Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Test Road Signs

• 01-03-2010 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I have my test in Naas in a few weeks. Could someone let me know what road signs are the one's which come up the most? Also, does anyone have a step by step guide of what happens in a driving test? I am practicing on a 2 litre diesel car is there anyway I can get a small car off a driving school to do the test in as a small car would be easier for doing a three point turn and reversing around a corner..

Thanks,

NP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This may be of use to you.

As for driving a 2ltr diesel, if it were me i would use the car i was most familiar with rather than booking another car for the test. Most instructors will rent out their cars for the test, usually it's a case of doing a lesson for an hour, then doing the test in the instructors car. It'll probably cost you 120 euro or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Nervouspriest

Hi,

I probably will do the test in the 2 litre, as I will have had plenty of practice in it before the actual test. I haven't been driving long, but have booked the test before I develop bad habits. Just worried that I could conk out at the start of the test as I will be nervous. That hopefully is only a Level 1 mark..

I have read a good bit about the test, and observation seems to be the main reason why people fail, so I am going to go out of my way to make sure the tester sees me looking in my mirrors!!

For the technical check, would the tester just want you to point at where the brake fluid is for example, or would they expect you to know a little bit about the level of brake fluid/amount of oil there is in the car?

I have a CD with all the Road Signs. There are a lot of signs that I have never seen on the road as a passagner. I am just wondering whether they throw in really obscure signs or is it signs like T junction/Roundabout/Stop...

Does the three point turn/reverse around the corner come up in every test? I can reverese around a corner but they seem to want it done perfectly..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ????happy000

Hiya
    I'd reccommed going on to I.S.M. website theres a link to online pretest.ie .
    They have lots of video tutorials and shows you exactly what happens in the test and they have printable road sign and most asked questions .
    It costs E14.99 though .
    I just bought it a while ago but it seems handy enough as a added extra to help you pass.
    Any way hope that helps :):):):):):)

Hi,

What does ISM stand for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Hi,

I probably will do the test in the 2 litre, as I will have had plenty of practice in it before the actual test. I haven't been driving long, but have booked the test before I develop bad habits. Just worried that I could conk out at the start of the test as I will be nervous. That hopefully is only a Level 1 mark..

Don't worry about stalling. If you do, DON'T PANIC!! Just pull up the handbrake, put the car in neutral, start the engine again and carry out all your observations again before you move off

I have read a good bit about the test, and observation seems to be the main reason why people fail, so I am going to go out of my way to make sure the tester sees me looking in my mirrors!!

Remember that observation isn't only about using mirrors. You are observing all the time. Pay close attention to your observation at and on the approach to junction/roundabouts, when changing lane, overtaking or moving off and during your manoeuvres. These are all points on the test sheet where you can pick up marks.

For the technical check, would the tester just want you to point at where the brake fluid is for example, or would they expect you to know a little bit about the level of brake fluid/amount of oil there is in the car?

The tester will expect you to know how, where and when to check the level of the oil. How to check coolant, brake fluid, power steering levels etc. How to check the battery, where to put water for the screen washers etc etc. They will usually ask you if you would top up the brake fluid yourself. Your answer is NO, you take it to a garage! Also you have tyre checks to carry out too

I have a CD with all the Road Signs. There are a lot of signs that I have never seen on the road as a passagner. I am just wondering whether they throw in really obscure signs or is it signs like T junction/Roundabout/Stop...

They could put any sign in

Does the three point turn/reverse around the corner come up in every test? I can reverese around a corner but they seem to want it done perfectly..

You will have to know both manoeuvres inside out. You are expected to be able to do them competently, safely and allowing the correct right of way to other users

I'd suggest that you take some lessons with an ADI in your area. They'll probably carry out a lesson in your own car once it's taxed, insured and nct'd if necessary and you've L Plates from and back. Doing that will correct any issues you might have and build your confidence for your test day.

Good luck

• Advertisement

Thanks Mascot,

Glad I posted this thread as there is a lot more to know for this test than I originally thought. I am going to set aside time to study the road signs and rules of the road. Going to get my Sisters husband to go through the technical check as when I was doing it on my Dad's car he said "what are you doing that for" and "that wasn't asked on my test" which wasn't very helpful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I did my test last year (after over 7 years driving on a provisional!.. ) I had failed the first time around for not driving into the yellow box when turning right, observation - I hadn't checked to see if there was a bike beside the car i.e. well over my shoulder.. and a few other stupid things that I can't remember. The second time I did the test - they showed me the H sign for Hospital and all that came into my head was a helicopter pad (which I didn't say out loud) so I didn't get that one and then I said 'U Bend' for 'U Turn' and she told me the test wasn't about plumbing!.. I also didn't do too great on going around the corner - but I passed!!..

Main things are check and check again before pulling out. And just drive normally - as I was told on the first test that I was going too slow - even though I was driving at the speed limit (very very strange remark) - I think they like general cop on. Oh and they just asked me to point out the coolant, brake fluid, oil and water for the wipers - nothing too technical.

Best of luck!..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Thanks Mascot,

Glad I posted this thread as there is a lot more to know for this test than I originally thought. I am going to set aside time to study the road signs and rules of the road. Going to get my Sisters husband to go through the technical check as when I was doing it on my Dad's car he said "what are you doing that for" and "that wasn't asked on my test" which wasn't very helpful!!

You're welcome!!

There's another very important part you have to learn. The "Cockpit Drill"

You'll be asked to carry this out before you set off.

Make sure your door is closed.
    Put on your seatbelt
    Check your seat, base, back headrest.
    Handbrake engaged
    Car in neutral
    Mirrors, left, centre and right
    Auxiliary power and check enough fuel for the journey.

Seriously consider a few lessons from an ADI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭s.a.man

Hi,

Yes it does come up with every test. They dont expect you to do it so perfect as long as you dont hit the kerb and are not too far from it, you should be fine! The only thing I would say is to observe as much as you can, over do it, so you know that you are at least doing it and it will show great progress for the tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

Nervous......pm me your email and i will mail you a copy of a testers sign sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Hi nervouspriest, you'll be asked road signs from this page..

http://www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/roadsigns.html

Some of the signs that tend to be asked frequently include: hospital, clearway, pedestrianised zone and unguarded level crossing.
    Read through the question section of this site too...some of their questions are the same as you'll be asked during the test. The popular ones asked are:
    Rules of the yellow box junction
    When can you overtake on the left
    When should you dim your lights
    How to recognise a zebra crossing
    Reaction when blinded by oncoming vehicle lights
    Know your speed limits..motorway,regional & national roads.

Hope this helps you a bit and Good Luck:)

Thanks guys, all I need to do now is make sure I can drive properly!!

Good to know what signs come up more frequently than others. Some of the roadworks signs are hard enough to remember, and there seems to be a lot of them.

Advertisement