Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amount of litter on the Limerick bypass. A disgrace.

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I've always noticed it, but noticed it more yesterday in the shining sun. If you drive out the bypass from Finnegans roundabout, the amount of rubbish on both sides of the road, all the ways out, is nothing short of disgusting and disgraceful. If you take the slip road off the bypass for Raheen industrial estate, it gets worse, as its out of sight of any witnesses. There must be hundreds of empty bottles just thrown at the side of the slip road, conveniently all from the drivers side. Absolutely disgraceful and horrible.
    It looks like a 3rd world country...
    Why can't the council clean it up? This is what they should make the scumbags do for community service, clean the roads!
    I can imagine someone from clean efficient Holland or Japan driving here, what they would think, are we animals or what? But is that just Irish society? We don't give a f**k?
    You would notice it all the ways up to Dublin as well, and out along the dual carriageway to Shannon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

noticed that this weekend too as I ended up driving up and down the area on various trips bring kids to matches, etc. Raheen sliproad, Shannon/Ennis Road, Dublin road from city all out to Birdhill. Absolutely disgrace. Got into argument with someone recently who is on benefits (don't know what type) about SW receiptants cleaning rubbish - their attitude was they'd only do it if they were paid extra to do it. Why we can't use community service type sentances for this is beyond me. The councils certainly aren't doing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

noticed that this weekend too as I ended up driving up and down the area on various trips bring kids to matches, etc. Raheen sliproad, Shannon/Ennis Road, Dublin road from city all out to Birdhill. Absolutely disgrace. Got into argument with someone recently who is on benefits (don't know what type) about SW receiptants cleaning rubbish - their attitude was they'd only do it if they were paid extra to do it. Why we can't use community service type sentances for this is beyond me. The councils certainly aren't doing it anyway.

Have to agree, the M7 Southern ring road and the M20 to Adare are a disgrace.

Though I think it's actually the NRA's responsibility to maintain the motorway network.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Who have you contacted about this OP? (if anyone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I haven't contacted anyone but would be willing to. Who would the best one be though? The local papers? Local politicians? County Council? City Corporation? NRA? All of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Got into argument with someone recently who is on benefits (don't know what type) about SW receiptants cleaning rubbish - their attitude was they'd only do it if they were paid extra to do it. Why we can't use community service type sentances for this is beyond me. The councils certainly aren't doing it anyway.

It's not as simple as saying "hey you, you're on SW and we want you to get out there and clean up the highways & byways" I'm sure there would be training, H&S and management issues as well. I certainly wouldn't like to be on the side of a motorway picking rubbish as cars flew by me doing 100Km per hour.

do you think it would be "environment" or "road maintenance" as I do feel if I emailed the wrong person, it could be conveniently ignored...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That pile of rubbish dumped before Xmas on the John Carew link road off the motor way (near mini roundabout before Maldron Hotel) is an absolute eye sore. Its the first thing people come across when entering the city. The second thing is a caravan site across from the hotel with rubbish covering the field beside the site. Surely its the councils job to sort this out?

I'm from Limk, but I will admit, it's slowly turning into a sh*thole. The vibe around the city centre during the day on a saturday isn't good, not saying it's bad or dangerous, just not good...there's no auld spark in there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'm from Limk, but I will admit, it's slowly turning into a sh*thole.....

Slowly? Turning? It is a sh!thole and the littering is endemic. The city center has little to no major business in it and looks very run down. Just take a walk down O'Connell street and look in the basements of pretty much all the buildings, they're all overgrown with weeds and there's a nice layer of rubbish just to make it look colourful! Limerick needs a hell of a lot of attention!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

grenache wrote: »
    That pile of rubbish dumped before Xmas on the John Carew link road off the motor way (near mini roundabout before Maldron Hotel) is an absolute eye sore. Its the first thing people come across when entering the city. The second thing is a caravan site across from the hotel with rubbish covering the field beside the site. Surely its the councils job to sort this out?

Yes it's why we pay taxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

On the subject of messes, does anyone know who is responsible for leaving the area next to Woodies on the Ennis Rd looking like a rubbish tip? It's not nearly boarded up adequately and there is rubbish and materials thrown around everywhere. This really ticks me off about developers, if indeed they are responsible. Everything around it in the retail park is clean and modern and then in the corner you have this unsightly mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I agree. I would fully welcome any opportuinity to run down the life-time dole spongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Has anyone noticed it piling up lately?

The motorway edges are turning into tips. The worst so far is the Raheen offramp coming from the city direction on the M21, but everywhere is fairly bad.
    Clothes strewn about the Maldron ramp entrance since before New Years. Its pretty disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it was mentioned before... let me merge threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Thanks, I hadnt seen this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I agree the amount of litter seen lately on the M20/M7 motorways is bad, I think the NRA should be hiring a highway mainteance crew given the amount of motorways that are going to cover the national road network over the next year. It's been noted before the lack of upkeep on the rest areas on the new stretches of the M8 into Cork, big fines should be handed out to these litter bugs on the spot.

Advertisement