Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westfields?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

How dangerous is this place?

Seems to be cropping up a bit recently in the Court reports as a haven for Scum to go drinking and then prey on the Populace and each other?

Is it somewhere you'd consider unsafe from dusk onwards? Is it obviously Scumbag ridden year round or is it only during the Summer or at weekends?

- I presume the Gardaí patrol their regularly as part of their usual Policing duties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The only Westfields that I know in Limerick is the wetland area off of the Condell road and the houses on the other side of it in the North circular road area.

I use it every now and then when I am rotating my running routes and have gone to the bird sanctuary there for some photography from time to time . From what I have seen it is a nice enough spot with no more by way of scumbags than anywhere else.

I have never seen a garda patrol of any sort there over the years, but the other side of that coin is that I have never been harrassed in anyway there when running. Maybe 6'3 16 stone runners don't get hassled as much :)

What the area does need, at least around the wetlands there, is some TLC by the local council. I have seen many families out and about there trying to look at the birds, and some are wheelchair bound. Some kind of viewing platform would be ideal, and better wheelchair access.

It gets littered a bit too, but anyone who uses the area can help with that, especially around the bird sanctuary. I tend to take a little bag with me when I go there now, and take away some of the rubbish I find near the bird areas and pop it into the next public bin along my run.

Apols if you mean a different area, but as I said, this is the only Westfields that springs to mind with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 streetsweeper

Raiser wrote: »
    How dangerous is this place?

Seems to be cropping up a bit recently in the Court reports as a haven for Scum to go drinking and then prey on the Populace and each other?

Is it somewhere you'd consider unsafe from dusk onwards? Is it obviously Scumbag ridden year round or is it only during the Summer or at weekends?

- I presume the Gardaí patrol their regularly as part of their usual Policing duties?

Its particularly bad on Wednesday, or "Devils Night" as the scummers call it. its a night where they go around stealing cars, getting lushed and as goose ryan told me "raping and pillaging" truly disgraceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

I used to go drinking there when I was a teenager :o

It was near there where that scumbag raped the woman

Man also got killed there after group of them were drinking down there few years ago if you remember the case

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/two-get-total-of-17-years-jail-for-brutal-killing-1044147.html

So be careful walking around that are as there would be undesirables around i'd suspect, although i haven't been near the place for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's fine during the day, might be a few winos there but they seem sound enough, always say hi if I'm running past them. Worst thing you might during the day is Salesian girls and Ardscoil guys being woefully indiscreet!

At night it used to be a gay cruising area, made the mistake of taking a short cut down the steps one night, got some pretty weird looks as i rushed out of there. Obviously haven't been back there at night since, I wouldn't go there after midnight, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I suppose anywhere in Limerick that's not adequately patrolled by the Gardaí is going to be a bit risky; I suppose that means anywhere in Limerick full stop.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

The man who was killed,died under the bridge near the boat club.This is some distance from the westfield pk area.I agree there is a problem in the area but is there any place that does not have people hanging around and drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I walk across the New Bridge nearly every day and often see a gang of winos drinking under the bridge at any time of the afternoon. I've sometimes seen them in Westfields and also across the Condell Road along the riverside walkway. They're best avoided.

Advertisement