Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway in Ballina?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Anyone know what happened to it? One day it was there, one of the girls said she was going on holidays, then next it's closed down and a FOR RENT sign is above it? Been lookin' everyone on the net to find anything about it but found nuttin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Are you sure that its closed? I did see the sign for rent over the shop and I thought that was for the first floor of the building? God don't tell me another business is gone out of the town. Things are gettin really bad :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I think they are gone, they've been closed a few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Frezzin

yeah I just don't get it thought. I mean, every time I was in there it was fairly busy. I don't see how they could have been losing money when they always had customers. =/ There's not even a sign saying they closed or moved or anything that I've seen.

Pity I liked the odd Subway. I was around town there the other day and the amount of buildings with for sale, for rent, for lease and the businesses gone out of them is frightening. If some new employment opportunities or industry does not come into this town soon it is going to be in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

The town has been in bother for a long time - high unemployeement when the rest of the country was nearly in full employment so can only imagine what it is like now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Yeah Subway closed a few week back along with its sister shop in Wesport. Trade was abysmal, no one is eating out now....eating in is the new eating out. It's difficult times for business that serve food.....only more going to close, the question is whose next?

Well those Subways are franchised. Perhaps the location of the shop was not really the best place although with the Ridgepool Hotel reopening again I would have thought the Subway would have done well there. Its a pity. All are suffereing at the moment, pubs, restaurants, taxis etc. It is getting very bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

The one in Castlebar is seems busy enough during the days but in the evinings it seems fairly dead. They might get more custom if they wern't so stubborn with diviating from their set menu.

Well I suppose it being a franchise they probably have to stick to the set up as regards what they serve. I love all their varieties of breads. Its the same all over though. Subways do very well at lunchtime. I remember when I was living in Dublin there would be queues out the door at all the subways but they did little trade in the evenings. Some of them had nowhere to sit down and eat and relied on the takeaway trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Not surprised its closed, I ate there once and it was terrible. Still they were better than that burger macs thing on main street, that should be closed by H&S.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats not the best of places but you should see it on a Saturday night after pubs and clubs empty its packed. Then again people will eat any ol thing after a feed of drink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Is the one in castlebar also gone now? :(

Was just on the website...clicked "mayo" and it listed no stores....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Seems to me that only cities seem to be holding onto their subways at the moment. The one in Claregalway also closed recently if my facts are correct. Meanwhile Waterford (where I am from) and Galway are after getting extra subways in recent times. It's a shame I always thought the one in Ballina was doing quite well, from what I had been told anyway.

So it's definitely gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Yeah hasn't been in operation for a couple of months

gustavo wrote: »
    Yeah hasn't been in operation for a couple of months

No, I meant the Castlebar shop!

Only thing is that all the signage and tables and chairs are still in there, so dunno if that's a sign it'll reopen or what.

With Subway all of the franchises are independently owned. But like, all of the ones in Mayo coulda been owned by one company that went bankrupt or something. That might explain the sudden closing of all the ones in Mayo. I was in Westport a few weeks back and their subway (which looked to have just opened) was closed down too.

Just checked their website there are there are now no listings for any town in Mayo. So thats the Ballina, Westport and Castlebar subways gone?
    Things are bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I ate in the Castlebar shop last week. Unless it has closed in the meantime.

good ridance to bad food. It was awful, on par with supermac for bad take aways.

• Advertisement

alex73 wrote: »
    good ridance to bad food. It was awful, on par with supermac for bad take aways.

So you'd like to see the closure of all restaurants whose food you don't like?

How nice of you

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Hey guys, im a guy in Ballina myself. I was Subway's number 1 fan. I ate there at least 3-4 times a week (yes i know not too good on the auld belly) but i loved it, the bread was beautiful , the selection was great, staff were nice and dont get me started on the Southwest sauce :D
    Anyhow im very sad to see its gone :(
    I now have to wait until i am in Sligo to devour a footlong Italian BMT :mad::)

gustavo wrote: »
    So you'd like to see the closure of all restaurants whose food you don't like?

How nice of you

I don't care if the close, I would not use them. Might go to a McDonalds if there was one. But the supermacs on mainstreet in Ballina is terrible. Subway was just in a bad location I think, was not a big fan, only tried it once, but it was better than supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

How come no one is lamenting the passing of the stuffed sandwich? They did great deals on soup and sambo. :(

Stuffed Sammie in Ballina closed? I was only in there like last week or so. Dis is horrible news :(

There is some other new place after opening up in it doing pizzas and kebabs I think. Too many fast food places and too many pubs and betting shops. Ballina needs another top shop. What a pity Argos did not open here instead of Castlebar or Sligo. It would have brought a lot more people to the town.
    And now we have the main street closed for over a month to finish the road works. I pity the traders and shops that have no back entrances. Imagine to be doing such a thing in a recession with business so bad.

steph1 wrote: »
    There is some other new place after opening up in it doing pizzas and kebabs I think. Too many fast food places and too many pubs and betting shops. Ballina needs another top shop. What a pity Argos did not open here instead of Castlebar or Sligo. It would have brought a lot more people to the town.
    And now we have the main street closed for over a month to finish the road works. I pity the traders and shops that have no back entrances. Imagine to be doing such a thing in a recession with business so bad.

They do say when times are harder that fast food places do well

It would be nice yea if Ballina had some of the bigger shopping options

Advertisement