Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The TV Book Club on Channel 4, opinions

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

This has been on for the past few weeks. Was very excited about it at first but it really is a shocking waste of time. The whole concept of a book club is analysis of a chosen book. However the viewer has to sit through some interview with a writer or c class celeb who have a novel or biog to flog. Then there is a section where some smart arse comedian travels around the country getting people to pronounce words or find the origin of a pudding or some other bizarre thing.
    This brings me on to the panel and structure of the show. First off Jo Brand , who is not funny in the slightest and thinks the show is about her dry witticisms and asides. In fairness to Gok Wan, he tries to keep the whole mess on track and moving as the others get sidetracked often.
    Once or twice they have managed to get an interview with the chosen author and one gets some sense of the work. Mostly there is a quick description of the plot and a mostly gushing review and discussion about the book that takes up about 5 minutes of a possible 25.
    Ok I don't want the ending read out but the analysis is very superficial.
    What about the author's other work, what about a word about other new releases or happenings in the literary world? Nothing but candyfloss here guys.
    An opportunity spurned I'm afraid.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-tv-book-club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved to the main Literature forum from Reading Logs (the latter is just for reading logs)

Advertisement