Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pub worse then geoffs/worst place to drink in town

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Food there is good alright but just that little bit too expensive in these times imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Normally I say live and let live. I don't particularly like crowded pubs but other people do.

However, there are 3 reasons I think I can complain about pubs I usually don't go to:

1) Its badly managed (does anyone really like queing for ages for a drink)
    2) I dislike the owner
    3) Public policy reasons

Its the 3rd reason I don't like superpubs. Alcohol is not a product like clothes or books. When people are drunk they are not rational responsible adults. So if some pubs promote binge drinking this affects me, whether I went into the pub or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

A good smoking area is a must for me these days. TBH, there aren't a huge amount of pubs catering for smokers out there.

In the past, I've tended to go for Geoffs, Harveys and Masons, simply because I can sit in reasonable comfort with a cigarette and enjoy my night without having to leave my drink and freeze my a*se off on top of it, but I hate the Harveys crowd - makes me feel ancient (I'm 34), but their smoking area is fantastic.

Nowadays, I'll usually go to the Uluru, as it's got an older crowd and a reasonable smoking area. While I love Downes's, the smoking area's sh*te - basically a tiny, freezing concrete yard. Wish they'd sort it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Any of ye ever drink in the crystal city bar down be the bridge, when it was open. Jaysus that place was brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

seanybiker wrote: »
    Any of ye ever drink in the crystal city bar down be the bridge, when it was open. Jaysus that place was brutal.

how so?

the lack of a smoking area or just the pub in general? cause was in there recently and the bar is pretty nice

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    how so?

the lack of a smoking area or just the pub in general? cause was in there recently and the bar is pretty nice
    jesus didnt know it was still open. Thought it closed years ago. Just in general I didnt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bugz

thing i hate about geoffs is they call chips shoe string potatoes..............that says it all really doesnt it

bugz wrote: »
    thing i hate about geoffs is they call chips shoe string potatoes..............that says it all really doesnt it
    what about a royale with cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

seanybiker wrote: »
    jesus didnt know it was still open. Thought it closed years ago. Just in general I didnt like it.

oh no no, its closed!

just in for a look was all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

bugz wrote: »

well to be fair that exactly what they serve.. shoestring potatoes.. they are not chips.. so its pretty fair to say it like it is..
    im not a fan of the shoestring potatoes, so if i saw chips on the menu and ordered them only to be presented with shoestring potatoes i would be pretty disappointed.. so they are only telling it like it is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 amzyxx

I love anywhere where there are friends, drink and good craic!! so it doesnt particularly matter about the location..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Amen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SnakesOnAPlane

Those "shoestring potatoes" are awesome!!! Big fan of Geoffs, staff are always lovely, in my experience they always do what they can for ya and it's the kinda of place you can sit for hours comfortably!! Also Jordan's on the Quay... warm fire, nicely priced drink and no crowd/rowdiness whatsoever!!!

Harvey's is very mediocre but in fairness it is the best of a bad lot....

Horses for courses. End thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

I like Geoffs, and I see they're nominated for restaurant of the year for waterford in their category. My complaint is that they haven't changed their menu for what seems like a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,655 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would not be that mad about Harveys. The Owner/manager doesent seem to be a nice guy and the staff are arent the nicest in the world. Seems a lot of older crowd in there too. I cant stand the bathroom workers. Why cant you go for a piss in peace lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

All the owner of Harveys understand are €€€€€€€ and dont have a clue what the word customer service means, I wouldnt spend my money in there if it was the last pub left open in Waterford. Supprised it hasnt gone up in smoke yet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Ahaaa Geoffs, knee deep in pee, great if your into the smell of you ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I must say,

even though I go to Harveys I kinda hoped they would tank after the sheer cheek of trying to charge €10 in the door for the exact same service of when it was free a couple of years ago. I'm amazed the general public went back there.

Skittles cocktails are savage though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

All the owner of Harveys understand are €€€€€€€ and dont have a clue what the word customer service means, I wouldnt spend my money in there if it was the last pub left open in Waterford. Supprised it hasnt gone up in smoke yet:D
    OR UP THEIR NOSE :eek:

• Advertisement

19.5V wrote: »
    Ahaaa Geoffs, knee deep in pee, great if your into the smell of you ryan
    You have a point.

I always judge a place by its jacks. If the jacks are clean, then its a good guess the kitchens are too.

I still like Geoff's though.

So you don't always judge a place by the toilets then?

So you don't always judge a place by the toilets then?

I drink bottled beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I always judge a hotel by it's toilets if that helps

dayshah wrote: »
    I drink bottled beer.

Does anyone else have a clue as to what this means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

a new leaseholder in the cove since two weeks ago so i heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

he drinks botttles of piss that come with a cap on it :)

You needn't worry about cleanliness so much with bottled beer.

I'm sure Geoff's must meet hygiene standards, and in fairness you can see into their kitchen. However with the state their jacks are in, it doesn;t encourage me to eat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 neeko

merlante wrote: »
    Geoffs is one of the best pubs in Waterford, objectively. Criticism of the pub tends to be along sectarian lines, as in, I hate 'those' sorts of people. It is regularly rated as one of the best pubs in the country. I'd hate to think that people would read a thread like this and bypass class pubs like Geoffs or Downses for some Tweedy kip put together out of a magazine.

Bit of redneck vibe off of these anti-Geoffs threads!

Agreed, Downses is a class pub but Geoffs doesn't rate with me. And i'm disappointed to say that cos i should like it: plenty of wheat beer and lots of the music i like.

The problem is that three times now, when i've gone in for food in the late afternoon with friends, the service is CRAP!!! I go in sit down and wait..... Ten minutes later you have to get menus from the bar yourself :(. Then more waiting.... and waiting..... All three time, after waiting approximately 30 minutes, i leave :mad:.

If you're going to serve food you need people tending tables otherwise it's just ****e! And i dont want to hear any lark about "oh but the food is so good". No! I dont care, serve your feekin customers Geoffs!!!

As for the men in hats; well, thats why Downses is the better pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

neeko wrote: »
    ...If you're going to serve food you need people tending tables otherwise it's just ****e! And i dont want to hear any lark about "oh but the food is so good". No! I dont care, serve your feekin customers Geoffs!!!...

From my experience of eating in there a few times, you just pick you meal and go up and order it at the bar. They drop it down to you when it's done!

Advertisement