Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend, 5/6 March

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Amond to score more goals than Raf this season, defo. I'm not trumpeting, but if we lost Blinkhorn we'd be in a bigger hole than we're in now with Raf gone.

Amond to score more goals than Raf this season, defo. I'm not trumpeting, but if we lost Blinkhorn we'd be in a bigger hole than we're in now with Raf gone.

So what you're saying is... Cretaro to score more than Amond?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Of course I am. We beat you four times last season with ease, why would I be in any way shape worried about playing you this year with the strengthening we have done?

You obviously weren't in the Showgrounds for the last game. You won even though you didn't have a shot on target that wasn't a penalty.
    Peers is a decent player. The rest are mediocre at best. The fact that you are trumpeting our fifth choice striker from last year as your saviour sums up your ambition. Boco, Peers and Cretaro were the Sligs team and two of them are gone.

Brush, Peers, O'Grady and Blinkhorn feeding the ball to Raf was the Sligo team that dragged us out of relegation. With Peers and Brush being irreplaceable imo.

First, Rovers were approcached by his agent to sign him. No-one 'unsettled' him. He was listed as a free agent by the PFAI at the time.

Second, he did not sign a contract with Sligs nor was he registered with them.

Third, if you paid him in the absence of a contract (which it appears you did), where does that money come in on your accounts? How does it factor in the 65%? Especially any bonuses. Was he paid cash....?

Are you sure you want to shake that tree?

Its academic whether we would take it lying down or not. There is no way on gods green earth the Rovers board would be amateur enough to pay a player who was not signed and leave the situation in limbo for months on end. If we were, I would be angry at them, not the player or club he went to. This is a Sligs amateur night production from start to finish, and only Fran Gain choking a simple call (MON is right, only one of us has his registration, its fundamentally straightforward) has dragged this into arbitration.

There's an ongoing legal case going on, so obviously there was some sort of contract signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

You obviously weren't in the Showgrounds for the last game. You won even though you didn't have a shot on target that wasn't a penalty.

I was and Rovers had plently of chances, including the non-penalty that they scored.

Point is we beat you 4 times with ease last season and we have strengthned big time while you are weaker. The only factor that might get you the draw is the first game of the season issue. Rovers might be rusty and with Twigg out might not take their chances.

Brush, Peers, O'Grady and Blinkhorn feeding the ball to Raf was the Sligo team that dragged us out of relegation. With Peers and Brush being irreplaceable imo.

Dragged you out of relegation being the operative words. You have a decidedly average squad and the fact you recking Podge Armond will score more than Cretaro is quite frankly delusional. Don't get me wrong, I know and like the youngfella, but he was 5th choice for us last season.
    There's an ongoing legal case going on, so obviously there was some sort of contract signed.

But the contract signed was not the standard contract required for FAI purposes and it was consequently rejected by the FAI. If you handed him money in the absence of a correct contract, bigger fools you.

He is a Rovers player, and rather than making ill informed comments about Rovers 'unsettling' him, direct your energies into finding out who made the mess at the Sligs end and try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

But the contract signed was not the standard contract required for FAI purposes and it was consequently rejected by the FAI. If you handed him money in the absence of a correct contract, bigger fools you.

So now there WAS a contract signed eh?
    :rolleyes:

And we all know that legally, contracts are worth nothing. Especially when they're the contracts that were valid at the time of signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

So now there WAS a contract signed eh?

And we all know that legally, contracts are worth nothing. Especially when they're the contracts that were valid at the time of signing.

I have no doubt that something was signed, but that was NOT the standardised contract that the FAI require for professional footballers, and they told you exactly that at the time.

So I go back to my original point. You paid him money in the absence of a proper contract, that is between you and him. So why are you dragging Rovers to arbitration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

doncarlos wrote: »
    The only players I'd take from the Sligo squad to strengthen the Dundalk squad would be Ventre, Foran and McCabe. With Possibly only Ventre as a definite starter

Ever see McCabe play? Class act imo, with quality free taking.

Headin up now, can't wait, C'MON BOHS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can I just ask, was tonight's match on RTÉ representative of the kind of quality in the league?

pic.php?oid=AAAAAwAgACAAAAAP-xjOggycehYsLWcaZqzZCJXenvF2uBsY4G26vZJcpmIluhVC726PlvdRLneVvOthWWVKY4flfzCMrH3ZN57ofqrYIBitM57kgtY9iuArAlPja4LAtvMZrZVuTO4qOXwd&size=normal

adore.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

amacachi wrote: »
    Can I just ask, was tonight's match on RTÉ representative of the kind of quality in the league?
    That match showed how this Bohs team can get results even when they don't play well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    That match showed how this Bohs team can get results even when they don't play well.

By having referees gift them a goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

pats 2 galways 0

We scored 1st then one of the strangest red cards i have seen, O Donnell sent off for diving in the middle of the pitch in a nothing tackle :confused:

we sat back then and turned it up in 2nd half , galway aint bad but the red card killed them. God bless sean Connor :D

Oh and for the shels fans, ref wouldnt let Pats wear their new red kit as it clashed with galways white away kit and their maroon home kit, we wore the yellow kit and they wore their home kit.

amacachi wrote: »
    By having referees gift them a goal?

Nah, it's usually Shams who get those decisions.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Oh and for the shels fans, ref wouldnt let Pats wear their new red kit as it clashed with galways white away kit and their maroon home kit, we wore the yellow kit and they wore their home kit.

3 years in a row now thats happened.

fairly sure arsenal play spurs with a bit of white on the sleeves.

least we didnt make them wear OUR away kit, eh sligobrewer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Given that I'm a Rovers fan you might expect me to say this under normal circumstances, and I'm not prone to overexaggeration ;o), but even by the standard of some of the referring decisions in the League of Ireland in recent times that penalty award at Dalymount was appalling. If thats the kind of luck Bohs are going to get this season we might as well award the trophy to them now. They didn't look like they were ever going to score tonight. Fingal were much better than I expected and really did deserve at least a point. Great save from whatshisface from a Fingal freekick in the first half. Crowe missed a sitter in the last minute when it looked easier to score. I wonder who Shoddy Collins might suggest Liam Buckley will be kicking this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I'm going into hibernation for another week. As far as I'm concerned the season starts next Sunday...ugh...

marwelie wrote: »
    If thats the kind of luck Bohs are going to get this season we might as well award the trophy to them now.

You got decisions like this and still finished 2nd last year. Shocking.
    I love the editing done to take out the piece before the corner that Peers scored the OG from. Never a corner in a million years.

Shup about refs please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

We were also robbed of 2 points by a dodgy dodgy ref tonight. Goalkeeper grabs the ball well outside his box when stranded to prevent us from scoring and gets a booking. 1 of many calamities.

CSF wrote: »
    We were also robbed of 2 points by a dodgy dodgy ref tonight. Goalkeeper grabs the ball well outside his box when stranded to prevent us from scoring and gets a booking. 1 of many calamities.

they have refs in the 1st division :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The ref certainly robbed us, but we should sign Cantona, the bleedin state of the pitch at Tolka, full of sand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Des wrote: »
    The ref certainly robbed us, but we should sign Cantona, the bleedin state of the pitch at Tolka, full of sand
    By all accounts the pitch the english played on was slated by almost everyone. Fergie said it was to blame for Owens injury. Pitches can be hard to maintain no matter what

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How did Kilduff get on in Drogheda apart from the goals?
    You got decisions like this and still finished 2nd last year. Shocking.
    I love the editing done to take out the piece before the corner that Peers scored the OG from. Never a corner in a million years.

Shup about refs please.

And here was me thinking dreamers75 was bitter :pac:

Great header all the same

By all accounts the pitch the english played on was slated by almost everyone. Fergie said it was to blame for Owens injury. Pitches can be hard to maintain no matter what

Believe me when I say this, and I know because I've been going to Tolka Park to watch football matches for many years, it is the worst I've ever seen it. Ever in my life, apart from the time it was actually a lake after the place flooded. When that water subsided the pitch was in better nick than it was tonight.

And the worst thing about is that last season the pitch was ok, but we played long hoofball.

We've now brought in some actual ball players, and they are given this crap to play on, it's baffling.

dfx- wrote: »
    And here was me thinking dreamers75 was bitter :pac:

dreamers supports Shels now :confused::pac:

dreamers supports Shels now :confused::pac:

Fairly sure i have never supported a 1st division club in my life :D

Unlike the rest of you peasants.

Fairly sure i have never supported a 1st division club in my life :D

Unlike the rest of you peasants.

We have cups though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Shels may have been robbed, but jaysus Quigley at RB is very very shaky.

In fact all of our back line would worry me if they continue playing like they did tonight.

On the bright side, Marc Hughes and Phily Gorman did well when they came on and Foley had a good game too.

That Shiels/Foley combo at CM looks quite good when it gets going.

We have cups though

So do we but we got to keep them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

dfx- wrote: »
    How did Kilduff get on in Drogheda apart from the goals?

If he was no.9 he wasn't terrible. Seemed to throw a lot of shapes instead of just getting down and playing the ball. Missed a few glorious chances in the first half. Goals were 1 on 1 opportunities, mostly gifted to UCD by Jamie Harris.

• Advertisement

fh041205 wrote: »
    , mostly gifted to UCD by Jamie Harris.

hehehhehehehehehehehehhe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nah, it's usually Shams who get those decisions.

The referees don't like rurals nicking our name, what do you expect?

Thanks for showing the peers vid. Brings back beautiful memories. Best night of last season other than the Bohs games and the last Dundalk away :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ref had an absolute shocker for both sides, peno certainly looked soft, booking Powell for winning the ball and getting injured was far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rovers one up at home to Shams

Game was delayed because of crowd trouble :rolleyes:

monkey9 wrote: »

god damn sligo fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Pretty sure it wasn't actual trouble, just a large crowd up from Rovers which caused the delay, according to their forum anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Stop posting nonsense. Just because some goon on foot.ie says it, doesn't make it true.:rolleyes:

1-1 now apparently, Chambers with a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Sorry to go back to this but this shit really pisses me off. You call yourself a league of Ireland supporter but all you you are doing is tarnishing the image of the league by re-posting this crap based on a single post you seen on another forum. Why would you this? You do realise that people will see your post and assume that there is some truth in it and it worsens the image of the entire league.

I have no idea whether there was any trouble tonight. As far as I can tell, there wasn't. But you see a single post on foot.ie about crowd trouble and rather than wait for any official reports or at least challenge the poster to provide more information, you go running telling tales on here. The image of the league is bad enough without people like you...

END OF RANT.

P.S. I have made my own enquiries from people that were at the game and the delay in kicking off was simply due to the larger than expected attendence and trying to get supporters through the turnstiles.

• Advertisement

Sorry to go back to this but this shit really pisses me off. You call yourself a league of Ireland supporter but all you you are doing is tarnishing the image of the league by re-posting this crap based on a single post you seen on another forum. Why would you this? You do realise that people will see your post and assume that there is some truth in it and it worsens the image of the entire league..

Yup, but lighting flares just before a minutes silence and then a section of fans singing through it is hardly model behaviour, is it?

Good game, could have gone either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Was there a minutes silence in all of the games last night Friday/Saturday ?

Just in from Sligo. Get your facts right ffs.

Happy with the draw given that we were toothless up front with Barrett playing solo and also happy that half of the team didn't end being injured or lost from being kicked into the stands.

From where I was I thought the Sligo shot that hit the bar bounced down behind the line to be fair. Good atmosphere. Showgrounds looked full and we brought a monster crowd.

stovelid wrote: »
    Happy with the draw given that we were toothless up front with Barrett playing solo and also happy that half of the team didn't end being injured or lost from being kicked into the stands.

Whats the story with Twigg?

Rumours abound etc banjaxed?

Whats the story with Twigg?

Rumours abound etc banjaxed?

Picked up a knock pre-season.

Honestly am hearing varying reports ranging from three weeks to a month or two. Hopefully will be confirmed soon.

stovelid wrote: »

From where I was I thought the Sligo shot that hit the bar bounced down behind the line to be fair.

Never was over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Game was delayed because of a serious breach of licencing regulations by Sligo Rovers F.C. We had the same problem up in Derry a couple of years ago. One "stile" open. Large crowd coming through. Man puts all the cash into his pocket with absolutely no accountability. No tickets issued. No turnstile to count numbers. He threatened me when I asked for my ticket. From what I gathered, a number of Rovers fans refused to pay unless they were given a ticket. This lead to a build up at the stile. The kick off was delayed while the Gardai went to sort the situation. They used common sense and let about 100 in free.

The game itself: Sligo had little to offer in terms of football. They wellied everything out of defence and chased down the ball every time Rovers had it. They ran out of steam in the second half and Rovers got on top. Having said that, the game could have gone either way. Mannus made a great save tipping the ball onto the crossbar and another great save 2 minutes into added time. Sligo were very physical and should have had two sent off, particularly the one for the tackle that put Baker into hospital.
    Rovers failure to take the three points is down to the fact that they had no fit striker.

Rovers failure to take the three points is down to the fact that they had no fit striker.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Yup, but lighting flares just before a minutes silence and then a section of fans singing through it is hardly model behaviour, is it?

Good game, could have gone either way.

The flare was lit before they knew there was going to be a minutes silence. Everyone in the ground was quiet for the minutes silence. The singing was coming from the fans in the large queue outside waiting to get in. Obviously they would have been unaware there was a minutes silence going on inside.

The singing was coming from the fans in the large queue outside waiting to get in. Obviously they would have been unaware there was a minutes silence going on inside.

Aye, I was delayed outside waiting to get in as well and a lot of us were singing in the queue. The first I knew about any silence was when I read it here.

Barret played yeah?

/loving this Twigg banjaxed thing and the fact he may be banjaxed for a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement