Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do with the stones from your garden?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

When people have removed the stones from their garden, how did they dispose of them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We sent ours to our local recycling centre (Fingal). They accept rubble and stones but you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

You could try using them in a feature in the garden, a rockery for example, You could use them as a base for a garden shed, or as my wife did, as an edging for the lawn.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Foleyart wrote: »
    You could try using them in a feature in the garden, a rockery for example, You could use them as a base for a garden shed, or as my wife did, as an edging for the lawn.:D

I had thought about that but there are so many of them, I might just be better off getting rid of them.

I've a path and patio paving to put in but it would mean that I've have to dig down about 12" rather than 9" just to accomodate them. Some of them are large rocks (about 8" across) not just stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

If using stones as lawn edging, you may have grass growing among the stones and it can be awkward to cut.

I used excavated stone to surround part of my pond and encouraged bog plants and alpines to grow among them. They now self seed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

If using stones as lawn edging, you may have grass growing among the stones and it can be awkward to cut.

I used excavated stone to surround part of my pond and encouraged bog plants and alpines to grow among them. They now self seed there.
    My wife did a weekend course in stonework in Leitrim and hence the stone edging around the lawn. A quick run with a strimmer usually trims any bearded stones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

You could dig a trench and bury them .This might create better drainage for your lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I took a couple of tractor trailer loads of massive stones out of my lawn and dumped them in a hole. Now I wish I hadn't been so particular and that I'd just rolled most of them down to give better drainage.

Thanks guys,
    sounds like the smart thing to do is bury them in the garden to improve drainage.

I've to level out the garden as it's on a slope, means more digging <sigh> but it's better than having a swamp for a garden.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I did a couple of things. A base for the shed and a stone drain(I had a lot of stone!) The drainage channel has turned out to be a great idea now that we are living in the rain age. My neighbour is most annoyed that he didnt do the same thing.

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    I did a couple of things. A base for the shed and a stone drain(I had a lot of stone!) The drainage channel has turned out to be a great idea now that we are living in the rain age. My neighbour is most annoyed that he didnt do the same thing.

Thanks F,
    did the stone drain just run down the side of the lawn? Is there open stone or did you dig a tunnel, put the stones in there and then cover with soil?

Sorry if these are very basic questions. I should probably be wearing an L sign when I step into the mud patch that is my garden! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I have a fairly big garden which slopes slightly towards the house. I hired a mini digger and along the bottom of the slope, dug a trench about a foot deep. (As long as you go below the topsoil you should be ok.) Half filled it with stone and covered it back in. I also fitted a length of pipe that connects my stone drain to an existing drainage ditch at the side of the garden. Works well. I originally had thoughts of creating a pond and draining the water to there but small kids and ponds dont mix!

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    I have a fairly big garden which slopes slightly towards the house. I hired a mini digger and along the bottom of the slope, dug a trench about a foot deep. (As long as you go below the topsoil you should be ok.) Half filled it with stone and covered it back in. I also fitted a length of pipe that connects my stone drain to an existing drainage ditch at the side of the garden. Works well. I originally had thoughts of creating a pond and draining the water to there but small kids and ponds dont mix!

Thanks F, that's great. Unfortunately the entrance to my garden is too small to fit a mini-digger. Mind you, the garden isn't huge 5m x 10m so it's hard to justify!

The more I'm starting to learn, the more I realise that really getting the drainage and layout correct is all important. Otherwise it's just going to be a disaster and I'll be ripping sod up in a year or two anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

Hi,
    A good way to get rid of them is to advertise them locally as "Free To Take" I always look out for stones in the local ads as I've a big garden. Now that I have the rockeries finished I am looking out for stones for the borders.
    You will be surprised how fast they are taken.
    Hope this helps. :)

Advertisement