Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pub worse then geoffs/worst place to drink in town

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im different. I dont really mind the people in geoffs, I just dont like the bar itself. Friendly workers and the majority of people seem grand. Fair enough I havent been there in a few years .
    i like quiet places where I can go and sit down without having to push passed people. i rarely go to anywhere in town .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

I love geoff's, it is without a shadow of a doubt my fave pub in waterford. The thing I like about it is that there's NOT a particular type of person who goes there i.e. it suits all types, so I don't understand the problem the OP has with it?

There are a few pubs I can't stand, like revolution, muldoon's or harvey's because they are all full of the same type of person - really drunk and on the pull. Not to generalise lol :p That's how it comes across to me anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't mind geoffs as a bar, I don't particularly mind the clientele...although some of them are a little bit obnoxious and look down their noses at anybody who frequents more "trendy" bars..horses for courses and all that.

I was in Geoffs today (lunchtime) and didn't notice anyone paying even the slightest attention to any other group/person, much less looking down their noses.
    I am intrigued though to know how one of these people in Geoffs would know who was in the 'trendy' pubs in order to look down their nose? And would the person in the trendy pub be aware that they were the subject of nose-gazing from Geoffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'm sorry, but that post makes no sense to me whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Back to the OP, you are spot on about The Cove. A group of us went in a few weeks back, and took one look and turned on our heels! Full of trogladites! :D

As for Geoffs, I personally like it. I agree with some of the other posts about it, entertainment wise and what the staff do is just crap and the have defo made a balls of it by putting crappy loud music in there (and yes, I've often watched them stand and play with that laptop for aggggeeessss!) Other than that, its a grand bar, early in the evening or weeknight.

There are other bars too I just despise:

Revolution = Full of chavs and kids and Flash is an ignorant cnut!

Masons = See above

Harveys = See above, above

Muldoons = Think its closed = Thank f***!

Woodman = MOST legendary bar in town

Wancky Apple = Kip

Kazbar = Nice for a coffee and bit of futty, full of chavs and trainer wearing nobjockies come 8pm... and god forbid should you want to hear yourself think, let alone talk to your friends or order a drink!!!!

Philly Grimes = Nice bar, defo love visits there.

Downses = Love the way its just not changed in years. Can talk to your friends and beer is nice. Oh and Oktoberfest :D

Uluru = Grand bar, can get a little busy, but gotta love that DJ with the bere :D I lolz a lot! haha

I could go on, but its heading out of town from here on, where most bars are a lot quieter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree with ya pretty much danglee.

I go to harveys on a sat night and bar the odd good song and nice smoking area I hate it in there,

I'm from the school of thought of a nice quiet pub for a chat then moving onto a slighty less quiet pub for a band.

Ziedth. wrote: »
    I agree with ya pretty much danglee.

I go to harveys on a sat night and bar the odd good song and nice smoking area I hate it in there,

I'm from the school of thought of a nice quiet pub for a chat then moving onto a slighty less quiet pub for a band.

Bang On!

I still go to Harveys, but more so because all my friends go. I ALWAYS go under protest. If you ever hear somebody on a Saturday night walking up to Harveys giving out about it, that'll be me, say hi :D

I'm just over 30 and I'm getting past it now! I love a drink and hell, I still love a good boozing session (although I can't drink for sh*t anymore! :( ) but I prefer to sit with my friends and talk to them, have a laugh and hear what they have to say! Was in the Uluru on sunday and nobody in there, no music, just a group of us having mighty craic and we could all hear each other and I got to mingle with all the people there (about 10 of us) Normally we in harveys just standing there, looking at each other, because you certainly can't have a conversation!!!
    What really gets my goat though, is when people say your boring or getting old because you don't want to go to Harveys/Kazbar/Masons etc, yet the example above happens everytime... you just all stand staring at each other... OH GREAT NIGHT OUT LADS!!! :rolleyes: /sarcasm!

OK, I'm ranting now... :D

Time for the unpopular opinion.

First off...if you don't want to go to a bar/late night venue that plays loud music, then don't go, it really is as simple as that. To be fair lads, you're probably nice lads but you really do sound like boring old farts :D Late night venues in every county in Ireland and every country in the world...will have loudish music etc... Here's what I think...

You actually don't go out very much and when you do go out on a saturday night you don't know a lot of the songs cause they're aimed at the younger people (the people who are going out pretty much every week...keeping the pubs in business) so that annoys ya...you don't like having to queue at the bar...you don't like bumping passed people...essentially you don't like being crowded. You prefer being at home with your few cans...or being in your local where things are nice and relaxed (but the til is not exactly buzzing with the sound of KA-CHING!!)

No offence to youse...I mean I'm actually with yiz in a way...I haven't been out in waterford on a saturday night in many years...i go out during the week...head out early go to as many bars as i can and head home pretty early. 90% of the time I'm not in the mood to be in a crowded venue (what's a crowded venue btw..haven't seen one in years) so I DON'T GO TO ONE! Bang...how easy was that?! I could have gone somewhere I knew that I'd hate...and then come on here on monday morning and complain about it...but that would be a bit thick cause it would be my own fault for going there in the first place.

Another thing...these people who don't go out a lot and then suddenly venture into a busy bar...inevitably they will complain about how long it took them to get a drink...simply because they're comparing it to their local where the barman can easily serve you between his crossword and serving an old man a pint of guinness.

I have no problem with people commenting on bars in the town...but seriously...when you're just bitching about venues cause you don't like them based on your own criteria that mightily conflicts with how a city centre on a saturday night should look...isn't it a bit silly?

Some people seem to think that unless a venue plays every song that they want to hear, and they're served in record time..then it's a dump. It really is incredible.

DanGlee wrote: »
    Back to the OP, you are spot on about The Cove. A group of us went in a few weeks back, and took one look and turned on our heels! Full of trogladites! :D

As for Geoffs, I personally like it. I agree with some of the other posts about it, entertainment wise and what the staff do is just crap and the have defo made a balls of it by putting crappy loud music in there (and yes, I've often watched them stand and play with that laptop for aggggeeessss!) Other than that, its a grand bar, early in the evening or weeknight.

There are other bars too I just despise:

Revolution = Full of chavs and kids and Flash is an ignorant cnut!

Masons = See above

Harveys = See above, above

Muldoons = Think its closed = Thank f***!

Woodman = MOST legendary bar in town

Wancky Apple = Kip

Kazbar = Nice for a coffee and bit of futty, full of chavs and trainer wearing nobjockies come 8pm... and god forbid should you want to hear yourself think, let alone talk to your friends or order a drink!!!!

Philly Grimes = Nice bar, defo love visits there.

Downses = Love the way its just not changed in years. Can talk to your friends and beer is nice. Oh and Oktoberfest :D

Uluru = Grand bar, can get a little busy, but gotta love that DJ with the bere :D I lolz a lot! haha

I could go on, but its heading out of town from here on, where most bars are a lot quieter!

I really can't take someone like you seriously, and I dunno how anyone else could either. (Surprised at Ziedith who I thought had a bit more common sense than that)

First off...if you don't want to go to a bar/late night venue that plays loud music, then don't go, it really is as simple as that. To be fair lads, you're probably nice lads but you really do sound like boring old farts :D Late night venues in every county in Ireland and every country in the world...will have loudish music etc... Here's what I think...

You actually don't go out very much and when you do go out on a saturday night you don't know a lot of the songs cause they're aimed at the younger people (the people who are going out pretty much every week...keeping the pubs in business) so that annoys ya...you don't like having to queue at the bar...you don't like bumping passed people...essentially you don't like being crowded. You prefer being at home with your few cans...or being in your local where things are nice and relaxed (but the til is not exactly buzzing with the sound of KA-CHING!!)

No offence to youse...I mean I'm actually with yiz in a way...I haven't been out in waterford on a saturday night in many years...i go out during the week...head out early go to as many bars as i can and head home pretty early. 90% of the time I'm not in the mood to be in a crowded venue (what's a crowded venue btw..haven't seen one in years) so I DON'T GO TO ONE! Bang...how easy was that?! I could have gone somewhere I knew that I'd hate...and then come on here on monday morning and complain about it...but that would be a bit thick cause it would be my own fault for going there in the first place.

Another thing...these people who don't go out a lot and then suddenly venture into a busy bar...inevitably they will complain about how long it took them to get a drink...simply because they're comparing it to their local where the barman can easily serve you between his crossword and serving an old man a pint of guinness.

I have no problem with people commenting on bars in the town...but seriously...when you're just bitching about venues cause you don't like them based on your own criteria that mightily conflicts with how a city centre on a saturday night should look...isn't it a bit silly?

Some people seem to think that unless a venue plays every song that they want to hear, and they're served in record time..then it's a dump. It really is incredible.

I am a boring old fart :) I see what your saying and I can handle crowds if the occasion calls for it (I'm going to vegas for my stag and I don't think they have a Downes type pub there :)) If I had my way I woldn't go but guess what it comes down to? Women the girls in the group like harveys and the men in the group like the girls and hense here is the problem. Also, and I have said it before that if there are a couple of single lads in your gang you can't very well bring them off a quiet pub the whole time either.

For me its just I like my friends more then I hate busy pubs.
    I really can't take someone like you seriously, and I dunno how anyone else could either. (Surprised at Ziedith who I thought had a bit more common sense than that)

TBF, even though I wouldn't use exactly the same phrasing he has a point on some of them. The wacky is a kip, Muldoons really went downhill and its these young people i'm so fearful of goto kazbar. I won't goto Revelutions on a persoal note so I can't comment on there.

EDIT: Oh and I just saw now he said about Flash, I do not think that anytime I met him he seemed sound.

• Advertisement

Firstly, you don't have to take me seriously, thats your prerogative, but I'm also entitled to "my" opinion of what I think of the bars. I appreciate every bar is different and you need to cater for all peoples tastes and needs!

I'm not an old fart either, I go out most weekends where possible, but like zenith mentioned, I'm in the same boat, we have friends in their early 20s who enjoy certain bars and also some are single and want to pull :P

We compromise, because I know a few of them don't like Geoffs, but we go there early and usually end up in Harveys (I always have to listen to the usual, it was crap in Harveys last night... and I say, why did we go then) and this will be repeated the next time we head out, but it all comes back to the young'en's wanting to stare at the ladies :D

As for music, I'll have you know I'm well clued up, and am originally from Manchester and spent MANY, MANY....many a weekend in Cream @ Nation and Gatecrasher in Sheffield, I've done my stint of clubs, bars, music, festivals (which I still do) and not bothered by crowds, but like I said, I like to "talk" to my friends and have some craic now, not scream at that at the top of my voice all night!

Oh and as for Flash (maybe I was a little harsh, but...) I've dealt with him a few times and he'll blank you and ignore you (I brought and awful lot of custom to his bars, via a company social club!!!) and also my missus lived in one of his houses and he refused to clear away the previous tennants rubbish, which was about 15+ bin bags of smelly crap that stank up the court yard, which the kitchen went onto... so I have my reasons :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm sorry but that's a lbit ridiculous to be fair.

The bit I highlighted in bold kind of sums up where you're coming form with that whole post so I'll address that. Why would someone judge a venue without applying their own criteria? We can all look at Harvey's and say "it suits a certain crowd" but you are still allowed to have your own personal opinion on it.

It's obvious that the people who post on this forum aren't the crowd that a lot of the late venues are aimed at. But that doesn't make our opinions on the city's nightlife irrelevant. There seems to be a lot of us that agree on the type of late venue we'd like to see. I don't think I'd be overreaching to say that there's a lot of people who end up in places they don't want to go because they don't feel like ending their night at 12 o'clock. They're forced to take their pick of a bad lot of influenced by others within a group (like Ziedth always says).

But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be served in some kind of decent timeframe. You seem to suggest that it's just a fact of life and we should all get on with it. Just because something is a certain way does not mean it's right.

And that's the entire jist of my own little rant here. Just because the city's nightlife is a certain way does not mean it's right and that those of us who feel it isn't right can't express our opinions on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Everybody is going to have a different opinion on pubs in town "Horses for Courses" mentality and as Ziedth said people are often forced with the crowd lack wants to go to Harveys to meet up with her friends you aren't going to tell her to fcuk off are you.
    Tbh I'll go to most pubs in town for a pint but woud consider the Tap the local and different pubs are suited for different clientele e.g Revs for the 18-21 market and Harvey's 23 -35. Agree that Muldoons is a kip. Ruby's Lounge cannot expand due to space constraints so will be narrow but do think the atmosphere is good in there when live bands are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

well i gotta say i love Geoffs.. i have drank up and down the country for years (ask robtri) in some of the nicest bars and some of the durtiest bars, and i have never seen any trouble in geoffs or had a bad night in there, i find it a nice relaxing place, and if anyone gets all high and mighty i just laugh them off.. cos thats just them being a dope as apposed to the pub being crap.. the food in the day is good, sometimes the music can be a bit loud for the speakers they have but thats not the end of the world, i have always been treated great by the staff, and will continue to drink there for a long time.. :-)

I have to say,

to be fair to geoffs you raise a good point in that I have never seen any trouble in there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

nobody has mentioned salls or tom mahers.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's a lbit ridiculous to be fair.

The bit I highlighted in bold kind of sums up where you're coming form with that whole post so I'll address that. Why would someone judge a venue without applying their own criteria? We can all look at Harvey's and say "it suits a certain crowd" but you are still allowed to have your own personal opinion on it.

It's obvious that the people who post on this forum aren't the crowd that a lot of the late venues are aimed at. But that doesn't make our opinions on the city's nightlife irrelevant. There seems to be a lot of us that agree on the type of late venue we'd like to see. I don't think I'd be overreaching to say that there's a lot of people who end up in places they don't want to go because they don't feel like ending their night at 12 o'clock. They're forced to take their pick of a bad lot of influenced by others within a group (like Ziedth always says).

But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be served in some kind of decent timeframe. You seem to suggest that it's just a fact of life and we should all get on with it. Just because something is a certain way does not mean it's right.

And that's the entire jist of my own little rant here. Just because the city's nightlife is a certain way does not mean it's right and that those of us who feel it isn't right can't express our opinions on it.

Ok, You have misinterpreted my entire post just to suit the reply that you wanted to make.

My point, that you twisted, is that if you hate a place like Harveys...why would you go in there? If the things that you hate about harveys are going to be staring you in the face again, why put yourself through it?

And of course it's not unreasonable to expect to get served in a decent timeframe...but people will have to expect to wait just a little bit longer when there's a bigger crowd that somewhere like Downes.

Everyone is allowed have an opinion on the city centre's night life but they should at least try and be objective with it...I've heard a lot of people bitch about venues in the above posts but I haven't seen a lot of constructive criticism or some recommendations about how things could be improved. And there's no point in saying I don't like the music in harveys...I wish they played more Smiths or Queens of the Stone Age...

Ok, You have misinterpreted my entire post just to suit the reply that you wanted to make.

My point, that you twisted, is that if you hate a place like Harveys...why would you go in there? If the things that you hate about harveys are going to be staring you in the face again, why put yourself through it?

And of course it's not unreasonable to expect to get served in a decent timeframe...but people will have to expect to wait just a little bit longer when there's a bigger crowd that somewhere like Downes.

Everyone is allowed have an opinion on the city centre's night life but they should at least try and be objective with it...I've heard a lot of people bitch about venues in the above posts but I haven't seen a lot of constructive criticism or some recommendations about how things could be improved. And there's no point in saying I don't like the music in harveys...I wish they played more Smiths or Queens of the Stone Age...

No I don't think I have because this post is basically the same. You ask why put yourself through going to Harvey's if you don't like it there? I already said the people do it because they don't fancy ending their night at 12 o'clock or because their friends want to go there. Like I said, it's a best of a bad bunch scenario for a lot of people.

And the point of an opinion is that it can't be objective. An opinion is the most subjective thing in the world! I said that we can all say how a certain venue suits a certain crowd but that's not our opinion on the venue, that's our opinion on the venue's marketing and business strategies. You can feel that a venue does its business very but still dislike the place.

And why is there no point in saying that the music played somewhere isn't to your taste? You actually go from saying "I haven't seen a lot of constructive criticism or some recommendations about how things could be improved" in one sentence to "And there's no point in saying I don't like the music in harveys" in the very next! Do you not see the disconnect here?

Someone can say "I feel there's no venue in Waterford to suit me. This venue would play slightly alternative, non-chart music, not be too loud, have a big enough bar that you don't have to barge through people to get to it and not blow the ears off you with the volume of the music." And it might be the case that there's not enough of a market for this type of venue or whatever but that doesn't make their opinion that there's no venue for them in Waterford invalid. Surely you see this?

I do see this (You angry bastard :D)

I suppose I'm speaking from a realistic, bar's point of view. Pretend for a second, that you own a busy late bar on a saturday night...how would you run it differently to how the bars at the moment are currently being run?

Rubys tried to launch an over 25s club recently and it died on its arse. People who run bars wil always read comments from someone like yourself and think..."you know...doggonnit...that chap is right...we need to have a bar for people like ourselves...who just want a late drink..be able to hear ourselves and what music we can hear is not boom boom and fuk me nigga this and suck that"

So...they open that bar...and first night...18 girls arrive in on a hen night - can't turn em away...they're going to drink all the high margin products like cocktails and shots. They're straight up to the DJ looking for some latest crap from the charts or girls just wanna have fun. What is the DJ, who's currently playing The Stone Roses, to do? Sorry girls...that's not what we're about in here. "Ok" the girls say..."we're out of here!"

I do think that a lot of bar djs could be a lot more selective with their music though, to try and keep more people happy...but don't underestimate how nasty girls can be if a DJ takes a break from commercial stuff and plays something a little more eclectic. People WILL leave if the DJ tries to get too clever. It's a catch 22 situation for the DJ, and also the bar owner.

Out of curiousity...would anyone (mods or anyone else) object to me starting a thread asking people to take the role of a Bar owner and go into as much detail as possible about what kind of bar they would create?

I do see this (You angry bastard :D)

I suppose I'm speaking from a realistic, bar's point of view. Pretend for a second, that you own a busy late bar on a saturday night...how would you run it differently to how the bars at the moment are currently being run?

Rubys tried to launch an over 25s club recently and it died on its arse. People who run bars wil always read comments from someone like yourself and think..."you know...doggonnit...that chap is right...we need to have a bar for people like ourselves...who just want a late drink..be able to hear ourselves and what music we can hear is not boom boom and fuk me nigga this and suck that"

So...they open that bar...and first night...18 girls arrive in on a hen night - can't turn em away...they're going to drink all the high margin products like cocktails and shots. They're straight up to the DJ looking for some latest crap from the charts or girls just wanna have fun. What is the DJ, who's currently playing The Stone Roses, to do? Sorry girls...that's not what we're about in here. "Ok" the girls say..."we're out of here!"

I do think that a lot of bar djs could be a lot more selective with their music though, to try and keep more people happy...but don't underestimate how nasty girls can be if a DJ takes a break from commercial stuff and plays something a little more eclectic. People WILL leave if the DJ tries to get too clever. It's a catch 22 situation for the DJ, and also the bar owner.

Out of curiousity...would anyone (mods or anyone else) object to me starting a thread asking people to take the role of a Bar owner and go into as much detail as possible about what kind of bar they would create?

Sounds to me like we're on the same page so! :D

I completely understand the business perspective on it and it all makes sense. It's just that I don't think that means people shouldn't let their feelings be known.

While it might not work on a practical business level, it's still nice to hink of the pub you'd open if money wasn't an issue and you didn't have to bend to the will of the masses; if you could set a place up a certain way and not have to dilute it down. The fact is that it's easiest to make money by making somewhere like Ruby's or Harvey's or whatever and at the end of the say, they're businesses and the bottom line is king.

• Advertisement

A guy where I'm from runs the pub the way he wants, this place makes downes look like a superclub in Ibiza, he won't serve young people, will kick anyone out even texting and hasn't changed the price if his drink in years! It must just bleed money but he sold out his car garage at just the right time and doesn't give a toss about the money.

I think nkay has hit the nial on the head there, I know my ideal pub wouldn't make any money. It doesn't mean while I'm listening to lady ga ga in harveys I can't close my eyes really tight and pretend that he is playing green day.

Actually abouttobenanned, I really like the idea of that thread. We should have to pick a building and go into as much detail as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

To be honest, the vast, vast majority of the time that I spend in geoffs is during the early hours of the day, and I'd either be having a cup of tea, or one pint and a cigarette - either by myself, or with a very small (1-2) group. Yeah, there's people in there that I would go to efforts to avoid - and that's what I do. Avoid them, sit away from them, don't converse with them. It's what I do in any other public place when someone is annoying me.

Out of all the choices down around that area, I can't think of anywhere better than Geoffs. Especially considering the ****hole that is Rubys is only down the road from there.

Yeah...rubys isn't ideal for a cup of tea in the afternoon

I think it's important to separate the geoffs or the daytime and geoffs on a Saturday night though.

I have had a coffee in geoffs from time to time when I was in hewden and it was grand.

I don't think you can compare the likes if rubys with geoffs in the day like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

flutered wrote: »
    nobody has mentioned salls or tom mahers.

I take it you mean Sals .
    Anyway its a pub ,You either get it or not ,

me I get it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

Get yourself over to Flynns in downtown Ferrybank.G will rock you as he shuffles behind the bar and M engages with 10 customers simultaniously, their conversations that is. Every customer has his own seat and dare any stranger sit in it. Toilets are wonderful and hot water will be installed next century PG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Yeah...rubys isn't ideal for a cup of tea in the afternoon

I'd a nice chicken roll there yesterday at lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

I find Geoffs odd to be honest, maybe cos I have mixed personal feelings and memories of the place. Its grand to get a drink there, but there is an element of clique-eyness there. I could be the biggest Smiths or Joy Division fan in the world, but if my appearance (short haircut, nice shirt and jeans) doesnt fit, I know sod all. People there don't seem to mix amongst others that well, just there own group, no banter. Fair enough, people go there with there own friends and not to adopt others, but if someone new to the city or trying to make new friends is going there they have a better chance of meeting folk in an empty room. The same goes for the Forum. Nothing against how some people described as "those" types of people, have many friends that are musicians etc, but there is an element of "you're face doesnt fit here". Just my opinion, anyone along the same lines?

I think you're spot on tommy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

the food is nice in geoffs

Advertisement