Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jameson 12yr distillery reserve

Options
  • 01-03-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

i have a bottle of jameson 12yr distillery reserve.. And a regular bottle of jameson 12yr.

I've no intention of opening either at the moment, as i have plenty of regular jameson picked up in the pre xmas sales and from duty free's.
    So ... Whats the differance between the two 12yr's ? Other than packageing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

here's the pic's ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm sure there's a more complicated answer but 12 year old is a blend afaik and distillery appears to be a single whiskey.

I had a bottle of each of those last year. To be honest I couldn't tell the difference. They did taste very good though.

interesting..

I don't know what i paid for either.. But i don't think that there is much of a price differance.

i generally don't drink whisky/whiskey unless i get an urge for it.

Thats why i generally have a good stock pile of spirits and beer, i only drink what i want to drink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I had a bottle of each of those last year. To be honest I couldn't tell the difference. They did taste very good though.

The sherry taste off the 12yo is a nice addition, haven't had the distillery one though but would like to.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

The distillery edition changes from time to time, so it would be hard to say what the differences are. The last one I had (distillery edition) was quite bourbony - very nice and quite different to the standard 12.

i picked up the distillery version at the distillery.. Is it available anywhere else, or is it an exclusive thing

It's supposed to be only available in the distillery, but it pops up now and then in shops, but very few. I've seen it in German shops a few times.

midleton isn't a million miles from me, so i'll have on trouble finding some more

• Advertisement

There's a Midleton version and a Bow St version, different ones, of course. Maybe you can get them both in Midleton. They're both called Jameson...

only ever seen one type of jameson 12yr distillery reserve, in midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

AS Brockagh says there is a Distillery Reserve for Midleton Visitor centre and another one for the Bow St Visitor centre in Dublin. Well that's the way it used to be anyway. So including the Regular 12yo there are 3 versions of the Jameson 12yo.

The 3 are will all seem quite similar if drank seperately but there are differences that would be apparent if tasted side by side but not really worrying about unless your really into your whiskey.

I would not consider any off them better than the other just a variation of the Jameson style.

Enjoy ;-)

hmmm...
    Does the packageing of the different distillery version's vary from each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Different packaging alright

pa990 wrote: »
    hmmm...
    Does the packageing of the different distillery version's vary from each other?

More than lightly the main difference will be the canister. If you look at your canister there is an image of the Midleton Distillery in the back ground of the canister.

On the bottle the little paper disc on the shoulder says "The Old Distillery Midleton"

I have not got either of these as of yet but I'd imagine the Bow Street one say Old Jameson Distillery like the older versions.

Here is what they used to look like before they streamlined the entire range in a similar designed bottle and label theme.

Midleton Distillery Reserve
    And mentions Old Midleton disitillery on the Label instead of Old Jameson Distillery.

Old Jameson Distillery reserve
    This was the Bow Street version.

the bottle i got in midleton (last year), was in a green canister.

Online it is shown as a cream coloured canister on the jameson website, i was in the midleton dist, lately, and they still had the green ones.

If anyone is passing bow st, could they pop their head into the shop, and see what their version looks like

btw... The distillery shop was traditionaly expensive.. But lately they are better value than the super markets
    Ie.
    Jameson gold 65 in dist, 72 in tesco
    Midleton rare 129 in dist, 147 in tesco

pa990 wrote: »
    btw... The distillery shop was traditionaly expensive.. But lately they are better value than the super markets
    Ie.
    Jameson gold 65 in dist, 72 in tesco
    Midleton rare 129 in dist, 147 in tesco

That is good to know as I have been a major detractor of IDL's pricing strategy. €65 is the maximun that we should be paying for Jameson Gold. It is a lovely whiskey but certainly not worth the current €75 RRP.

How much is the Distillery reserve these days by the way?

i've yet to open that bottle..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Reviving an old thread, sorry, but I've just opened my bottle of this, got it during the summer. It's very nice indeed, but the going rate is €60, which isn't great when you consider the Green Spot and Redbreast is in that same bracket (in fact I bought a Green Spot a few weeks ago for €48).
    Still though, I can see this bottle disappearing over the next few weeks.

Advertisement