Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clancy Strand

Options
  • 01-03-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what the big metal gates blocking the boardwalk are for, went for a walk down there this morning and found that my way was blocked. I'm hoping that it is some form of flood defence but knowing this city it could be anything.

106495.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Saw them myself last night definatky flood defence. There are rubbber seals all down the side and in between. It does seem very forward think and not like the LCC at all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Good idea to have it there, but would make more sense to have them open except when there is a flood warning. Otherwise the viewing area and seats are blocked off to the public.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kess73 wrote: »
    Good idea to have it there, but would make more sense to have them open except when there is a flood warning. Otherwise the viewing area and seats are blocked off to the public.

There were very high water levels last night. I walked across the bridge around seven o'clock and the river was as high as I've ever seen it. The water wasn't as choppy as it was during the floods though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

They're on a timed control IIRC.
    They close automatically at night.
    I don't think they open untill about 10:00.
    Supposedly it's to discourage antisocial elements hanging out in there at night!

I suppose it's a well known fact that they can't climb 3 foot walls!:confused:

It's a very good system actually.
    Designed to be pretty much autonomous.
    It closes itself when the water level gets to a certain level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There were very high water levels last night. I walked across the bridge around seven o'clock and the river was as high as I've ever seen it. The water wasn't as choppy as it was during the floods though.

Cheers, did not know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

They're on a timed control IIRC.
    They close automatically at night.
    I don't think they open untill about 10:00.
    Supposedly it's to discourage antisocial elements hanging out in there at night!

I suppose it's a well known fact that they can't climb 3 foot walls!:confused:

It's a very good system actually.
    Designed to be pretty much autonomous.
    It closes itself when the water level gets to a certain level.

They can't be on a timed control, they look like they slot into place using the handles visible on the pics, there's no hinges or holes in the ground that they can receed into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Hmmmmm, I know what you were doing down in Clancy Strand.........
    Did Willie give you directions ;)

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, I know what you were doing down in Clancy Strand.........
    Did Willie give you directions ;)

more of a nighttime activity i would have thought, i wouldn't have the energy for that kind of thing at half in the morning. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Certainly looks to me as if they are inserted manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

foinse wrote: »
    more of a nighttime activity i would have thought, i wouldn't have the energy for that kind of thing at half in the morning. :D:D:D

Half a what? :D

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    Half a what? :D

nine, half nine!

Advertisement