Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Wireless adapter crashing PC

• 01-03-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭

Just changed to UPC at the weekend.

Laptops picked up wireless in seconds without bother. UPC tech connected Cisco wireless adapter to Windows XP PC. It sees the UPC wireless connection but after entering passkey and pressing connect the PC crashes, (blue screen). I had a Netgear wireless adapter (WG111v2) that I had never used so I tried that - it too crashes at same point. I presume this is a drivers issue, but know no more than that.

Anyone any ideas how to resolve this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Do a windows update

I would love to but can't get online

use the lan cable and plug into the back of the router with your laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Use Windows to manage your network connection (EZC or something like that on XP) and remove the adaptor network management software. That usually sorts this conflict out.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that Windows is as up to date as can be as its set to download updates as they appear. I then install them as prompted. I'm a bit surprised that it is crashing with both the Cisco and the Netgear adapters. Whatever about out of date drivers on one device; it seems strange that that would be the case with both.

Ardmore3 wrote: »
    Use Windows to manage your network connection (EZC or something like that on XP) and remove the adaptor network management software. That usually sorts this conflict out.

I'll look into that and try it out.

I had the same problem with a Cisco adaptor. Just using Windows worked resolved the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

+1 to Ardmore3. Even UPC advised me not to use the software of the Netgear dongle thingy.

How do I go about doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

How do I go about doing this?

I had the same problem with XP, uninstall the utility software that came with the adaptor then just connect the Adaptor and windows will detect the new hardware and will configure it automatically

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ok I've uninstalled the Adapter software, and just connected the adapter. Windows then detects new hardware and looks for drivers. When it can't find any it asks for disk, and finds them from there. I have set windows to manage my network connection, but it still crashes. Windows sees the wireless connection, lets me log on, tries to connect, but then crashes with blue screen. Going mad at this stage.

Has anyone got any other suggestions

Right click on the Windows Wirless Icon on the bottom right-hand corner. There should be an option to enable WZC. If the option is not there, do the following;

1) type services.msc in "run" and enter.

2) select wireless zero configuration from the list which appears in the next window.

3) double click on that option , and do whatever setting you want to do..

Thanks Ardmore for that suggestion. I've tried that and Windows finds my wireless connection, but as soon as I press Connect it crashes. The adapter software has been removed.

Did you disable the firewall on the router and see what happens?

it sounds more like a windows driver issue rather than a firewall issue. I would suggest getting onto the cisco site somehow and try and get the latest drivers for your laptop.

M

I am still having this problem and its doing my head in. How do I disable the firewall on the Cisco router?
    This problem is on a desktop PC. I have a laptop that connects without any problem. If I can get updated drivers from Cisco for the adapter with the laptop where do I put them on the PC. I have tried a netgear adapter as well and it causes the blue screen crash as well. With it happening with both makes me think that its some other conflict, but I really haven't a clue.

Both adapters use USB? If so, maybe a hardware problem with the USB port(s) or something else hardware related. (memory/mb?)

If IRQ conflict is ruled out, the last resort is to start from scratch and install a fresh copy of XP/Vista/7 to know for definite whats causing the problem.

I've tried a few different USB ports with both adapters and get crashes everytime. I have tried other devices in the ports and they are ok. The message never reports a IRQ conflict, but sometimes says page fault in non paged area.

• Advertisement

Googling brings http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/page-fault-in-non-paged-area-error/

I reckon RAM as its always on top of the list for these things. Try swapping out RAM or just do a wireless test of stick by stick of RAM until you find the faulty one(assuming multiple RAM sticks in your PC)

Advertisement