Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pub worse then geoffs/worst place to drink in town

• 01-03-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Anyone who posts here fairly regularly will know my feelings of the pub geoffs. Neeless to say it's not a Very high regard. Anyway, I never though I would see the day that I would dislike a place with such a passion that I would prefer to have a 24 hour lock in with the tossers who drink in Geoffs......er in Geoffs :)

then out of the blue comes the Cove bar. Now first of all, the layout and all of the place is grand and the price of drink in there was very reasonable and the staff seemed sound. However, if you were to take what I would conider the worst aspects from a few pubs around town you make up this place.

For example, when ruby lounge is busy most of us know it's a free for all and everyone basically stands wereever they want and it's a nightmare getting to the bar or into the woodman the Cove was just as bad but one third as busy. Then take what can only be described as the worst of scumbag element from the wacky apple coke them off their tits and put them in and finally add the music from geoffs and a few of the pretencious ****s who generally drink there and you have an idea about what unfolded infront of me the weekend.

One amusing story is that of basically a full scale riot broke out with staff and bouncers trying to separate said scumbags and what happens? They tell them not to do it again and not kick out anyone, tension on the place rivaled Belfast in the 80's.

One thing I must say in their defence though is that their were two big matches on the box so that may account for an amount of the messyness.

Anyway, so Sully doesn't move this into ranting and raving :) where is your least favourate place to drink? Put me down as 1 for the cove bar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

heard the cove is gone rough alright.
    Ill vote for geoffs or maybe murphys.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Really hate Geoffs, it's close between that or Muldoons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

As a matter of interest whats the age group in Geoffs these days. While since I've drank there but I'd imagine a lot of the crowd who drank there back in the 80's are still there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Downeses,you'd need a dust mask in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Yeah have been to the cove once or twice. I wasn't impressed.

Maybe you should change the topic to popular pub because there is tons of pubs in the city I wouldn't drink in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Isn't it a truism that the average Joe tends to think 99% of pubs are crap and they, and only they know the only decent one for miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

mike65 wrote: »
    Isn't it a truism that the average Joe tends to think 99% of pubs are crap and they, and only they know the only decent one for miles?
    I like most pubs. Its only one or two that I dont like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

bullpost wrote: »
    As a matter of interest whats the age group in Geoffs these days. While since I've drank there but I'd imagine a lot of the crowd who drank there back in the 80's are still there?

I think one of the things about Geoffs is that it attracts people of all ages (apart from maybe pensioners etc). Although I wouldn't be a fan either.
    mike65 wrote: »

Yes. I think what it comes down to though is people look for different things from pubs and will stick to pubs that provide them. Some people like busy clubs and the type of music that gets played in Rubys :eek: Some people like live bands or cheesy 80's music and will stick to those types of pubs.

As I work or gig most weekends, I tend to go out early during the week and for that either a band in the Lounge or a quiet pint by the fire in the Woodman can't be beaten in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I agree with you about the Cobh it's ok early on in the day for a match but at night reminds me of an episode of hollyoaks... other than Geoffs/Downes the Tap Room/Philly Grimes/Katty Barrys are good spots imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I just got that de ja vue feeling when I saw this thread title.

On my first visit to Waterford back in 1988 my London born friend and myself were told Geoffs was the place to go in Waterford. It was a shock to the system and not a good one. I didn't like it back then and I still don't.

It's years since I was in the Cove and it was done out like a church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I quite like the Cove, but mainly because it's the closest and the cheapest. The Uluru is one place I'm not fond of though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd walk for an hour in the rain not to drink in either the Uluru or The Cove. And I have done plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think the only pub that I don't like drinking in is Ruby Lounge. It's great for bands and I enjoy the music there but coming back from the bar with your pint unscathed is an art in itself and you generally only have two square foot to yourself. Toilets are also an inconvenient distance away seeing as the urge to go often comes about quite suddenly! My experiences in Masons have not been too positive either mostly due to barmen being too busy ****acting about rather than serving.

I've only ever drank in The Cove once and that was after a spot of bowling on a Monday night. It was so quiet that the place couldn't have done anything wrong so I don't really have anything to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I still like Geoff's, but less since they installed that new sound system recently.

Until then, the audio was nice quality, audible but not an imposition. Now, they've replaced the collection of old HiFi speakers (that sounded good) with some 'new' and 'better' installation speakers.

Result? Harsh and un-natural top-end, boomy and annoying sub-bass.

What a terrible mistake.

Couple that with the music now coming from a PC that the staff spend a lot of their time messing about with instead of serving, and the experience is definitely worse.

The music choice has also gone to the dogs. It used to be an eclectic mix of lesser-known stuff, but stayed away from modern dance/house/R&B etc.

Last time in there the music was some modern rubbish. Similar to what I'd expect to hear in Harveys.

Dear, Oh Dear.

Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think the only pub that I don't like drinking in is Ruby Lounge. It's great for bands and I enjoy the music there but coming back from the bar with your pint unscathed is an art in itself and you generally only have two square foot to yourself. Toilets are also an inconvenient distance away seeing as the urge to go often comes about quite suddenly! My experiences in Masons have not been too positive either mostly due to barmen being too busy ****acting about rather than serving.

I've only ever drank in The Cove once and that was after a spot of bowling on a Monday night. It was so quiet that the place couldn't have done anything wrong so I don't really have anything to add.

I must say that Ruby Lounge does my head in. Like it isn't much more narrow then some other bars then I have been in but people keep common sense and allow some sort of flow through the place, grrrr :mad: just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Geoffs is one of the best pubs in Waterford, objectively. Criticism of the pub tends to be along sectarian lines, as in, I hate 'those' sorts of people. It is regularly rated as one of the best pubs in the country. I'd hate to think that people would read a thread like this and bypass class pubs like Geoffs or Downses for some Tweedy kip put together out of a magazine.

Bit of redneck vibe off of these anti-Geoffs threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I like Geoff's but it gets too packed at the weekend.

Downes(eseseseses) is best.

I make no excuse Merlante in saying that it is 100% "those" sorts of people cause me to not like the place. Call it what you want but that is my opinion.

If you like it there great, good for you! I'm glad you have a pub in town you really like enough to defend. I sadly do not, I tolerate the places I go to.

Downses prob being my fav, (Yes you prob guessed I was going to say it) It's like having Geoffs minus the music and the pretentious assholes that drink in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just reading this thread, the impression seems to be given that all pubs should be all things to all men (and women) But what is wrong with a pub catering to a specific crowd, and if you don't like it, don't go there. You really don't have to have a vendetta - or even a gripe - about it.

At least it means that all 'those sorts' of people are all in the one place, so you can avoid them. :D

I agree about the music though, very intrusive, its hard to talk in there now.

I just saw the 'pretentious assholes' remark. I take back the smilie!

looksee wrote: »
    Just reading this thread, the impression seems to be given that all pubs should be all things to all men (and women) But what is wrong with a pub catering to a specific crowd, and if you don't like it, don't go there. You really don't have to have a vendetta - or even a gripe - about it.

At least it means that all 'those sorts' of people are all in the one place, so you can avoid them. :D

I agree about the music though, very intrusive, its hard to talk in there now.

But I do avoid it, its only a discussion we're having much like you would in a pub anyway. I'm not a keyboard warrior. IIRC the first thing we did at the first Waterford Beers was to debate Geoffs and if we liked it or not,

Don't take it so personally, If you drink in there there and you like it honestly good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

1 ting i rember abouts geoffs is it dont have a deacent sitter for when your having a wet fart day lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

1 ting i rember abouts geoffs is it dont have a deacent sitter for when your having a wet fart day lol

HAHAHA not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

me i like Geoffs....
    Never sit inside..... would alsways sit out back under the heaters....
    its a good pub.....
    nice food during the day as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ziedth. wrote: »
    But I do avoid it, its only a discussion we're having much like you would in a pub anyway. I'm not a keyboard warrior. IIRC the first thing we did at the first Waterford Beers was to debate Geoffs and if we liked it or not,

Don't take it so personally, If you drink in there there and you like it honestly good for you.

Lol, Pot...kettle... 'its only a discussion we're having ' yes, thats what I thought, you are the one with the sig. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Deise Dan

Good to see that pubs in Waterford are getting customers in the door. Everyone has their own opinion of pubs they like and dislike. Pubs and staff change all the time, what might be a great spot during the week can be a night mare at w'ends. Geoff's for decades has been popular haunt by many and will be full come Saturday night. Crowds bring crowds.
    In my opinion, staff play an important part in deciding about a pub, how often have you heard 'we'll be half the night getting a pint'. Waterford isn't too bad with door staff either, not like other cities, where they are on an ego trip.
    Difficult call as to best pub in Waterford. Every generation will have a different No 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Ziedth. wrote: »
    I make no excuse Merlante in saying that it is 100% "those" sorts of people cause me to not like the place. Call it what you want but that is my opinion.

If you like it there great, good for you! I'm glad you have a pub in town you really like enough to defend. I sadly do not, I tolerate the places I go to.

Downses prob being my fav, (Yes you prob guessed I was going to say it) It's like having Geoffs minus the music and the pretentious assholes that drink in there.

Basically, you have to be from Waterford to 'hate' Geoffs. Nobody who comes to Waterford from elsewhere really has a bad thing to say about it. You're entitled to your prejudice but I don't think it's reflective of anything other than small minded parochial mud slinging.

A lot of different people go to Geoffs, there are far too many people that frequent the place for there to be a dominant Geoffs crowd. It's one of a few pubs I go to on a regular basis and none of the people I go there with were aware of this so-called Geoffs crowd, or even the Geoffs hating crowd, before I mentioned a thread off this board to them. To turn on one of the best laid out/designed/best presented/etc. pubs in Waterford because you don't like lads with long hair, or whatever it is, seems fairly childish. But typically Waterford. I swear, if there were two pubs in the whole town, 50% of the population would never set foot in one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

merlante wrote:
    some Tweedy kip put together out of a magazine.
    merlante wrote: »
    Basically, you have to be from Waterford to 'hate' Geoffs. Nobody who comes to Waterford from elsewhere really has a bad thing to say about it. You're entitled to your prejudice but I don't think it's reflective of anything other than small minded parochial mud slinging.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yossarian_Lives

I like geoffs and downes, Kazbar (bit pricy tho) Phil Grimes

i supose its all down to what you look for in a pub. i like pubs without the loud music. i dont mind if theres a live band or background music but i hate places like revolution during the nite who blare the **** out, havnt been a while since ive been there so maybe its changed

the cove is gone way down hill, on match days its full of Dunmore road **** who think their in a football firm from north London or somthing, same atmosphere as a Nuremburg rally (nothing against anyone who works their or other people who drink there)

muldoons i have no time for either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

seanybiker wrote: »
    I like most pubs. Its only one or two that I dont like.

Pubs sell beer don't they? What's not to like???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I like any pub that makes an effort to look after its customers.

I don't mind geoffs as a bar, I don't particularly mind the clientele...although some of them are a little bit obnoxious and look down their noses at anybody who frequents more "trendy" bars..horses for courses and all that.

What I will say about geoffs thous is...they do SWEET FA for their customers...drink is dear enough...they regularly substitute drinks with cheaper alternatives and generally couldn't give a shi te about their customers...and you know what? The regulars can't get enough of it. So I suppose if you do nothing to entice the customers, and do even less to keep them there (Play ****ty music at loud levels, don't bother to clean toilets, sell cheap drink at expensive prices, put on zero entertainment etc...)..and the customer still pack out your pub and complain about every other place in the town...then I suppose you may as well keep it up.

Advertisement