Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Benson

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Only saw this today but part Raconteur Brendan Benson is in Vicar St tomorrow night. €17. Think he is also doing a pre-gig Q&A in Trinity College.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

yknaa wrote: »
    Only saw this today but part Raconteur Brendan Benson is in Vicar St tomorrow night. €17. Think he is also doing a pre-gig Q&A in Trinity College.

Yup, I have my ticket a couple of months now, really looking forward to it.

Any details on the Q&A?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

dceire wrote: »
    Yup, I have my ticket a couple of months now, really looking forward to it.

Any details on the Q&A?

4 o'clock in the Exam Hall. Free entry but students get priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

students...tsssssss

Any word on stage times/support etc.?

Tickets say doors 7.30/show 8.30
    Support from the Heartless Bast**ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

4 o'clock eh, looks like I may have missed the boat on that one then. Nevermind roll on the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

What did you think of the gig. Maybe I was a bit tired, but I felt it didn't really spark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

What was the turnout like? I saw him there a few years ago and the place was less that half full!

It was about 75% full, I reckon. It was originally in the Button Factory, but that sold out and they moved it to Vicar Street. I think a packed button factory would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

ballbags

I tried to buy tickets yesterday in ticketmaster and it said they werent available, boy am i p***ed

Fairly full oke but not rammed. I enjoyed it a lot but not fantastic. This maybe down to it being a Tuesday night. He keeps interaction with the crowd to a low level too so it really is a case of come on play the choons, smile and head off. Still not knocking it but if it was a Friday and I felt less tired it could have been even better I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

he played Cork on Monday night and both he and the support rocked.
    The level of musicianship on show was very impressive. I got a huge 70's vibe off the BB part of the gig, and there weren't (m)any rock out tracks to get the young things up the front jumping up and down. However, for 20 bucks, I did enjoy myself. These were the first 2 nights of his tour so he apologised to us and thanked us for being so "understanding".

Good point about the price of the tickets. It was great pay just 17 euro for a gig of that standard, albeit not his best night. It's about time the promoters started getting realistic about ticket prices..

He is back for more in September!
    09/17/2010 - Dundalk, IE @ Spirit Store
    09/18/2010 - Belfast, UK @ Auntie Annie's
    09/19/2010 - Derry, UK @ Nerve Centre
    09/21/2010 - Galway, IE @ Roisin Dubh
    09/23/2010 - Clonmel, IE @ O'Keeffes
    09/24/2010 - Limerick, IE @ Dolans
    09/25/2010 - Killarney, IE @ INEC
    09/28/2010 - Cork, IE @ Cyprus Avenue
    09/29/2010 - Kilkenny, IE @ Pegasus at Kilford Hotel
    tickets available at Rollercoaster Records
    09/30/2010 - Tullamore, IE @ Thatch Rahan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

for those of us in Dublin, he's playing Whelans on 1st oct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

He has added an extra Dundalk show on Wednesday September 15th, first show is sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

He has added a few more gigs
    warrenpoint: the square peg on September 14
    Cavan: McGinnitys cellar on Sept 16

Hope he gets good turn outs as its so rare for a big artist to play such a big tour in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hatadearg

was at gig in Spirit Store in Dundalk on wednesday. Great performance but was on stage for less than an hour - came on about 10:05 and left at 11. I made a run for the toilets , met the owner and he asked - Is he finished ? and I said - hope not , to which Mark replied - get back up for the encore. Back up and the roadie and sound man were dismantling the kit and that was it.

As I said great performance - well worth seeing but two or three more songs would have been great - couple of people felt hard done by - suppose we are use to the 90 min gig minimum these days

so if you go - make sure you hit the toilets before he comes on - as you could miss 10% of the show !!!!!

he was supported by SJ McArdle - he was very good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Seen his gig in Cavan last night. He had support from Drew De Four.

A good gig, but not a great gig. I've seen this acoustic set before in whelans several years ago and it was extremely good back then. Still it was well worth seeing.

Not sure of the full set list (can't rmemeber one or two songs) but the following were played:

Poised and Ready
    Garbage Day
    Sittin Pretty
    Cold Hands (Warm Heart)
    Cherries
    Alternative to Love
    Meterie
    Playdown (Bee Gees cover)
    The Swamp
    Tiny Spark

Advertisement