Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Brazil: Emirates Stadium Tuesday 8.05pm

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Point well made fullstop!

I can appreciate people mightnt agree but saying im talking out of my hole is hardly productive for any debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Good lad Keane, you keep throwing those arms in the air.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

fullstop wrote: »
    And you're talking out of your hole

oh my

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Oh well it's gone as most people expected.

The best thing about tonight is ending the uncertainty over McCarthy and securing his services for the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Overall impression of the game.....

.....meh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Point well made fullstop!

I can appreciate people mightnt agree but saying im talking out of my hole is hardly productive for any debate

Wasn't directed at you, I misquoted which is why I deleted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

One of few bright aspects of the match for me is Stephen Kellys performance, I hope he gets more games with Fulham and can push on with his career.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

keanes been very greedy tonight...
    When is he any other way? I had to laugh at him throwing the hand up after Best having a shot. This after he'd blown a chance 30 seconds earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Liam O wrote: »
    I think you may want to re-work your statistics. He is better than 100% of the Irish team ;)

I was going to write that but I was pretty sure Headshot would argue that Whelan or someone was better.
    quarryman wrote: »
    no he didn't, i did. slight hyperbole but i still reckon he has underperformed at the highest level.

he's no McShane, put it that way.

He said 'he has been awful'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Highlights are never kind to McShane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

noodler wrote: »
    Hahahahah. Are you a Celtic fan per chance?

Seriously, have you seen Hunt, Duff and Lawrence play? They actually play, they don't hide on one corner of the pitch like cowards hoping somebody gives them the ball in space. They can pass it, they can work the ball, they can track back, they can actually get involved in the play even if they aren't one-on-one with a fullback.

Like I said already, when you misread (intentionally or otherwise) my post, it is not so much for this game but lets be honest, its been half an hour and he has hardly got involved.

No I'm not, but I watch them the odd time and I don't believe he is a 'liability' as you say. Duff is the only winger we have who is a better player than him imo. He can beat any defender he comes up against.

He just hasn't learned that in this Ireland team you have to come deep to get the ball because the midfield and fullbacks aren't going to do anything except play long-ball football, which is unfortunate because he has more raw talent than anyone in that Irish team imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agreed, more of Kelly's tough, but accurate, tackling would have been nice.

I don't want to see McShane in an Ireland jersey again ever. I don't jump to silly conclusions or anything, I have an open mind but I can not see any benefit whatsoever.

We have enough cover for him not to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

some individual errors at the back were hilarious tonight, if it was a competitive game i would be angry, but I had been happy to see McShane made sure i was proved right when i said he was good for a fukc up at some stage tonight

the man is a walking liability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

bill hurley,a a a a a a a!!

good man bill..

Bill got totally lost there on the Shane Duffy affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Very good 1st half, but they gave us a lesson in 2nd half. That 2nd goal was class, hard for any team to stop that.

Cannot get why a Robbie Keane who was out of the team until last night, stays on for 90 mins. What the hell will Long and Stokes think?? Surely one of those deserved at least 20 minutes.

What about giving Cunningham or Wilson a run too, not a sign of any of them either. Strange...but that has been Traps way of thinking...always been strange to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

fullstop wrote: »
    I was going to write that but I was pretty sure Headshot would argue that Whelan or someone was better.

He said 'he has been awful'.

I honestly dont have a clue of what game you were watching, the lad was brutal, all these bloody step overs and going no where with it, passing was brutal, the lad could barely score in a brothel , but he did score (ill give him that) a really great goal so that makes up for his awful play............

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bill got totally lost there on the Shane Duffy affair.

Good discussion developing here :), don't agree with the lads though.

No I'm not, but I watch them the odd time and I don't believe he is a 'liability' as you say. Duff is the only winger we have who is a better player than him imo. He can beat any defender he comes up against.

He just hasn't learned that in this Ireland team you have to come deep to get the ball because the midfield and fullbacks aren't going to do anything except play long-ball football, which is unfortunate because he has more raw talent than anyone in that Irish team imo

All of our other 3 wide options are better than McGeady. McGeady can be carried in the SPL, as evidenced at the weekend, but not at this level. The other three all know how to play football in all circumstances - McGeady needs too much time and space and can't do the dirty aspects at all.

Shane Duffy was born in Derry isnt he. So he is as such Irish. Why is he being dragged into this debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Andrews man of the match :confused: Baffling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

magma69 wrote: »

Picked by Matty Holland. Not so baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

magma69 wrote: »

Took his goal well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stupid friendly. We learned nothing. We aren't going to get to the world cup by beating Brazil.

Shoulda been an away friendly in Eastern Europe, so that we could start to prepare for our campaign. Instead, the FAI are finding a way to increase their wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

keanes been very greedy tonight...

To be fair to him, hes been out of training for over a week now according to reports....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

ireland players play for, wigan, hull,stoke villa and celtic, brazillians, madrid,inter,barca,man city,valencia etc. the scoreline was just

Eirebear wrote: »
    To be fair to him, hes been out of training for over a week now according to reports....:pac:

he played on sunday last :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

ireland players play for, wigan, hull,stoke villa and celtic, brazillians, madrid,inter,barca,man city,valencia etc. the scoreline was just

Had to laugh at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

redout wrote: »
    Had to laugh at that.

get over it

• Advertisement

get over it

get over what? the facts:p

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

Andrews man of d match?? Andrews was left on for the whole game?? Baffling..... I can only go by the 2nd half but McShane, Andrews + Keane were very poor.. Encouraged by kelly + whelan.. Also good to see McCarthy getting his first cap aswell although very limited possesion for him to impose himself on the game.

thekid9 wrote: »
    Andrews man of d match?? Andrews was left on for the whole game?? Baffling..... I can only go by the 2nd half but McShane, Andrews + Keane were very poor.. Encouraged by kelly + whelan.. Also good to see McCarthy getting his first cap aswell although very limited possesion for him to impose himself on the game.

the hole team 2th half was v poor, the 1st was a great display, i guess goals change games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

get over it

Aye, I suppose they did just complete a league double over Chelsea.

Must be with the big boys now.

Play much football yourself?
    redout wrote: »
    Had to laugh at that.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

good bit on the players from the north declaring for the republic and binging in plastic paddys.

all for it if the likes of O'hara, cahill, nolan can be added for the euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

slingerz wrote: »
    good bit on the players from the north declaring for the republic and binging in plastic paddys.

all for it if the likes of O'hara, cahill, nolan can be added for the euros

Nolan doesn't want to play for us, it's been said time and time again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nolan doesn't want to play for us, it's been said time and time again.
    Where's the patriotism? :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

noodler wrote: »
    Play much football yourself?

Agreed.

yes i do play much football,well i try lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Which is why he does that all the time :rolleyes:
    Of course some would say that continually trying to dribble past three defenders without looking up to pass the ball and then losing it every time isn't much good when you have strikers in the box waiting for a cross.
    He just hasn't learned that in this Ireland team you have to come deep to get the ball because the midfield and fullbacks aren't going to do anything except play long-ball football,
    Now you see, that's where I get very worried. He's 24 and has made his debut in 2004. He's played with the team over 28 times and he still doesn't know how they play???
    which is unfortunate because he has more raw talent than anyone in that Irish team imo
    Again another worrying statement, exactly when will this raw talent be realised? He's a professional footballer approaching what many would regard as a footballers peak in his mid twenties and yet his talent is still raw? OK I know he's playing for a very poor Celtic side in an even poorer SPL. But at some stage he's going to have to take responsibility for his own development.

If you ask me, he's a player who flatters to deceive. He can't handle the pressure of big games and buckles under it, which is why he hasn't produced the goods either for Ireland or in Europe. He's in a comfort zone in Celtic, and there's nothing wrong with that if that's what he wants to do. But don't tell me he's the best we have, because he's not. Not by a long chalk. He only touched the ball once in the time he was on, and he lost it. The rest of the time he seemed to spend hiding, his name certainly wasn't mentioned anyway.

Compare him to McCarthy who was on the other wing, he was all over the place putting tackles in and making good passes. If Leon Best would have passed the ball to him he could have scored towards the end. Now he looks like someone with raw talent and the mentality to realise it.

PS Andrews MOM WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Given

Kelly - Dunne - O'Shea - Ward

McGeady - Whelan - O'Hara - Duff

Keane - Doyle

My team prediction for the first Euro game. :)

• Advertisement

Given

Kelly - Dunne - O'Shea - Ward

McGeady - Whelan - O'Hara - Duff

Keane - Doyle

My team prediction for the first Euro game. :)

O'Hara in the middle? Why? Ward isn't getting a look in at the moment either. I think He likes St Ledge now btw, I'd say O'Shea will play right back too and Kilbane may well start.

Also, Lawrence has shown us in his last 5 Irish performances why he should start ahead of McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Andrews was the best irish player on the pitch in the 1st half by a mile! composed on the ball, and never gave the brazilians an inch of space... whelan was good 2, but he gave the ball away a lot.
    Also amazed 2 see keane doing so much closing down.. was impressed with him in first halff, he looked lively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

oconnon9 wrote: »
    Andrews was the best irish player on the pitch in the 1st half by a mile! composed on the ball, and never gave the brazilians an inch of space... whelan was good 2, but he gave the ball away a lot.
    Also amazed 2 see keane doing so much closing down.. was impressed with him in first halff, he looked lively

Whelan was a lot more creative. As soon as Whelan/Duff where off, we fell apart. Andrews was OK, but no way MOM.

McGeady did nothing. Keane was awful in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Whelan was a lot more creative. As soon as Whelan/Duff where off, we fell apart. Andrews was OK, but no way MOM.

yep but i tink we fell apart because gibson is clueless! mcgeady never does anyting ever, yeah keane was bad in d 2nd half but who wasn't?
    actually thought kelly was prob one of our best players on the nite..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

IvySlayer wrote: »

in fairness to Robbie, he worked his socks off in that first half and he is not 100% fit so you can excuse him in the second half, to be honest the whole team were ****e in the second half really so hard to single one player out

i think he should have been taken off of course

he isnt fully fit and there is no sense leaving him on in a nothing game when the youth could be given a chance

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,599 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

kryogen wrote: »
    some individual errors at the back were hilarious tonight, if it was a competitive game i would be angry, but I had been happy to see McShane made sure i was proved right when i said he was good for a fukc up at some stage tonight

the man is a walking liability

Agreed. When I saw the team list I was like "Oh well, thats us lost the game anyway". I think its tragic that everyone seems to feel the same. Yes, he can defend, however, his mistakes are generally what causes goals. Its not from sheer good play, but generally from his lack of ability of awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Still feel strongly that Robbie Keane is best suited as an AMC rather than a striker.

Would like to see Trap run a 4-3-3 setup, narrow mid with Keane, Doyle and Best up front (would like to see Coleman given a chance in seniors too) with Keane playing just behind the two strikers as an attacking midfielder rather than an out and out striker as he has the awareness to poke through some nice throughballs and can fallback into midfield to help out.

McShane should be just dumped at this stage, just get rid of him, he's an embarrassment :(

Advertisement