Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me get to oxegen!!

Options
  • 28-02-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

ok im in a spot of bother.....oxegen is on in july right and my 18th bday is in may....but my parents wont let me get a ticket even though ill be 18 when its on...:mad:...so can anybody out there gimmie advice on how to persuade them to let me go or any ideas on how to blackmail them?:rolleyes:ha!

plz reply!!:D;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

1) stick to size 2 thanks
    2)Ask nicely,are any of your mates going? it's a great bonus if hey know who you're going with
    3)Only use bold if you have been
    4)Can you not wait until next year? this year is good,i prefered last years line up though
    5)try not to act needy about,by say posting to a random group of strangers afor advice,make a decent argument and accept if they still say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Nah I'm fine thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Well, why won't your parents let you go? If they have a good reason then fair enough...but at the end of the day, you'll be 18 at the time and can legally go without their permission. But, as the man says, it doesn't matter if you're 18, you're not free and independent until you live in your own house and are making your own money. So if they're adament about not letting you go, I'd suck it up and go next year.

Have you not tried begging? Or saying your friends are going? Y'know, the standard set of procedures when parents won't let you do something...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

what's the reason for them not letting you go? Because they think you'll be too young or unsafe or because they don't want to/can't afford to pay for you to go? If it's the latter I say try and save up and buy your own ticket or offer to contribute something as the whole weekend will be pretty expensive oveall.If it's the former a rational and calm converstaion should sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

save up and buy the tickets yourself.
    i doubt they would have a problem then :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Paud..... wrote: »
    ok im in a spot of bother.....oxegen is on in july right and my 18th bday is in may....but my parents wont let me get a ticket even though ill be 18 when its on...:mad:...so can anybody out there gimmie advice on how to persuade them to let me go or any ideas on how to blackmail them?:rolleyes:ha!

Pay your own way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paud.....

Tiddlers wrote: »
    what's the reason for them not letting you go? Because they think you'll be too young or unsafe or because they don't want to/can't afford to pay for you to go?

well they didnt give me a reason tbh....id say its because it will be 3 nights away with my friends unsupervised and ill be surrounded by alcohol.....but like when i said ill be 18 and i can go anyway they just told me that when im 18 they can throw me outta the house so im badly caught that way even tho i know damn well they wouldnt.....i would get my brothers and sisters to get the ticket for me for my 18th!...so mum and dad wouldnt have to spend a penny

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

well they didnt give me a reason tbh....id say its because it will be 3 nights away with my friends unsupervised and ill be surrounded by alcohol.....but like when i said ill be 18 and i can go anyway they just told me that when im 18 they can throw me outta the house so im badly caught that way even tho i know damn well they wouldnt.....i would get my brothers and sisters to get the ticket for me for my 18th!...so mum and dad wouldnt have to spend a penny

If your siblings will do that, I think that could be your best bet!!

My folks alway said stuff like that when I was a teenager but they let me go to Oxegen when I was 17 so maybe your parents will cool down.My parents always liked a chat with my friends parents too so maybe that could be another option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Do you honestly expect your parents to pay over €200 euro for you to go on piss up with your mates to a field in Kildare. If I asked my parents to do that they would probably tell me to fúck off and pay my own way if I was so desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

You only have to be 17?

ah feck it, i didnt read your post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

k9xpa8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

k9xpa8.gif

You must make it your mission to post that as much as possible.

Would work rather well in PI.

You must make it your mission to post that as much as possible.

Would work rather well in PI.

I'm so tempted, then it'd be all like..

successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

k9xpa8.gif

Such an all-rounder.

OP, cop on and get a job.

Hotaru wrote: »
    Such an all-rounder.

OP, cop on and get a job.

It could go after nearly every second post in this forum.

Again, temptation.

It could go after nearly every second post in this forum.

Again, temptation.

Go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

heh ^^^

OP, two things struck me when i read your post... the first was that if you're paying your own way, then it really shouldn't be that much of an issue.

the second is that, when i was your age, i was extremely passionate about music, but had extremely strict parents. i found out fairly quickly that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. i wouldnt ever have gotten to see quite a few of my favourite bands if it wasn't for that one. the punishments were totally worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

the second is that, when i was your age, i was extremely passionate about music, but had extremely strict parents. i found out fairly quickly that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. i wouldnt ever have gotten to see quite a few of my favourite bands if it wasn't for that one. the punishments were totally worth it.

Now now, we totally can't be endorsing this stuff etc. etc., no matter how true it is :P.

But it's not like he can just up and disappear for a weekend without questions being asked.

can't endorse 'adults' using their free will and knowingly accepting the consequences? :pac:

point taken, but just remember that some things you'll never get the chance to see again... oxegen 2005... audioslave before they broke up and queens of the stone age before they kicked nick oliveri out and got crap! and rage against the machine! oh my god, rage against the machine! maybe im just overly traumatised by the fact i played by the rules and missed out on that one. five years later (oh my GOD! FIVE? FIVE YEARS?! I *CANT* BE THAT OLD, CAN I????) and im still not over it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Crumble Foo is right. Get your ticket, and then plead with your parents to let you go from now til July. If they cave in great. If not you can just go anyway or sell your ticket to someone else.

can't endorse 'adults' using their free will and knowingly accepting the consequences? :pac:

point taken, but just remember that some things you'll never get the chance to see again... oxegen 2005... audioslave before they broke up and queens of the stone age before they kicked nick oliveri out and got crap! and rage against the machine! oh my god, rage against the machine! maybe im just overly traumatised by the fact i played by the rules and missed out on that one. five years later (oh my GOD! FIVE? FIVE YEARS?! I *CANT* BE THAT OLD, CAN I????) and im still not over it!

RATM played like, 2 years ago. Most bands that play Oxegen play it again and while you may miss out on some once-off event, there's bound to be a different one the next year. The overall Oxegen experience is fairly similiar year to year so if it comes to having to miss out this year, there's always next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

A friend of mine has ridiculously strict parents so she's buying the ticket herself and not telling them.

Instead, she's going to say she's been offered work experience / a course in Dublin and that we're going to this course together. She's going to write an official looking letter from the school and everything and just not tell them about Oxegen at all. Her best friend's mum said she'll cover for her, and that she can stay with them after Oxegen while recovering.

I don't even see the point. The line-up isn't amazing. But whatever floats your boat...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Hahaha yer wan's parents sound like complete psychos!

OP my parents were the same about Oxegen 08. Nope you're not going. 3 days alone, no way. But I did those "attending" exams in the school, got the ticket money in a burst that way and then the rest from a part time job. They were sickened and a bit sour, but I just went. Paid for it, might as well, and I was 17 going.

If it's their money though suck it up, its a bloody expensive piss-up.

Hotaru wrote: »
    RATM played like, 2 years ago. Most bands that play Oxegen play it again and while you may miss out on some once-off event, there's bound to be a different one the next year. The overall Oxegen experience is fairly similiar year to year so if it comes to having to miss out this year, there's always next time.

ok, as far as it being fairly similar goes, maybe you missed the bit where i mentioned never again getting the chance to see audioslave or queens of the stone age with nick oliveri. ive been to better festivals than oxegen could ever be, and yeah, they were amazing, the atmosphere fantastic, and the line ups mindblowing, but ill still never get to see audioslave or that queens line up again.

as for rage, i seem to have this bad habit of being in the wrong country at the wrong time for them. i was in ireland when they last played new zealand, and i was in new zealand when they last played ireland. and i live in new zealand permanantly now, so oxegen's not really an option anymore. neither are most of the new zealand festivals, as they all (bar southern amp) happen on the north island, and i can't generally afford overpriced festival tickets *and* return flights.

ok, as far as it being fairly similar goes, maybe you missed the bit where i mentioned never again getting the chance to see audioslave or queens of the stone age with nick oliveri.

I did say 'most'.

k9xpa8.gif*

*Couldn't resist. SligoBrewer, you are a terrible influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Jaysus, in my day oxygen was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Jaysus, you'll be 18, grow a pair and go, they can't stop you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just buy a ticket and fecking go. They'll probably have reconsidered it by then anyway. Remember I asked my parents about going to it in december of 07, they said no but I had purchased a ticket by july and had good craic (Surprisingly I was too far too respectably sober and 18 :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement