Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband without line rental and contract?

• 01-03-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    I live in Tipperary and work in Athlone so I can remote login to work, will be accessing servers etc.. I'm looking for a decent broadband with no line rental or minimum contract and preferably cheap!! I wouldn't mind being able to download films or music (want to get a media drive first) but I can live without it.
    I checked and UPC Fibre Power is not available in my area, DSL from Digiweb is available but I need a phone line and Digiweb Satellite also is available.
    Anyone any experience with Satellite?
    Or can anyone recommend any others please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What you want does not exist. You won't get any broadband without a contract. Your only option would be pre-pay 4G midband, but that may or may not suit. Reliability is a serious issue on 3G.

Satellite is not broadband either, rather a download accelerator. Proper 2-way satellite is expensive, and the cheaper 1-way needs a phone line for the upload. There will definitely be a minimum term in the contract, and installation is normally in the region of €100-300.

If DSL is available to you, then you should go with that. It doesn't look like you have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

ok thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Is NTL or Choras avaliable in your area? They're not the best for customer service but may be an option, go business line if they are, far better service.

I checked availability in my area on the Chorus NTL site but it's not available, a friend also recommended NTL to me today, I was thinking of going with that, guess that's out now so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I checked availability in my area on the Chorus NTL site but it's not available, a friend also recommended NTL to me today, I was thinking of going with that, guess that's out now so

UPC's site isn't that up to date. Find out if people in your area have UPC service.

• Advertisement

I know none of my friends have it anyway, I might just give them a ring to double check so

Advertisement