Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts degree

Options
  • 28-02-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Can you please tell me everything about it that you know ? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/arts.ezc

Might be an idea to check out this link first and see if you can identify a more specific query after your research. I doubt if many have the time/inclination to write all they know about UCD Arts Degrees!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Yupp2010 wrote: »
    Can you please tell me everything about it that you know ? :)

As powerhouse said,

There's an incredible amount that can be said about it - its the widest ranging and most diverse degree that UCD offer.. maybe you could be a bit more specific with what you want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Yupp2010

WeeBushy wrote: »
    As powerhouse said,

There's an incredible amount that can be said about it - its the widest ranging and most diverse degree that UCD offer.. maybe you could be a bit more specific with what you want to know.

lol yeah, okay, fair enough, I suppose i want to know more about the whole cao part to it ; getting a place? For example it says you need maths , English and Irish. But do they all have to be at higher level.? (:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

lol yeah, okay, fair enough, I suppose i want to know more about the whole cao part to it ; getting a place? For example it says you need maths , English and Irish. But do they all have to be at higher level.? (:

No you need an ordinary level D3 in Irish, English and a third language. This page doesn't actually state maths, but I'm almost positive you need to pass it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I only got an E at Maths (HL) and still got in?

Anyway. Arts is fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

High dropout rate, low virgin rate....thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Are you the former or the latter? Or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I dispute that,

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

check qualifax.ie it will list all the course specifics, including the l. cert grades you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

They don't have to be higher I got in with ordinary maths and irish.

• Advertisement

Okay, Thanks! :D You guys are amazing :) one more question though. My mate said that if you pick history as a subject combination on your cao that the points go up to 450? That sounds sorta stupid to me..is it true? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Okay, Thanks! :D You guys are amazing :) one more question though. My mate said that if you pick history as a subject combination on your cao that the points go up to 450? That sounds sorta stupid to me..is it true? :confused:

Your mate is an full of shit.

cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Full of **** he may be, but that doesn't stop him being nearly right. Points for direct entry history were 430 last year. Its up in the air as to what they will be next year with the new arts course set up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

Hi Yupp

Maybe you should consider doing economics, or maths or something a bit more job orientated if you are going to do arts.

Greek and Roman civilisation isn't exactly great, unless your planning on a life in academia.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Full of **** he may be, but that doesn't stop he being nearly right. Points for direct entry history were 430 last year. Its up in the air as to what they will be next year with the new arts course set up though.

So whats the highest you think it could be?:( In your opinion ? :P

Hi Yupp

Maybe you should consider doing economics, or maths or something a bit more job orientated if you are going to do arts.

Greek and Roman civilisation isn't exactly great, unless your planning on a life in academia.

Im more into languages tbh but with modern languages you have to go abroad for a year. ...right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

Im more into languages tbh but with modern languages you have to go abroad for a year. ...right?

That's not so bad, at least you can go down the Diploma in Education route and teach, or work as a translator. It's just I did a Psychology degree and really should have done a degree with a bit more backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

So whats the highest you think it could be?:( In your opinion ? :P

Not quite sure but I think it'll be a safe bet to say that they will go down. Don't hold me to that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hi Yupp

Hate to admit it but he's right. Don't do subjects like RGC if you're not willing to spend the guts of 6/7 years in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Hi Yupp

Greek and Roman Civilisation is a practical subject for a career. It is the literature, history, art, archaeology, mythology and languages of ancient Greece and Rome.

It is a perfect compliment to English, History, Archaeology, Linguistics, Art History, Philosophy and some others.

It teaches you the skills to write up and analyse reports. This is a skill important for several civil service jobs and to a lesser extent in the business world.

Finally if one studies Greek and Roman Civilisation and goes into secondary teaching, they are qualified to teach Classical studies at leaving cert level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Greek and Roman Civilisation is a practical subject for a career. It is the literature, history, art, archaeology, mythology and languages of ancient Greece and Rome.

It is a perfect compliment to English, History, Archaeology, Linguistics, Art History, Philosophy and some others.

It teaches you the skills to write up and analyse reports. This is a skill important for several civil service jobs and to a lesser extent in the business world.

Finally if one studies Greek and Roman Civilisation and goes into secondary teaching, they are qualified to teach Classical studies at leaving cert level.

To be honest this is an unconvincing argument. There are many subjects which build up report writing skills. It might be true to say that Greek and Roman Civilisation is a perfect compliment to English, History, Archaeology, Linguistics, Art History, Philosophy and some others in the sense of giving a good old-fashioned liberal arts education, but that is not an argument regarding practicality.

Its practical application is limited. For example, you mention secondary teaching. I read a 2004 report which stated that Classical Studies was taught in just 65 schools in the state at that time and I imagine this has hardly changed. This would not recommend G&RC as a great employment option in second-level teaching, especially if it is paired with something like Art History or Philosophy.

Personally, I would be of the view that in an ideal situation subjects like Greek and Roman Civilisation and Philosophy should be in schools as where else will people be exposed to such enlightening material? But as long as you have multi-national captains of industry insisting that knowing the square root of Pi or the speed of light is far more important that will hardly happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

He's winding you up

And what about the test...? An aptitude test? says something in the prospectus?:rolleyes:

anyone?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not that I know of. For Arts? No way. :confused:

It says it in the prospectus :confused::confused: lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If your applying as a mature student you have to do an aptitude test.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

If you're doing the Ba (int) in Modern Languages, yes. If you go through omnibus and take languages as your subjects you don't. Only problem with omnibus is that German and Spanish are in the same group so you can't take those together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement