Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Cork City

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey im 18 and going to cork city for 2 weeks during the easter holidays.. i was juts wondering if anybody had some ideas on what to do while im down there... but the problem is i havnt got much money so i'd be on a budget :) be really grateful if people could help out! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

6 Dutch Gold and then into the Brog.

In terms of Culture and that, I'd recommend the Gaol and the Museum in Fitzgeralds park (actually quite a good collection)

There's also a walking tour you can do, I presume the tourist office on Grand Parade would be best to find out about that (in fact, they'd be pretty handy generally, they can plan you an itinerary if you get the right person there)

As far as pubs and that, if you're looking for music, theres a couple of places on Coburg street.

Shopping is fairly straight forward, there's on main street.

Depends what your interests are, really. If you post what your into, you'll get a more tailored response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hey im 18 and going to cork city for 2 weeks during the easter holidays.. i was juts wondering if anybody had some ideas on what to do while im down there... but the problem is i havnt got much money so i'd be on a budget :) be really grateful if people could help out! Thanks!

Hi Sarah, how about you start by telling us what kind of things interest you so that we can tailor our responses accordingly? No point in flooding you with things you have no interest in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Xsarahrafferty1

kingtut wrote: »
    Hi Sarah, how about you start by telling us what kind of things interest you so that we can tailor our responses accordingly? No point in flooding you with things you have no interest in!

Well Museums are not my kinda thing, i love stuff thats entertaining, pool, bowling etc but as i already know of these in cork i was wondering if there's anything different. I might try the wildlife park, can you get a train/bus to there from the city?
    Any other ideas would be grateful... Been to the Mahion point, didnt find it too interested especially when your broke lol !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hi Sarah

A visit to Blackrock Castle Observatory is a good idea. I would also highly recommend taking in the Franciscan Well micro brewery too on North Mall, maybe get the guys to give you a guided tour if they have time and you ask nicely. Browse the English Market (just off grand parade and oliver plunkett st), even if you're not buying anything it will pass the time and you'll come across some interesting stalls. Take a walk around UCC campus, its the most beautiful in Ireland. Climb Shandon Cathedral, see its famous bell and get a birds eye view of the city. Ditto a visit to St Finbarrs cathedral (near South Gate bridge).

Thats all i can think of for now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I might try the wildlife park, can you get a train/bus to there from the city?

you can indeed - it's only 3 stops from Cork. it's a little pricey though - you might do better to head down to Cobh and take a walk on the waterfront. there's plenty to see there (Cobh) if the weather is nice, and it's much more cost effective.

there's the Crawford Art gallery too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

i love stuff thats entertaining, pool, bowling etc but as i already know of these in cork i was wondering if there's anything different.

hmm so you already know the bowling / pool places, how about the cinema? If you are a student you should be able to get cheap tickets!
    I might try the wildlife park, can you get a train/bus to there from the city?

You can indeed and I'm sure they have student tickets for both the train and the park if you are a student. In fact the train only takes a few mins and the train station is part of the park!! Very regular also!

There are a lot of shopping centres that you could look at but if you are strapped for cash then it is just window shopping I guess. Are there many of you going? A lot of bars have cheap drinks before 9 and some clubs let girls in for free etc... you could also join us boardsies on a night out :)

oh there is also cork Gaol but seeing as you said you are not into museums it might not be for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

kingtut wrote: »
    you could also join us boardsies on a night out :)

+1. you might be in Cork for the April meet up?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well Museums are not my kinda thing, i love stuff thats entertaining, pool, bowling etc but as i already know of these in cork i was wondering if there's anything different. I might try the wildlife park, can you get a train/bus to there from the city?
    Any other ideas would be grateful... Been to the Mahion point, didnt find it too interested especially when your broke lol !

Hey Sarah

If they are any good to you, I have some of the CMP 2 for 1 passes I could send onto you..You can use them to get into Fota or course if you are going with someone and a few other places http://www.loveirishfood.ie/our-brands/cmp.aspx if you look here it gives you a list of places that accept them they might save you a few quid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Xsarahrafferty1

corkcomp wrote: »
    +1. you might be in Cork for the April meet up?:)

My boyfriend lives in cork city :)) n im from dublin so ill be visiting 28th March till 2 weeks :) yeah when we go out we always end up paying loads! would love to know the bars of cheap drinking nights! :P

Advertisement