Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the XD card dead?

• 01-03-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, Looking for a bit of advice. My Olympus camera picked up a virus from my laptop while travelling this summer. I managed to get all the images off of the XD card, but after formatting the card, it's no longer recognised by the card reader, and I get an error message when I put it back in the camera.
    Is there any recovery software that'll restore it to working order?
    I don't really want to go and buy a new chip, as it was an eight gig one, and money's tight.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers, WP

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Did you format it as NTFS by mistake? Most cards need to be either FAT or FAT32 to be recognised by devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Agh, I could have, alright. It was about a month ago. Any way of getting it back to normal though? I'd do it now, only it's not being recognised.

Pop it back into the PC and see what it says in the Properties menu under File System. Also check your camera's manual to see what file formats it can read.

It's in the computer right now, which is saying the card reader is empty, that's the problem.

And the manual has neither NTFS nor FAT/FAT32 mentioned in it, after searching.

Ah feck. It might not be a very good card reader and can't read the "zapped" card. Apparently Olympus cameras have issues with messing up their XD cards :o And most card readers can't read them afterward either! :eek:

All I know is that at least the OEM that makes the readers for Fuji's cameras can read zapped cards. I'd rather you didn't have to buy a Fuji camera just to test the card though! :o

• Advertisement

Ack! The reason I use the card reader is that I can't find the lead for the camera. It's an Olympus, and thus not a standard USB head.
    I'll take a look though. Cheers for the help so far.

Getting an I/O error when I connect the camera to the computer.
    I think the chip is damaged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You don't need to connect the camera to the PC inorder to format the card. There should be an option within the cameras menus to format it.

THere is, aye, but when I select it, I get "Card Error" and it turns off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did the camera come with a free really small capacity xd card that you can try, just to narrow down if it's the camera/ card reader/ card/ etc that is actually causing the problems?

• Advertisement
Advertisement