Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the big R has effected YOU and your shopping?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, after seeing another thread on the amount of retail outlets going bust in the city, and with indeed so many on the way out, what's everybody going to do for clothes when its literally only down to the very few?

Saw that Veromoda have gone into examinership -- Arnt they pretty much the only brand that "Born" supply?? Think will it be Bye Bye Born if they do go bust?

We're running seriously low on clothes shops.... So just wondering what's everybody doing at the moment, or indeed will do in the future if 80,000 of us have to shop from the same couple of stores?

Anybody buying online or heading up to the big smoke or up North a bit more?
    Kind of annoying knowing that one of the biggest counties in Ireland has to move out to get a few t-shirts that don't resemble what everybody else is wearing :rolleyes:...

This online shopping has an element of inconvenience for me... You click "Buy" in the hope that it will arrive before the day/week you need it, only to find that it comes that morning, and is 187 sizes too big/small, so you have to send it back and hope you get lucky the 2nd time round, another week later!

INPUT/IDEAS PLEASE!!! [Planning my contingency plan for when the urge to shop does come upon :D]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hate going to shops. Even during the boom I'd get most of my shoes and clothes on-line or over in US, as it's cheaper there and they have massive outlet villages so I can get everything in one afternoon. My shopping habits hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'm the same, I would buy at least 90% of my clothes online. Its much cheaper and I haven't found the same problems about size as the OP has. However before the recession I would have been buying a lot more stuff in local stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Try to get to New York once a year. Outlet shop are so cheap and can get all my clothes for the year at a fraction of the cost paid here or online. Also get to have a holiday out of it and I love New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'd be in the same boat. Galway is utterly rubbish for Mens clothes so most of my stuff is bought online or in the states.
    I went in at the weekend to see the same crappy check-shirts/shirts with Dragons in sizes that wouldn't fit a small anorexic dwaft.
    Why someone hasn't thought of bringing 'The GAP' or even opening a outlet village in Galway i'll never know.

I did notice though there are two new clothes shops opened on Abbeygate street. Near that new Burger bar and they look like they've got some nice stuff...but again no XL in most of the shirts/t-shirts.

Didn't consume much before, still don't now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

How has the big R changed my shopping habits? In two words:

Charity Shops.

Only used 'em for fancy-dress-parties (etc) before. Using 'em for real now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm shopping more now as things are cheaper. I do most of my clothes shopping in Limerick/Cork/Dublin though. Haven't noticed a reduction in the price of my weekly food shopping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

No loss really, none of the clothes in shops (one in particular in town) were designed for adult men anyways!

There was never any decent mens clothes shops here anyway and dont get me started on the prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I do most of my shopping online, but I check out TK Max once in a while as I may get lucky on the clothes side. I use TK Max for all kitchenware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I haven't really maintained steady employment in the 2.5 years I've been in Ireland, so I've never been able to justify buying nice things for myself. It's always pretty much been a case of replacing things as they fall apart, rather than shopping for pleasure as I used to do in Canada. Then again, I "knew" the stores in Canada better, and I certainly find that the prices here are not worth getting to know the stores here. Apart from New Look... I rather like them. Particularly since they sell shoes in a size 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Didn't consume much before, still don't now.

Ditto for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I did my shopping in Penneys when times were good. Still shop in Penneys (although it's awkward shopping in the Eyre Square one as I used to work there)

I was in undergrad during the boom years and as I'm getting paid (regularly) now in postgrad the recession has not really effected my spending, probably helped with lower prices really.

With clothes I tend to buy fairy expensive higher quality stuff when I can rather than buy lots of cheap stuff regularly. I don't mind spending money on good jeans, jackets etc as I get the use out of them and I do think you get what you pay for in fit compared with cheaper stuff. I have been lucky in the last while with t-shirts etc as my sis and parents were both in America last year so I got lots of good stuff on the cheap, but as above I think its worth buying decent stuff for fit and longevity. I also usually get vouchers for places like hanley's and BT's at xmas so I can pick stuff up in the sales also.

Clothes are one of the few things I have not really bought online yet, I suppose it mainly because I like to see the item on me before buying it and would be a bit afraid about sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Doesn't effect me in the slightest, shops in Galway are rubbish and always have been when it comes to the lads. Have always have gone to Limerick or Dublin.

Everything is tiny or florescent coloured!

When Born first opened in Galway it was really good, stocked Bench, Superdry and other fairly decent brands, nothing except Jack & Jones now, only buy Jeans in their.

Well sick of River Island, what's the all Cardigans in the mens section, CARDIGANS WTF like? Clothes are of the worst quality in their too. Topman don't make clothes for me anymore, same rubbish anyway!

Dunno why Galway doesn't have a proper sized shopping center, we are always complaining about Galways street being taken over by UK chains, we need a proper sized shopping center somewhere and fill with with all those chains.

Freedom which relocated from Eyre Sq to Abbeygate street can be good for Jeans.

Even getting shoes is a tricky affair, found myself in the never before situation of needing to buy 3 pairs of shoes(for work, Casual and Smart Casual), went to Barretts twice over two weekends and they didn't have a size 9 in any of the three pairs I picked out on either visit. That's just bad business, the most common size and they don't keep in stock, ended getting all three pairs in Dublin the following wkend. I'd prefer to shop local.

Zara, Pull & Bear, Bershka, Superdry, H&M, please come to Galway, all I want is some nice plain simple good looking clothes! They would clean up!

[/end]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm starting to think that opening a good mens clothes shop here would be a gold mine.

I haven't changed my shopping habits a whole lot as I didn't buy much before. I definitely always think twice or three times before I buy these days though.

I think shopping habits on the whole have changed in Galway.I was talking to a taxi driver this week and he said that he used to have to get out of the car to open the boot to put shopping bags in on 75 out of 100 pick ups on Eyre Square in 2008.These days he said he'd only need to open the boot for shopping bags maybe 3 or 4 times a week on Eyre Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

skelliser wrote: »
    No loss really, none of the clothes in shops (one in particular in town) were designed for adult men anyways!
    You have to wonder, are they sending subliminal messages to hit the gym or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

I'll probably get screamed at for being so dysfunctional.
    But here we go:
    A couple of pairs of black jeans and black tee shirts twice a year in Dunnes or Penneys, before, during and after the recession. :)

New York ??

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BobMcBob

My understanding is that a number of developers had wanted to open a proper shopping centre in Galway, it is the planning that has been the problem. The issue being the traffic congestion that the centre would cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

I've always found it worthwhile investing a bit extra in good quality jackets, coats, shoes, belts, jeans/skirts and mixing these with less expensive stuff from the likes of New Look / Penneys. All over Penneys / Dunnes is not a good look!

Can never understand the logic of people traipsing all the way to NY for clothes, flights and accommodation do not justify the cost!. Thought that had all ended since the demise of the celtic tiger...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Carolyyn wrote: »
    Can never understand the logic of people traipsing all the way to NY for clothes, flights and accommodation do not justify the cost!. Thought that had all ended since the demise of the celtic tiger...

I'm still wearing Levi Type 1's bought in the states 5-6 years ago to go out. Cost me $25 each. Haven't bought any jeans here since I came back, going into a shop and a pair of levis for €90 is a joke. If you haven't been and compared the prices you will never really know, I lived there for 3 years by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Clothes shopping in Galway has always been crap. It's a bit better now with New Look & Born but it's still not great. Still not cheap either.
    As for guys clothes shops- forget it. Unless the guy likes florescent colours & extortionate prices. It's so crap for guys!!

As for grocery shopping I have noticed zero change in Dunnes prices. I hate that Dunnes in Edward Square. Tesco is a bit cheaper..

Ah Lidl, shall I compare thee to a summer's day...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Xiney wrote: »
    Ah Lidl, shall I compare thee to a summer's day...

Oh do, Lidl compares most favourably

Lidl, you are the wind beneath my wings.

Lidl completes me.

There is never too much pepper on my Lidl paprikash and I would indeed be proud to partake of your pecan pie.

Take away Lidl, and the earth is our tomb.

You missed your calling Xiney, busking outside mens clothing shops is your future

See, you say that.

But you've never heard me play the guitar. You know the plinkity plonk man...?

Xiney wrote: »
    See, you say that.
    But you've never heard me play the guitar. You know the plinkity plonk man...?

No, never heard it but I'm sure it's an aural delight

I'm still wearing Levi Type 1's bought in the states 5-6 years ago to go out. Cost me $25 each. Haven't bought any jeans here since I came back, going into a shop and a pair of levis for €90 is a joke. If you haven't been and compared the prices you will never really know, I lived there for 3 years by the way

Well the fact that you lived there at the time probably helped.
    What I said was that I cannot see the logic of saving a few quid on some jeans, and a few other labelled goods versus the cost for most travellers of flights, accommodation in NY.

And yes I'm well aware of the horrendous price differences between here and there. You don't have to have lived there to understand that yes, unfortunately, poor old Ireland is ripped off left right and centre here on the price of labelled goods along with many other items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Carolyyn wrote: »
    Well the fact that you lived there at the time probably helped.
    What I said was that I cannot see the logic of saving a few quid on some jeans, and a few other labelled goods versus the cost for most travellers of flights, accommodation in NY.

And yes I'm well aware of the horrendous price differences between here and there. You don't have to have lived there to understand that yes, unfortunately, poor old Ireland is ripped off left right and centre here on the price of labelled goods along with many other items.
    People wouldn't do it if it wasn't worthwhile, it's nothing to do with me living there. You don't have to go to the Costa Del Sol every year on holidays, there's a lot more to do there than some sun resort as well as beaches and great weather during the summer.

You can go to one or two outlet malls and buy a couple of years clothing in a day if you need to.

• Advertisement

Well these people must have loads of dosh (or relatives living there). Personally my first choice of summer holiday would not be a overcrowded roasting hot crowded city. Give me lovely the beaches of Croatia or Slovenia anyday over that!

And how the hell, or why, would I buy a a couple of years supply of clothes in a shopping mall in one day!!?? Clothing does goes out of fashion you know, and what about getting them home??

Advertisement