMA gym on your site? www.SBJ.ie. Straight Blast Jim. or Gext Neneration. www.gextnenerationireland.com

Also im trying to launch a new search engine worldwide, www.goojle.com.

Careful now :)

P.S Cheers The Shane

SBJ

• Advertisement
Advertisement