Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 modems - 2 broadbands

Options
  • 01-03-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

The family at home have 1 broadband connection. It is eircom adsl through the phone line. The 2 laptops connect wirelessly to it. All normal enough. Now they are getting a 2nd broadband connection(it is free through work, coming in on another phone line).
    I am suggesting they name them the same, but on different channels. This would allow the whole house to be covered. Overkill, I know.
    The original router is 192.168.0.1, dhcp on. Should I set the new router to 192.168.0.2? I presume it will have dhcp on also?
    I am confused, as I have only dealt with 1 broadband, with wireless access points.
    I want the computers to switch over between modems seamlessly.
    Thanks
    Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Pataman wrote: »
    The family at home have 1 broadband connection. It is eircom adsl through the phone line. The 2 laptops connect wirelessly to it. All normal enough. Now they are getting a 2nd broadband connection(it is free through work, coming in on another phone line).
    I am suggesting they name them the same, but on different channels. This would allow the whole house to be covered. Overkill, I know.
    The original router is 192.168.0.1, dhcp on. Should I set the new router to 192.168.0.2? I presume it will have dhcp on also?
    I am confused, as I have only dealt with 1 broadband, with wireless access points.
    Thanks
    Pat

Hi there,

You have need no set the second router to a different address, 'cos the 2 routers will have different SSID -you have 2 different phone lines- and for this reason you will have to make 2 different profiles for connection -of course with DHCP- and then you just click on your another profile when you want to change over. For properly work you have to set different WiFi channel. Don't forget set your privacy from WEP to WPA on booth!
    Actually not all routers have same IP address, for example many routers use 192.168.1.254 IP address.

Bela
    (a CompTIA Network+ student)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Pataman wrote: »
    Thanks
    Pat

Hi Pat, As you said just make sure the channels are different. As for IP addressing there seprate networks using different public IP addresses.

Physically look the same, logically there not.

To streamline switching, set the laptops to automagically log into the seperate networks.

I wouldnt name them exactly the same, try example1/2 just to streamline any troubleshooting you might need to do.

As for DHCP, can't see why you should turn it off on either router.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Having the two networks with the same SSID is certainly workable.

Setup DHCP on both routers to statically assign the same IP address to the two laptops. You may want to use two separate address ranges for the DHCP pool though as the OS will not request a new address when it roams from one to the other and you could get two devices on the same IP address.

Now the bad part. You can't share the NAT sessions between the two routers so when a laptop roams all existing connections will simply reset. This is a very good reason not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I knew this wasnt going to be easy. Thanks for all your replies. I think i will set them up with the same SSID.
    Thanks

Advertisement