Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other cardio options / injury - no gym

Options
  • 01-03-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

So to start here are the stats 1st Feb:
    Start weight: 14'5
    Height: 181cm
    Fitness level pretty poor but always able for a 20 min run followed swiftly by death and a pint.

I have generally been quite active but always went off the boil for months at a time, rendering my gym membership useless.

I had enough of that and stopped drinking and the occasional smoke went out just at the start of February.

I have been following this no gym fitness guide by james cracknell, called bust the beer belly plan, it's 12 weeks long.
    So i am going strong after the 2nd week; changed my diet totally and excersizing and noticeing improvements and weight loss.

Stats now:
    Weight:13'8
    Height: strangely, still the same:rolleyes:
    Fitness level, able for longer (40-45 mins), more regular runs with recovery time around 7mins until normal breathing, toned a small bit since the start and generally feeling a hell of a lot better...

...until now, sore knee, Doc reckons its Chondromalacia patella or "runners knee" :mad: and obviously i don't want to damage it further until i get the scan results (2weeks) and as it is no gym was wondering if there are any cardio workouts i can do without paying to use a pool or cross trainer? is pilates good for cardio? (some nice lad or lady nabbed my bike from the back of work so cycling is out)

Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I know i asked something similar a while back and the thread was closed, something about medical advice and what have ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

xgtdec wrote: »
    I know i asked something similar a while back and the thread was closed, something about medical advice and what have ya!!

ah right I see that there, but maybe different this time, i'm not looking for advice on lifting, just cardio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

beefjerky wrote: »
    ah right I see that there, but maybe different this time, i'm not looking for advice on lifting, just cardio

To be honest it all the same.

You are injured and under the supervision of a qualified medical practioner.

You should as your doctor or physio what cardio he reckons is ok for you.

Nobody on the Internet, even if they are medically qualified should be giving information like this.

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

+1

alright so, thanks anyway.

@xgtdec - right you be! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

B-Builder wrote: »
    Yes, the rules are there for a reason, you do not want any old advice which could cause further injury. If you only saw a GP then I would go see a proper physio too.

Of course its fine to ask for advice on finding a good physio in your area.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, the rules are there for a reason, you do not want any old advice which could cause further injury. If you only saw a GP then I would go see a proper physio too.

Of course its fine to ask for advice on finding a good physio in your area.

Thanks for the advice guys, it's appreciated! :o

I know there is a physio in Balbriggan there but I will talk to the GP again and get information there.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Bad advice can be real bad...i once had a gut tell me that vanilla protein was really nice....worst adice ever...5kg of tack i couldnt even force down me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cycle?

Much much lower impact on your knees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

B-Builder wrote: »
    You are injured and under the supervision of a qualified medical practioner.

Nobody on the Internet, even if they are medically qualified should be giving information like this.

This :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement