Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC gaming help!!!!

Options
  • 01-03-2010 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

I couldnt find a pc thread so i posted here but anyways i rencently got a amd advent Centurion it has 640Gb hard drive Quad core processor 4GB ram and a ATI Radeon Hd4350 card and im wondering would i be able to play games such as gears and mass effect 2, will it run smoothly any help will do :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi Richy,

The regular games forum probably suits best

Console Modding >> Games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Hi Richy,

The regular games forum probably suits best

Console Modding >> Games

Ya My Bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Gears I have no clue, but the specs seem to be quite small so guess your fine. http://blogulate.com/content/gears-of-war-minimum-system-requirements/

I ran ME2 at high settings with a single core P4, 3Gb RAM and a 8800GTS no problem. Your graphics card is a small step below but otherwise I say you are good to go.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Gears I have no clue, but the specs seem to be quite small so guess your fine. http://blogulate.com/content/gears-of-war-minimum-system-requirements/

I ran ME2 at high settings with a single core P4, 3Gb RAM and a 8800GTS no problem. Your graphics card is a small step below but otherwise I say you are good to go.

woo thx Gunmonkey , ive a preety bad monitor anyways as long graphics are viewable and it runs smoothly im happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I couldnt find a pc thread so i posted here but anyways i rencently got a amd advent Centurion it has 640Gb hard drive Quad core processor 4GB ram and a ATI Radeon Hd4350 card and im wondering would i be able to play games such as gears and mass effect 2, will it run smoothly any help will do :D

Sounds fine to me. Such multi-platform games - with a few exceptions such GTAIV - tend to run well on such relatively modern machines.

For example, I'm running a quad-core with 4GB of RAM and a HD4570, and can run "Dragon Ages" at 1650x1080 with all graphics settings on and it's completely smooth. I'd be surprised if Mass Effect 2 was any more demanding. Your graphics card is not as high powered but I can't see it making a huge difference.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

just try one of the online system requirement checkers

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx

for example

i see , thank for the comments and the help was preety unsure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The requirements state that a 2900 XT is the minimum, as this card is probably somewhere between 2.5 to three times* more powerful than a HD4350 so I think you are out of luck I'm afraid. The 4350 is just not cut out to be any sort of a gaming card unfortunately and is purely a budget HDMI card for HTPCs. The 8800 GTS is at about 4 times* more powerfull than the HD4350 so not a great comparison either.

If I were you I would look at selling the 4350 and look at investing in a HD4670 for about 60 quid.

* Going by the rough G3D Ratings from here http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

marco_polo wrote: »
    The requirements state that a 2900 XT is the minimum, as this card is probably somewhere between 2.5 to three times* more powerful than a HD4350 so I think you are out of luck I'm afraid. The 4350 is just not cut out to be any sort of a gaming card unfortunately and is purely a budget HDMI card for HTPCs. The 8800 GTS is at about 4 times* more powerfull than the HD4350 so not a great comparison either.

If I were you I would look at selling the 4350 and look at investing in a HD4670 for about 60 quid.

* Going by the rough G3D Ratings from here http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

o ok but that would reqire me to open up my pc and changing the graphics card , which i be to afraid to do since i have no clue whats so ever :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Changing a graphics card is simple..Check youtube for tips if you've never done it before..Just make sure your PC can handle the power requirements for the new card.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

who needs those games when you have www.quakelive.com :)

Changing a graphics card is simple..Check youtube for tips if you've never done it before..Just make sure your PC can handle the power requirements for the new card.

how would i go bout knowing im not really looking for over the top graphics card cause ive a pretty adverge monitor , just need somthing that runs smoothly without any problems and looks good and playable :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

how would i go bout knowing im not really looking for over the top graphics card cause ive a pretty adverge monitor , just need somthing that runs smoothly without any problems and looks good and playable :P

It is really very easy just like lego :), you simply have to removed a single screw attaching the old card to the case, pop it out, pop in the new one and secure by screwing it in again. There are loads of howto videos on youtube or alternatively pop over to the building and upgrading forum either.

The 4670 is an decent card for a lower resolution monitors and as it does not require any extra power connectors there are no power supply worries either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Yup, I second a 4670..

All the info you need is on youtube, how to change graphics cards..

They should be available on komplett.ie

Remember, most people know zip about graphics cards, and the reason for that is they can be complicated, especially with so many model numbers, etc, sure look at the answers you got here, most are wrong..

stick with the 4670 and you can't go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Your card is holding back that machine, given that I don't know the exact specs of your machine.

I would recommend this it's an amazing card for the price. You would have to check if it is compatible with your current system though. Check your Power Supply Unit and see what the power output is.
    Jonny7 wrote: »
    Yup, I second a 4670..

All the info you need is on youtube, how to change graphics cards..

They should be available on komplett.ie

Remember, most people know zip about graphics cards, and the reason for that is they can be complicated, especially with so many model numbers, etc, sure look at the answers you got here, most are wrong..

stick with the 4670 and you can't go wrong

Do not go to komplette, they are definately not the best people to buy from ;)

The important thing to look for with cards is the type of memory they have, the bus speeds and core clock speed. There is no point in having a great card with huge specs and the clock speeds are very slow.

I think the three most important questions are
    1) What is the max resolution of your monitor OP?
    2) What is your budget?
    3) What are the most graphically demaning games you will be playing (ie. basically if you will need the ability to play the newest FPS games)

I think the three most important questions are
    1) What is the max resolution of your monitor OP?
    2) What is your budget?
    3) What are the most graphically demaning games you will be playing (ie. basically if you will need the ability to play the newest FPS games)

1. couldnt tell ya :P
    2. i like to soend no more than 100 euros
    3. hmm i would like to say gears and mass effect 2 , quake and possibly doom
    i dont want to be spending huge mounts of money cause i prob be spending most of my time on the ps3 , ive a 360 but im gtting rid of that so be using the money i get from that for pc card as i said before i dont need the best i need a card thats affordable and can do a great job not the best :D

i dont want to be spending huge mounts of money cause i prob be spending most of my time on the ps3 , ive a 360 but im gtting rid of that so be using the money i get from that for pc card as i said before i dont need the best i need a card thats affordable and can do a great job not the best :D

Right click on the Desktop and Select Properties. Click on the Settings tab. There should be a slider bar for screen resolution. If you slide it over as far as it will go to the right and post up the number (Should be something like 1280 X 1024, or 1440 X 900 )

Right click on the Desktop and Select Properties. Click on the Settings tab. There should be a slider bar for screen resolution. If you slide it over as far as it will go to the right and post up the number (Should be something like 1280 X 1024, or 1440 X 900 )

its 1280 x 1024

Do not go to komplette, they are definately not the best people to buy from ;)

The important thing to look for with cards is the type of memory they have, the bus speeds and core clock speed. There is no point in having a great card with huge specs and the clock speeds are very slow.

Well someone who is new can't really be expected to check out the specs of dozens of cards without even knowing where to start. After owning maybe a dozen graphics cards I've even given up on the spec sheets and just check the reviews on various sites.. one of the most comprehensive of which is www.techpowerup.com (good comparison charts)

I own a 4670 myself on a PC I use mainly for media, but have found is a great little card because its very newbie friendly, no need for that fiddly molex cable, and surprisingly can handle most games out now on a decent res.

Also, better komplett or dabs than some dodgy ebay site.

• Advertisement

The card I linked is nowhere near the best, but it will play any game you throw at it now. 60 euro over your budget though...

Well someone who is new can't really be expected to check out the specs of dozens of cards without even knowing where to start. After owning maybe a dozen graphics cards I've even given up on the spec sheets and just check the reviews on various sites.. one of the most comprehensive of which is www.techpowerup.com (good comparison charts)

I own a 4670 myself on a PC I use mainly for media, but have found is a great little card because its very newbie friendly, no need for that fiddly molex cable, and surprisingly can handle most games out now on a decent res.

Also, better komplett or dabs than some dodgy ebay site.

There's not too much technical about what I said, making sure the numbers are bigger on one card than another isn't exactly rocket science.

What is a "molex" cable? Never heard of that one before.

I don't think anybody recommended ebay. Still, you would want to be pretty ignorant to ignore a site based on nothing. Ebay is a great site to buy from, if you know even the slightest thing about ebay.

I recommend overclockers anyday than that dutch crap komplette. You have a problem with some of their products and need to send it back? Don't expect it anytime soon, they are useless.

its 1280 x 1024

Then definately go for the HD4670 cost about 60 quid as it will play practically anything at that resolution, all the moreso as the games you really want to play are not too demanding grapically. Certainly the 5770 is a great card but way overkill for your needs.

The newer HD 5670 for about 75-80 quid could be worth consideration either as it is roughly the same card but has Direct X11 support, not really all that important at the moment as there are only a few games out that support it at the moment but it does offer a degree of future proofing I suppose.

thanks marco you and everyone has been truly helpful and cant express enough of my thanlks so il go to pc world tomorrow and get the ati radeon HD4670 card fits in my budget aswell :D

There's not too much technical about what I said, making sure the numbers are bigger on one card than another isn't exactly rocket science.

What is a "molex" cable? Never heard of that one before.

I don't think anybody recommended ebay. Still, you would want to be pretty ignorant to ignore a site based on nothing. Ebay is a great site to buy from, if you know even the slightest thing about ebay.

I recommend overclockers anyday than that dutch crap komplette. You have a problem with some of their products and need to send it back? Don't expect it anytime soon, they are useless.

Well I've been buying/building PCs and graphics cards for friends and people for around 10 years now and in my experience they'll want to pick up a 3.4 ghz processor over a 2.13 core2duo.. because thats quite simply a large number, they don't know nor care much about delving into more stats about cache, architecture, etc, etc.. same with graphics cards really, the non-enthusiasts will just focus on memory, and not really know where to start otherwise (hence the high sales of rubbish 1 gig cards) I've got molex on the brain recently. The card you recommended is great, the 5770, I picked up one recently for a good quality mATX case, but misjudged and it was an extremely tight squeeze.. I can only imagine someone with a dreadful dell or hp case getting into the same situation.

Am not sure what you have against komplett.ie but we on the building and upgrading forum recommend it a lot. Overclockers are decent too, but there's that sneaky VAT charge at the checkout. Secondhand graphics cards on ebay? hmm, I prefer adverts.ie, and the ebay buyitnow prices are actually usually higher than sites like pixmania.ie.. and some of those sellers disappear overnight or deliver with awful packing (I've had a 7900GT delivered loose in an empy squashed cardboard box)

Anyway the answer to all of lifes problems is the 4670 so far :)

Well I've been buying/building PCs and graphics cards for friends and people for around 10 years now and in my experience they'll want to pick up a 3.4 ghz processor over a 2.13 core2duo.. because thats quite simply a large number, they don't know nor care much about delving into more stats about cache, architecture, etc, etc.. same with graphics cards really, the non-enthusiasts will just focus on memory, and not really know where to start otherwise (hence the high sales of rubbish 1 gig cards) I've got molex on the brain recently. The card you recommended is great, the 5770, I picked up one recently for a good quality mATX case, but misjudged and it was an extremely tight squeeze.. I can only imagine someone with a dreadful dell or hp case getting into the same situation.

Am not sure what you have against komplett.ie but we on the building and upgrading forum recommend it a lot. Overclockers are decent too, but there's that sneaky VAT charge at the checkout. Secondhand graphics cards on ebay? hmm, I prefer adverts.ie, and the ebay buyitnow prices are actually usually higher than sites like pixmania.ie.. and some of those sellers disappear overnight or deliver with awful packing (I've had a 7900GT delivered loose in an empy squashed cardboard box)

Anyway the answer to all of lifes problems is the 4670 so far :)

I have bought quite a bit of gear off komplett and so have my friends, they always seem to have a problem, especially the lads in Blanchardstown.

The machines which are supposed to be compatable are not, the hardware is not put in properly which has resulted in some serious problems. Customer service is not the best, although that may have changed over the past few years. Overall a seriously bad company to deal with. Zero trust in that company. Fine for getting some bits and bobs, but better off going elsewhere if you need a proper service.

Advertisement