Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend cctv for home?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

hey,

i'm wondering if anybody can recommend a good cctv system for my house. i want about 4 cameras, viewable from a remote location, so digital is the only way forward. i also want file storage on my pc. hopefully they'd be PoE.

the main thing is that two of them will be in the house, so i want them to be as unobtrusive as possible. i'd say my wife would freak if there was a camera in the corner staring at her!!!

any thoughts?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

*Moved to electrical.
    CCTV is a massive market. You need to decide what level you want and how much you want to spend. If there is an incident would you like to have evidence that would be admissable in court? If so keep away from DIY systems and insist the system employs digital watermarking.
    You want remote access, so ensure the DVR has a network card. Look for a DVR with DVD rewriter & USB . This will let you back up images to PC or other HDD.
    For unobtrusive cameras look at some miniture domes.
    Having cameras inside a house is unusual. Is this for a home office or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

koolkid wrote: »
    *Moved to electrical.
    CCTV is a massive market. You need to decide what level you want and how much you want to spend. If there is an incident would you like to have evidence that would be admissable in court? If so keep away from DIY systems and insist the system employs digital watermarking.
    You want remote access, so ensure the DVR has a network card. Look for a DVR with DVD rewriter & USB . This will let you back up images to PC or other HDD.
    For unobtrusive cameras look at some miniture domes.
    Having cameras inside a house is unusual. Is this for a home office or similar?

thanks for the feedback. it's exactly that, an office. no, it wouldn't need to be admissable in court or anything, but the big thing would be to be able to check it if i was away or anything. budget isn't the main consideration, getting the right thing is more important.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do you have a budget in mind?
    Are you looking to install yourself or are you pricing for installation?

budget doesn't really matter, it's more about getting the right thing. i'll install myself. (that wont be a problem).

I will Pm a link to some datasheets . Incl a few options on a cameras & a good recorder.

• Advertisement

I will Pm a link to some datasheets . Incl a few options on a cameras & a good recorder.

thanks!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

07734 wrote: »
    thanks!!:D

Could you please sent me the info as well

Thanks.

Sent Dave.
    If you need any more info let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The new Samsung range is very impressive. Most of the new cameras have the W5 chipset which offers 600TVL and exceptional performance at night compared with other brands. Their DVR's aren't bad either
    You should have a read of the CCTV code of practice that the BSIA published as it has some useful information for anyone starting out

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

hi koolkid ,
    will you post me your info sheet also.
    thanks,
    homewardbound11

• Advertisement

Sent you a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CheckBee

Also interested and will appreciate if you pm this info to me. Thanks in advance.

Sent you a PM.
    If you need anything else let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 decelec

Hi koolkid ,
    Any chance you post me your info sheet also.
    want to go with same but all outdoor
    thanks,
    decelec

Sent you a PM dec.

Advertisement