Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on extras?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I picking up my new CZ 17 hmr tomorrow, my licence arrived the day before I was due to leave the country for 10 days. So I thought it would be safer in my dealers than in my house. Even though I consider myself to have a good degree of security, but I was in the middle of the Sahara, so I thought I would play it safe. Anyway, I am going to go for as many extras as I can afford, my list so far is:

A harris bipod,
    Scope, Swift, and of course mounts.
    Sling,
    Mod, maybe a wildcat.
    cleaning set,

I already had 200 rounds of hornday 20 grain ready to go.

I had to add the full amount up, however, I was hoping to get as many accessories that I can afford, and that I will use. Any thing I missing that people would recommend?

Also what do people use as a target when sighting in a scope, I was planning on just using some cardboard, with a suitable back stop of course. There are a few large mounds of earth in some field I use, so I was planning on just placing the carboard in front of one of them. I was thinking of sighting it at 100 yrds, would this be a suitable distance?

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Seems like a nice set up you have there :) Only thing that caught my eye was that you said that you're thinking of the wildcat mod, I don't think wildcat do a mod for .17HMR. Sak are a good mod though and here's a link where one the lads says they are about 55 yo yos ;)http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055841699

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sounds good. I use a piece of heavy ply and can stick shoot'n'see targets on it or pin target sheets up. I put it against a high ditch, backing onto a hill. Only thing you need now is shedloads of ammo and trigger time. Best way to get good is also the most fun, loads of practice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I'd add a trigger kit like Yodave to the shopping list and, if your good at it, touch up the trigger with a fine diamond file. Download a ballistic calculator (free) to find out the point of impact either side of your chosen sight in range and your good to go. have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Cheers lads.

The wildcat was recommended to me by another poster here, how had one on his 17hmr, but I will checked out the sak.

The trigger kit sounds good, but it a bit above my expertise at the moment, but maybe later on.

Ahhhhhh!!!!

I just been down to collect it and the shutters where down. He must be closed on Mondays. I had taken the day off work especially to collect it. I will have to wait until Saturday now. Anyway, since I have the day off I think I will try to make the best of it and head out with the air-rifle and shotgun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

how about adding a lamp to your list. would be handy for bunnies and foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 23 centre

what model cz did you go for and was it expensive?? I was thinking of a .17 hmr

centre wrote: »
    what model cz did you go for and was it expensive?? I was thinking of a .17 hmr

I went for the 452 Sillouette cost me e500, but that is without any of the above items. However, I don't see a need for a larger rifle in the intermediate future, so I would be planning on making this last. I want to get any bells and whistles on it that I will use. Once that is done it should last me a good few years.

Now all I have to do is wait until Saturday:( Though I start back work tomorrow, I have a look and see what I have on, I might try for a half or full day off on Friday if I have nothing in the dairy

doyle61 wrote: »
    how about adding a lamp to your list. would be handy for bunnies and foxes

Yeah I will be in the future, just not at the moment. Its on the next list;)

I ended up not having to go to work day, so I just picked it up. I have an hour or so to spear now before I head off to teach a class, so I'm heading off to the nearest field to put a few rounds through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

best of luck with her. hope she serves you well. let us know how you get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Enjoy you're new toy.

Advertisement