Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carving

Options
  • 01-03-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

hi folks, i would love to try some wood carving, just small things, not really sure where to start, i have basic enough skills with wood, can ye point me in the direction of some websites where i could learn more. i would love to try my hand at walking sticks and maybe a knife aswell. im robally jumping in at the deep end here.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

jap gt wrote: »
    hi folks, i would love to try some wood carving, just small things, not really sure where to start, i have basic enough skills with wood, can ye point me in the direction of some websites where i could learn more. i would love to try my hand at walking sticks and maybe a knife aswell. im robally jumping in at the deep end here.

thanks

No harm in jumping in at the deep end, works for most people:)

Probably the easiest carving material is lime, And it should be readily available in most sawmills, as they dont see it as a profitable commercial timber. Good sharp chisels , are a must. You are going to be totally put off carving by trying to carve with poor blunt tools. Same goes for whittling with modelling knives. Sharp tools are a necessity for all carvers, not just the professionals. You will be surprised how effortless your carving projects will be with sharp tools.

Google will give you ample sites for walking stick carving. Dont forget to look for " walking stick cabbage plants".Grow these and you will have a supply of free material after a couple of years. As well as the benefit of cabbage:)

Blackthorn, white thorn ect, as well as hazel will also be a good material for walking sticks, as well as ask, and bog oak if you are lucky enough to get your hands on some.

Happy carving.

kadman

Advertisement