Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some interesting reading...............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

dan_d wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0301/1224265372827.html

I am NOT startig a public vs private thread here, but for those who have not seen this, it makes interesting reading, although it's something we do already know.

Presume we'll all lie down and let this continue too....

Gombeenery will always be alive and well as long as government is in the business of running business, political appointments to semi state to the boards of semi state bodies is the best argument so far in favour of keeping the banks in private ownership, just only imagine what will happen if the banks are ever nationalised. Privatise all these useless semi state companies and we won't have to worry any longer about political appintees to the boards of semi state companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I am fully in support of any argument or movement that aims to do away with our tradition of making political appointments to key positions (or the continuance of non-key jobs so that politicians can appoint their friends to them).

But I wish people would construct their arguments better than this:
    RTÉ recently estimated that €2 billion of social welfare spending each year is due to fraud and inefficiency. It follows from this that the amount of waste in the public sector as a whole is at least €4 billion per annum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Strange article:(. Then again Casey's articles usually are imo.
    His articles strike me as fillers.

In the article he references an RTE estimate that €2bn is wasted in the Social Welfare budget annually due to fraud and inefficiencies. Maybe I missed that RTE report. Then from an estimate Casey extrapolates that €4bn is wasted annually in the Public Service. Where are his workings? Is it all guess work?

Obviously and naturally I',m against waste in the Public Sector, but you can't work off estimates and assumptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You can watch the show from this link on RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1207/primetimeinvestigates.html

Advertisement