Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless router signal distance

• 01-03-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

Im getting broadband into my house but i want to share it with my folks, who are in a house about 20 feet away. If i hooked up a wireless router, could i connect with their laptop from that distance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

LowOdour wrote: »
    Im getting broadband into my house but i want to share it with my folks, who are in a house about 20 feet away. If i hooked up a wireless router, could i connect with their laptop from that distance?

Depends on a variety of things

the type of router e.g. 8.01 g/n
    the thickness of the walls of the houses
    wireless activity in the area
    plus it would be the distance from the router to the laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

there are alot of people around here that have an eircom router and i can pick the signal up from well over 20 feet the prob is the strenght of the signal i am seeing 2 bars out of 5 from houses 30 or 40 feet away (keep inmind this is threw a few walls) I am sure you can buy a router that has a stronger sig but i would try the one that comes with you broad band , also have alook at the sig from people around it will give you an idea of how it travels in your area , and dont forget about securing you network;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Generally, and I mean very generally - you are going to be dealing with a wide range of variables, I've found that it's doable to share a wireless connection between two houses, but you'd (of course) be way better off with a nice wireless N router than just using the first b/g to come to hand ;)

The only thing to note is that I can see four different Eircom boxes comfortably from my house but connecting to them is shakier thing :( Just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Cheers fellas.

The good thing is that my folks house is 20 feet away, and the next closest is about 50 feet away....and are unlikely to know how to access the signal. There wouldnt be too much broadband usage in the area so I should be ok.

Just need to sort myself out a good router so!

.and are unlikely to know how to access the signal. There wouldnt be too much broadband usage in the area so I should be ok.

just make sure you rename your router otherwise it will be preset as you broad band number which makes it easy to steal ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

I was under the impression that as long as an Eircom router is one of the ones from the last year or so (comes with WPA rather than WEP) the password isn't generated based on the SSID anymore... please don't say I got that wrong ? D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Your right, a recent Eircom router will use WPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

laptop must have N Wi-Fi supporting card to work over N class connection. No point to run N class router with G class network card on computer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

i was getting a good signal from a hotel 50ft away , i never used it cos i have my own broadband wifi .I,M just saying its possible.Make sure to password protect it eg WHd14Bx4a with a mix of letters,nos, capitals etcYou dont want a password like murphy12 that can be guessed.IF your familys house is on the right ,put the wifi router on the right hand side close to the wall or even facing the windows,ie walls can block or reduce the signal.
    YOU dont want your neighbours using up your dl cap or slowing your acess speed.MOST bb connections come with a free wireless router or you can pay 40euros extra for the wireless option.

I was under the impression that as long as an Eircom router is one of the ones from the last year or so (comes with WPA rather than WEP) the password isn't generated based on the SSID anymore... please don't say I got that wrong ? D:
    I am not sure tto be honest a guy i know living in a housing estate has been stealing BB and has yet to incounter a device he cant get the password for unless they have changed the name , saying that they could all be over a year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

I'm also having connectivity probs, but with UPC, and within my own home :eek:

I have the standard Cisco 2425 router that UPC supply, but I find my phone (Nokia e63) can't find the router half the time from my bedroom (guessing at 15 feet, 2 walls, with elevation taken into account. All hail Pythagoras! lol)

Question for the Komplett guy ^^ what routers do you have in stock for cable broadband? Would they even work directly from the wall (phone included) or would I have to go UPC -> New Router -> Wireless?

Not familiar with non-ethernet wiring at all lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 noviceman1

you could also boost your wireless signal from the router by getting your hands on an antenna booster or extender, heaps of them out there, reasonable priced, like this one, i'm sure there's loads on ebay also

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=48744&C=SO&U=Strat15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

hare05 wrote: »
    I'm also having connectivity probs, but with UPC, and within my own home :eek:

I have the standard Cisco 2425 router that UPC supply, but I find my phone (Nokia e63) can't find the router half the time from my bedroom (guessing at 15 feet, 2 walls, with elevation taken into account. All hail Pythagoras! lol)

Not familiar with non-ethernet wiring at all lol.

1. Try to change the position of your router (turn left/right, move one meter left/right side and so on (sometimes enough to make 3 inch antenna adjustment and va la... ) )

2. On Cisco 2425 you can simply remove (unscrew) one of antennas and replace with omni-directional antenna (you can get one of those in any PC store). Omni-directional is better to choose in house than directional (directional antenna better if you want to direct the strength of the radio signal move one way or another (to your neighbor etc... ))
    hope it helps :rolleyes:

Advertisement