Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humidor Advice

Options
  • 01-03-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have just began to use my humidor today, I was lucky to get 2 boxes of Romeo & Julietts from Cuba as a gift yesterday.

I've just popped them in my humidor which i have never used before (it came with my watch). The note says the humidity should always be between 65%and 70% and the temperature should be around 18 degrees C.

When i opened my humidor it looked to be 55% humidity. Will this increase naturally?
    Will my normal room temperature be sufficient for the 18 degrees?

Thanks,

S.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Did you prime it first? A humidor will damage your cigars if you just bung 'em in without priming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

You need to add distilled water to the moisture elsement in the 'dor - this is the priming BeerNut refers too. Some humidors come with a bottle of it. Add a small amount to the 'dor and wait for a day. That should allow the humidity to settle. Unless the humidor is very expensive the hygrometer is unlikely to be very accurate so you are better off feeling the cigars instead. Keep the 'dor out out direct sunlight and away from heat sources for best results.

FYI I keep my cigars at much lower humidity 55%-60% for long term aging.

MT

Advertisement