Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half way there

Options
  • 01-03-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi

I'm starting this as a log for myself and as a motivator for myself to keep going.

My Bio

40 year old male and 6' 0", married with great kids who have only know Daddy to have a fat belly and more besides. Sedentary job and only exercise was playing golf.

I've been a bit of a Yo-Yo dieter and have been to weight watchers many times but I have never reached my desired weight. I would always get bored and quit, returning to my old habits and putting all the weight back on.

The week after my 40th birthday I decided to once again lose the weight (primary goal) and get fitter (a plus). I tipped the scales at 17 stone 3.

So I have been at this since the start of November and so far with the help of Weigh Watchers and exercise I have lost 26 pounds or nearly 12 kilos.

I am careful about what I eat but the biggest change is in the amount of exercise I am doing. After Christmas I got a pedometer and started walking, with a target of 15000 steps a day. I did this for about 5 weeks but have since "graduated to slow runs".

In the last two weeks I have been doing more resistance training under the supervision of a personal trainer.

My ultimate aim is to get to 13 stone hopefully before the middle of July (another baby due then)

Anyway I will post my weight and exercise programs here. I won't post what I am eating as it is just ordinary healthy food but hopefully with the correct portions and no rubbish.

To track my progress I have given myself some Goals which I hope to achieve they should be doable with enough effort.

Run 5K comfortably in 25 minutes or less (currently 31 minutes at heart rate average of 80%)
    Run 10K comfortably in 50 minutes or less (currently 62 minutes at heart rate average of 80%)
    "comfortably" for me is being able to keep my heart rate in the 70% to 80% of maximum
    Do 20 pushups (currently 2 I have no upper body strenght)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

LarMan wrote: »
    Hi

So I have been at this since the start of November and so far with the help of Weigh Watchers and exercise I have lost 26 pounds or nearly 12 kilos.

Jeeny mac, fair play to you! :) Best of luck with your training, posting up here is a great motivator!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Tuesday

6.56 KM run in 38:55

Heart rate average was 162 with a peak of 177.

Probably not the best Zone to be in for weigh loss but I wanted to try and run fast. Got a pain in my shoulder and side but managed to work through it.

Weight 214 lbs down 1 since last week. A bit dissapointed as I felt I had put in a good week on both the food and exercise

Today was a session with personal trainer

Consisted of 5 minute warm up on cross trainer
    Squats and bicep curls
    10 minute threadmill
    Abs 4 sets of 10
    Steps ups 3 sets with 5KG
    Shoulders with 10K dumbells 3 sets

I had a touch of Laryngitis and didn't feel great but I was glad I got through the exercise and did not chicken out because I didn't feel great

6th of March
    Golf

7th of March
    8.7KM run in 53 minutes

8th March
    Personal trainer with resistance training and some cardio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Hi there, so how is the fitness programme going, good I hope! I know from personal experience how hard it is to get back into fitness programme when you haven't done it for a while. I do 5k and 10k races regularly as a goal to keep fit and work towards.

Good on you, it's never too late to get fit and getting to middle age seems to be a wake up call where people become even more aware of the health risks from an unhealthy lifestyle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement