Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Brazil: Emirates Stadium Tuesday 8.05pm

• 01-03-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

Latest withdrawals are Robbie Keane and Richard Dunne.

James McCarthy is carrying a knock but should be fit to make his debut off the bench

ROI starting Line-up:

Shay Given
    Stephen Kelly
    Paul McShane
    Sean St Ledger
    Kevin Kilbane
    Liam Lawrence
    Glenn Whelan
    Keith Andrews
    Damien Duff
    Leon Best
    Kevin Doyle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Latest withdrawals are Robbie Keane and Richard Dunne.

James McCarthy is carrying a knock but should be fit to make his debut off the bench

ROI starting Line-up:

Shay Given
    Stephen Kelly
    Paul McShane
    Sean St Ledger
    Kevin Kilbane
    Liam Lawrence
    Glenn Whelan
    Keith Andrews
    Damien Duff
    Leon Best
    Kevin Doyle

that the actual starting line up or your guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

that the actual starting line up or your guess?

its the line-up announced by rte.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's an appalling back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

No Fabiano, Pato or Ronaldinho.

The Irish Times have included the substitutes as

Long, Stokes, Wilson, Cunningham, Hunt, McGeady, Murphy, Westwood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Irish Times have included the substitutes as

Long, Stokes, Wilson, Cunningham, Hunt, McGeady, Murphy, Westwood

No McCarthy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

redout wrote: »
    No Fabiano, Pato or Ronaldinho.

They don't have Irish grannies. :D

keane2097 wrote: »
    No McCarthy :(

He's carrying an injury so cannot be confirmed as a sub, i assume.

The Irish Times article

There are few surprises in Giovanni Trapattoni’s side to face Brazil tomorrow, save for the name of Paul McShane at centre back after Richard Dunne was withdrawn by Aston Villa. The Dubliner picked up a knock in yesterday’s Carling Cup final defeat to Manchester United and will miss the friendly at Emirates Stadium.

McShane will partner Seán St Ledger in front goalkeeper Shay Given, captain for the day in the absence of Robbie Keane, who withdrew from the squad after aggravating a knee injury in yesterday’s Old Firm defeat to Rangers

Birmingham’s Stephen Kelly and veteran Kevin Kilbane will start in the full-back positions.

The Italian has opted for the same midfield quartet that started the World Cup play-off second leg against France last November.

Liam Lawrence and Damien Duff will start on the right and left respectively, with Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews set to man the centre of midfield.

Kevin Doyle will be joined up front by Newcastle United’s Leon Best.

Trapattoni has indicated his intention to use all the available outfield substitutes, meaning there are debuts in store for Marc Wilson (Portsmouth), Greg Cunningham (Manchester City) and James McCarthy (Wigan Athletic).

There remains a doubt over the latter because of an ankle injury but Trapattoni is hopeful the young Scot, who declared for Ireland to the chagrin of his countrymen, will have recovered in time.

Aiden McGeady and Stephen Hunt are likely to be deployed on the flanks at some stage, while free-scoring Hibernian striker Anthony Stokes and Reading’s Shane Long are expected to feature as well.

Republic of Ireland (v Brazil): Given (capt), Kelly, McShane, St Ledger, Kilbane; Lawrence, Whelan, Andrews, Duff; Best, Doyle

Substitutes: Long, Stokes, Wilson, Cunningham, Hunt, McGeady, Murphy, Westwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Happy to see Kelly get a start at RB. God help us with McShane in there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Frisbee wrote: »
    Happy to see Kelly get a start at RB.

He will be eaten alive.

Still no Fahey. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

That defence scares me. Paul McShane and Kevin Kilbane are bit-part players in the second worst defence in the Premier League. Stephen Kelly seems to have at least one serious calamity in a match anytime he plays for us. As well as St. Ledger has done for us, it's asking an awful lot for an inexperienced Championship player to marshall our defence (because McShane certainly can't!).

Anyway, I have no idea why we're even playing Brazil. I mean, when's the next time we're going to be playing South American opposition in a competitive match?

Anyway, I have no idea why we're even playing Brazil. I mean, when's the next time we're going to be playing South American opposition in a competitive match?

Money.

Did anyone see this clumsy, confused Gah propaganda in the Indo?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...n-2084061.html

The real reason we are playing Brazil in London
    GAA, soccer fans and economy left shortchanged by move of friendly

Monday March 01 2010

AT 8.0 tomorrow night, Croke Park will be dark and silent, occupied only by pigeons sheltering from the March winds amid cavernous surrounds in the house of Hogan, Cusack and Davin.

At the same time, some 290 miles away in north London, the Republic of Ireland soccer team will be preparing for kick-off in a friendly international against Brazil. The Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal FC, will rock to an excited beat as a crowd drawn largely from London-based Irish and Brazilians, curious English observers plus some supporters who have travelled over from Ireland, settle in for what should be a very enjoyable occasion.

They will have paid between £37 and £59 for their tickets. They will also have spent substantial amounts of money on taxis, trains, buses, food and drinks on their way to the ground and will repeat it on their way home a few hours later.

Brazil and the FAI will receive hefty fees (Brazil considerably more than Ireland). Arsenal will do nicely too for the use of their stadium. Staff at the Emirates will be paid for an extra night's work while police will clock up overtime.

All in all, a profitable night on several fronts, including for the London economy as it picks up an unexpected bonus from a game between two visiting nations.

Quiet

Meanwhile, it will be a quiet Tuesday night back in Dublin which, incidentally, has been designated European Capital of Sport for 2010. However, as soccer supporters all over Ireland settle in to watch the game on TV they will be asking an intriguing question -- why is a friendly between the Ireland and Brazil being played in London when Croke Park is available?

Brazil have always been the pick of the attractions on the international friendly circuit and since this is Ireland's first game since the clash with France on that grim November night in Paris it looked like the perfect opportunity to put together a Croke Park extravaganza.

Apart from boosting the country's spirits it would also provide a major commercial boost to Dublin, capital city of a country locked in one of its deepest recessions for decades.

So why the Emirates, rather than Croke Park? Enter the FAI and their relationship with Kentaro, which describes itself as "one of Europe's leading sports rights agencies in the world of football".

Kentaro have promotional rights for Brazil, including lining them up for friendly games around the world. In broad terms, Kentaro pay Brazil and their opponents a guaranteed fee and then promote the game in all its facets including venue, TV rights, etc. All going well, Kentaro take in a whole lot more than they pay out.

Last November GAA and FAI representatives met for a general discussion regarding the staging of international soccer friendlies in Croke Park this spring. The GAA agreed, as a general principle, to greatly reduce its asking price for the rent of the stadium by comparison with what had applied for World Cup qualifiers. The fee for those was €1.35m but Croke Park's opening demand for a major friendly this spring would have been around €650,000. Presumably, that would have been a negotiable figure.

Kentaro contacted the GAA just prior to Christmas asking them to tender for the Ireland-Brazil game. The GAA replied that, in line with previous arrangements since Croke Park was opened up in 2007, they would deal only with the FAI.

All soccer and rugby games staged in Croke Park -- including the Heineken Cup semi-final between Munster and Leinster last year -- were set up through the FAI or IRFU. The Heineken Cup is organised at European level by the ERC but the request for the use of Croke Park for the Munster-Leinster game came from the IRFU, who also approached Croke Park on behalf of the ERC when it looked as if the bad weather might rule out the use of the RDS for a Leinster game last January.

Kentaro responded to Croke Park in mid-January, informing them that they wouldn't be staging the Ireland-Brazil game in Dublin.

Assuming average ticket prices of €50, a crowd of 60,000 at Croke Park would generate around €3m in gate money alone with extra revenue accruing to the organisers through TV rights and advertising.

Apart from that, major international occasions are extremely lucrative for Dublin businesses. The Ireland-Brazil game could have been worth as much as €5m to the capital's economy. That's a serious injection of cash at a time when it's very definitely needed.

The GAA would also have done well out of the deal as would the FAI. Instead, the only Irish beneficiaries are the FAI while the loyal Irish soccer supporters, the Dublin economy and the GAA all lose out which is a terrible pity, especially in the current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

anyone know the number of tickets sold for this, i really really hope its only the two teams and the groundsman tomorrow night, would serve the FAI right

rossie1977 wrote: »
    anyone know the number of tickets sold for this, i really really hope its only the two teams and the groundsman tomorrow night, would serve the FAI right

It makes no difference to the FAI, its an away game so they get their fee regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No Keane or Dunne?

We are going to get hammered.

4 or 5 nil I'd be guessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

No Keane or Dunne?

We are going to get hammered.

4 or 5 nil I'd be guessing.
    No we won't. Both sides will take it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CHD wrote: »
    No we won't. Both sides will take it easy.

I kind of agree here tbh.

Unless they get an early goal or two and decide to show off but I reckon there are going to be a few injured Brazilians with McShane playing.

when i first saw the defence i thought Mancini had got onto Trap to ensure Given had to work all night as part of this new intensive training regime but....

are we kidding ourselves by thinking we could name a stronger defence given the players available.... no finnan, o'shea, dunne. carr as far as i know is retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Aye it's a friendly but the Brazilian players are playing for their starting slots in the World Cup- we are playing for nothing.

We gonna get whooped!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That team is very poor tbh, hopefully McCarthy can pull through and get himself a few minutes at least, would like to see Stokes get a half also as he has been banging them in in the SPL this year, had so much potential at one stage a few years ago.

I'll predict 2-0 Brazil and them never really to get out of second gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Has the Brazil team been named?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

A possible Brazil midfield of Kleberson & Lucas aint to fancey looking either!!

Every Brazil player to get the ball and run at McShane.

Result = 56 - 0

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Indo not realising that Brazil are the "home" team and get to choose where to play it seems.

Would love to see Murphy get a cap, but it's unlikely.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Can someone please explain why the feckin' hell McShane is still being picked to play for Ireland ? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why the feckin' hell McShane is still being picked to play for Ireland ? :mad:

Probably because he's ginger so you get the full tri-colour:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I remember when he made his debut for Ireland and had a good game vs Koller he was suddenly the next McGrath! Had a Villa supporter in work slinging slags at my direction for being a Manu supporter and saying he was way better than anything United had and shows how bad a judge Fergie was! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

McShane!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have a feeling this will be Kilbane's swansong.

Would have preferred Stokes to Best personally but not too fussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

not suprised by that line up, didnt trap mention something about this game being an award for the lads who played in the qualifiers and then experimenting in the summer,

• Advertisement

I do think Best is a decent support striker though, would like to see how he does alongside Doyle up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

we are going to get trashed

Nilmar anytime scorer (13/10) looks pretty tasty

edit

here's the the Brazilian team according to goal

Here is the squad to face the Republic:

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Doni (Roma).

Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Gilberto (Cruzeiro),
    Michel Bastos (Lyon), Juan (Roma), Lucio (Inter Milan), Luisao (Benfica), Thiago Silva (AC Milan).

Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Josue (Wolfsburg), Felipe Melo (Juventus), Lucas (Liverpool), Kaka (Real Madrid), Ramires (Benfica), Elano (Galatasaray), Julio Baptista (Roma), Kleberson (Flamengo).

Forwards: Robinho (Santos), Adriano (Flamengo), Nilmar (Villarreal), Luis Fabiano (Seville).

(hasnt been update yet)

breaking news on ssn

Keane is back in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Guys; i don't understand-why are we playing in Emirates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That defence is f*cking atrocious. If we keep the margin of defeat down to two goals we will be lucky.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Guys; i don't understand-why are we playing in Emirates?
    Brazil are the "home" team, they chose to play some friendlies in Europe because it's easier for their european based players and easier to face european opposition. Why the Emirates I'm not sure, but it was down to the Brazilian FA.

Think an advertising agency might be involved as well? Platinum 1 maybe?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    breaking news on ssn

Keane is back in the team

I feel............

nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That defence scares me. Paul McShane and Kevin Kilbane are bit-part players in the second worst defence in the Premier League.
    I really hope Trap is just rewarding them for a hard fought campaign with this glamour tie and that he'll respectfully push them aside thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Aidric wrote: »
    I really hope Trap is just rewarding punishing them for a hard fought campaign with this glamour tie and that he'll respectfully push them aside thereafter.

Fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What channel is this going to be on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

What channel is this going to be on?

RTE 2, AFAIK.

• Advertisement

DazMarz wrote: »
    RTE 2, AFAIK.

yap and itv

Robbie Keane probably going to replace Best in the starting line-up.

FAI said “it is probable that Trapattoni will wait until the players have a light session tomorrow morning before deciding”.

Shame really, the only thing that interested me was how Best would do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Brazil are the "home" team, they chose to play some friendlies in Europe because it's easier for their european based players and easier to face european opposition. Why the Emirates I'm not sure, but it was down to the Brazilian FA.

Think an advertising agency might be involved as well? Platinum 1 maybe?

i don't think they chose it, they just do as kentaro tell them. they've bought the rights to organise everything to do with brazilian friendlies, from tv rights to pitching for opposition. they've paid the brazilian fa and the fai, and the emirates, so have to recoup their money from tickets, tv and advertising and the like.
    kentaro were also the reason the french fa got annoyed over the tv rights to the world cup playoff, as they handle rights to irish home games with the 'away' tv companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

More importantly

Gilberto is coming home :o

Headshot wrote: »
    Nilmar anytime scorer (13/10) looks pretty tasty

Brazil (-1) @ 5/4 and Brazil (-2) @ 10/3 look nice bets too.

Gonna throw a fiver on each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is Liam Brady's last involvement with the squad isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

SDTimeout wrote: »
    More importantly

Gilberto is coming home :o

he will be happy to see no graham kavanagh in the irish line up

This is Liam Brady's last involvement with the squad isn't it?

Yup, last time the team is meeting up before his contract runs out.

At least he didn't have to travel too far. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Fair play on Keane on coming back for this match. Maybe he'll just get first half or similar then let Best have shot.

I predict a 2-1 win to Brazil. We always play well against good teams, don't think it will be a walkover for them.

Not that impressed with the Brazil lineup really, still think Ireland have a good chance but only if McShane is injured in the first minute and has to be subbed off.

I think Best and Doyle would make a better partnership upfront than Keane and Doyle.
    Keane has always been to me more of an Attacking Midfielder than and out and out striker. Best and Doyle are more pure striker material, just hanging around the front rather than running all over the field like Keane seems to do and then not being there for the opportunistic strike when it matters, as he's still running back from defending or stuck in midfield again. Great player for sure but he's an AMC and should be played that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement