Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running from Malin Head to Mizen Head

Options
  • 01-03-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm hoping to pick some brains in the regional fora. I'm going to try and run from Malin Head to Mizen Head later in the year over the course of a week or so. Google throws us rather vague descriptions for potential routes ranging form 360 - 400 miles. It might not seem like much of a difference but when you're running, it's an extra marathon and a half on a 14 marathon run.

The general concensus seems to be to go
    Malin Head - Derry - Enniskillen - Longford - Athlone - Nenagh - Limerick - Mallow - Macroom - Schull - Mizen head
    so I'm hoping if I post this in the revelant regional fora following this route, people might be able to advise me on the shortest road routes between the various points.

I'd also welcome any advice about food en route (restaurants that will do takeaway late, B&B's, early breakfast spots), roads to avoid, potential detours (e.g. where adding an extra mile might cut out a mountain) and really any local advise people might have.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Hi Guys

I'm hoping to pick some brains in the regional fora. I'm going to try and run from Malin Head to Mizen Head later in the year over the course of a week or so. Google throws us rather vague descriptions for potential routes ranging form 360 - 400 miles. It might not seem like much of a difference but when you're running, it's an extra marathon and a half on a 14 marathon run.

The general concensus seems to be to go
    Malin Head - Derry - Enniskillen - Longford - Athlone - Nenagh - Limerick - Mallow - Macroom - Schull - Mizen head
    so I'm hoping if I post this in the revelant regional fora following this route, people might be able to advise me on the shortest road routes between the various points.

I'd also welcome any advice about food en route (restaurants that will do takeaway late, B&B's, early breakfast spots), roads to avoid, potential detours (e.g. where adding an extra mile might cut out a mountain) and really any local advise people might have.

Thanks in advance.

I was thinking about doing this in the next couple of years.
    Are you still going to do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 icetara9

Hi, My Dad is completing his third Mizen to Malin run starting next week (10th June).
    For more info: http://runmizentomalin.blogspot.com

He would be glad to talk to either of you about organising the run and the best routes etc...
    Maybe you could join him for a few mile between 10 and 20th June depending on where you are. His full schedule is on a link from the blog. It is not the shortest but was changed this year to accomodate more fundraising points in Cavan and Buncrana this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'd love to join him for a couple of miles. My blisters should be healed by next week! Will pm you to get details.

Advertisement