Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths.

Options
  • 28-02-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm currently in 6th year, honours maths.
    Well after doing my mocks and I am 99% sure I got around 20-30% in honours maths. Although the results have not come back yet.
    Should I drop down to ordinary? I dunno what to do. Need some advice please.
    Steven

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Yes.

Drop.

Fail Maths - Fail your LC!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Yes.

Drop.

Isnt that whole 'Fail English,Irish or Maths, and fail your LC' thing gone?

No it isn't.

The majority of college courses need maths passed. Unless of course the OP doesn't want to progress to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

steven i can honestly say the diference is huge. i droped from honours to ordinary and i'm positive it's the best move i've made!!!!
    I'd say leave quick cos your gonna ave to go over stuff that you havent done since like 2nd year!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Drop.

When giving advice, give factual advice! You will not fail your LC if you fail maths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

It is the 28th February, in 4 hours, there are exactly 100 hours(days - nice eyes people :P) until we sit the English paper. Are you sure you can't push that 20% up to 40%? (or get that A1 even :P) We got our Mocks back last week. Most of us failed it and the teacher recommended most of us to stick to honours (except the two who got less than 5%).

However, it really depends whether you need it for points, and whether or not you genuinely tried to study for Maths.

Ciano1, I think that's right, it's just that some courses needs a pass in maths as a basic entry requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Mayoegian wrote: »
    When giving advice, give factual advice! You will not fail your LC if you fail maths.
    True, but a good load of college courses require it. TBH, it's not worth doing it if you're sure you'll fail it, at all. I'm sure at pass level you'll find it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

Well, I need either HD3 or OC3 Maths.
    BTW, the course is European Business with German in DCU.
    Steven

Mayoegian wrote: »

Hi. Ronan here.

It is factual that you practically fail it by failing maths. You won't find many courses that won't accept a pass in maths. Unless the OP wants a career in certain corners of the entertainment industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

H2student wrote: »
    It is the 28th February, in 4 hours, there are exactly 100 hours until we sit the English paper.

:eek::eek:

I thought it was June
    THE LC TIMETABLE LIES !!

• Advertisement

H2student wrote: »
    there are exactly 100 hours

Days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

When I was in LC around 12 out of 15 in my class failed the HL maths mock, but nobody failed the real thing. I personally went from a D1/C3 to an A1. So don't go completely by your mock- many people do badly in the maths one due to the nature of the course.

If you feel like you don't have time/will definitely fail the real one, consider dropping, but I wouldn't drop just because of a fail in the mock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Steven
    If you want, you could have a look at pass maths papers and do some of em to give yourself abit of confidence (availiable at www.examinations.ie). Best of luck with whatever you decide to do! Will it be too late to change when your mock result comes back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

you should definately drop if you only need a C in ordinary! there's no point hanging around because chances are you might drop last minute and there are some of the easy stuff you'll have to catch up with. don't doubt your mocks yet though, if you haven't got them back. the mocks are usually a lot harder anyway, and if you got the same paper as me, paper 2 was way harder than past papers IMO.
    unless you need it for points, i think you should drop asap. it'll only affect your other subjects. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

It is factual that you practically fail it by failing maths. You won't find many courses that won't accept a pass in maths.
    That's not true at all.

Maths is only required for courses where maths will be involved. You can fail maths and get into almost any Arts course if you have the points.

Not true. Check Qualifax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Hi. Ronan here.

It is factual that you practically fail it by failing maths. You won't find many courses that won't accept a pass in maths. Unless the OP wants a career in certain corners of the entertainment industry.

You say it best........
    When you say nothing at all.....

Forgive me. Is all that I can shay. Words don't come easily. Forgive may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Find me an Arts course that has nothing to do with maths that requires a pass in OL Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

Steven

If you only need a C3 in Ordinary level then I'd drop back mate. You'll be able to get a B with some basic study if you had the ability to stay in the Honours class up to now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I wouldn't worry too much about failing the Maths mock, OP - a lot of people in my class failed the mock last year and passed the real thing, a lot of them getting a C3 or above (no-one failed the actual LC exam). Now, that doesn't mean you'll definitely pass the LC exam - failing the mock isn't the end of the world, but it is certainly a wake-up call, and you will have to work hard to bring yourself over the line.

HL Maths is well-known for its difficulty, but in reality, quite a lot of the exam is based around performing straightforward mathematical procedures that don't deviate much from what you'll have seen in your book. (The "c parts" are what make the paper really difficult, and you don't technically need to worry about getting them right unless you're after an A or a B.) If you just practise all of the stuff in your book, you can actually do quite well in the exam. That being said, just learning all of the topics on the course, like algebra, calculus, trig and so on, requires a lot of time and energy, so if you're finding that Maths is using up too much of your time, definitely consider dropping to OL.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm currently in 6th year, honours maths.
    Well after doing my mocks and I am 99% sure I got around 20-30% in honours maths. Although the results have not come back yet.
    Should I drop down to ordinary? I dunno what to do. Need some advice please.
    Steven

And what if you drop down and then find you got 40% in the mock? Will they leave you move back to higher level or make you stay at ordinary level? Why don't you wait until you get your result back, have a chat with your teacher and then make a decision.

If you've been doing higher level all along you won't have any problems with the ordinary level paper, the only thing on it that's not on higher level is Simpson's Rule (in area and volume) which is simple. It won't take you three months to learn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about failing the Maths mock, OP - a lot of people in my class failed the mock last year and passed the real thing, a lot of them getting a C3 or above (no-one failed the actual LC exam). Now, that doesn't mean you'll definitely pass the LC exam - failing the mock isn't the end of the world, but it is certainly a wake-up call, and you will have to work hard to bring yourself over the line.

HL Maths is well-known for its difficulty, but in reality, quite a lot of the exam is based around performing straightforward mathematical procedures that don't deviate much from what you'll have seen in your book. (The "c parts" are what make the paper really difficult, and you don't technically need to worry about getting them right unless you're after an A or a B.) If you just practise all of the stuff in your book, you can actually do quite well in the exam. That being said, just learning all of the topics on the course, like algebra, calculus, trig and so on, requires a lot of time and energy, so if you're finding that Maths is using up too much of your time, definitely consider dropping to OL.

OP, Fahy says it best here. Look, if you want to keep doing higher level maths then keep it up, if you work at it consistently for the remaining months you will pass it, without a problem I think. The HL maths mock is savage compared to past exam papers, they just don't compare. Nearly everybody fails or nearly fails their HL maths mock but does fine in the LC so don't despair, if you are willing to keep working at it do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Yes.

Drop.

Hi. Ronan here.

What did I say about posting factual advice?:) Once you're in a hole, stop digging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Ah surely you'll get a D3. I'm hopeless at honours maths,but I need a c3 and i'll damn hell get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Ronan, it's totally untrue that if you fail maths you fail the Leaving Cert.
    However, a pass in maths is required for most university courses. Some like Maynooth will let you sit a special maths exam in September in the Leaving doesn't go to plan, but this option isn't widely available.
    It depends on A) what you want to do and B) how much work you put into the mocks, OP.
    As always, check with your careers advisor (or at least the relevant third level institution's site) to see if you need a certain grade. Then admit to yourself, as honestly as possible, whether or not you worked for that grade. Could you do a bit more without taking away from your other subjects? Even a bit of extra work in maths can get you places; I failed my mock last year, did a tiny bit of work and got a D3 in the mocks, now this year (I'm repeating) I'm putting a lot more work in and getting a high C.
    Think about what suits you best, but definitely don't forget to check subject requirements - for all your choices, not just number one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    You say it best........

^^^Haha, love that reply.

Stevo listen I dropped to pass maths there last month as I was doing 7 honours subjects for no apparent reason, listen it's the best decision I've ever made(academics wise).

You have way more time to concentrate on the other subjects(eg.Irish). I would definitely advise you to drop but ensure you wait and see what you actually got in your mock before dropping... your probably underestimating yourself.

Plus if you don't need honours for your course why bother?

In a nutshell;
    Pass - Is easy
    Workload - Much reduced
    Result - Win win situation
    IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

If I was to drop, I definately won't be dropping untill the results come back. But I am positive that I failed the mock.
    Looking back on it, I did start studying for maths (and all my mocks) way too late......as in 2 weeks before the mocks. Unfortunately cramming did not work too well for maths..lol.
    I know I don't need honours maths....but it's really just I am doing honours in every other subject and I probably could pass if i tried harder.
    Maybe I'm not trying hard enough? But now I'm worrying on how trying to greatly improve my result and how much time it's going to take and the effect it'll have on other subjects.
    The points for the course I want to do (European Business with German) generally fluctuates around 350 - 375. But its kinda imperative I get at least 480 - 500 points.
    God....my head is all over the place right now:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

If I was to drop, I definately won't be dropping untill the results come back. But I am positive that I failed the mock. Looking back on it, I did start studying for maths (and all my mocks) way too late......as in 2 weeks before the mocks. Unfortunately cramming did not work too well for maths..lol. I know I don't need honours maths....but it's really just I am doing honours in every other subject and I probably could pass if i tried harder. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough? But now I'm worrying on how trying to greatly improve my result and how much time it's going to take and the effect it'll have on other subjects. The points for the course I want to do (European Business with German) generally fluctuates around 350 - 375. But its kinda imperative I get at least 480 - 500 points.

This is just a suggestion because I've found them very helpful, but have you heard of Digital Grinds? They're CD-Roms which give you what is essentially a one-on-one grind in all areas of the Honours' Maths Paper. Grinds you can do over and over without having to pay extra for if you don't get it the first time. You can get one for Paper One and another for Paper Two. Apparently people have gone from a fail in the mock to a B in the real thing by using them, but whether that's true or not, they are quite beneficial and a lot more enjoyable than staring at a book for hours on end.
    From what I remember, they cost about €30 each. Worth a look, at least. And you can have a go at it on the site.

http://www.digitalgrinds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    You say it best........

is he THEE ronan keating? :eek:

Advertisement