Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuschia and whitethorn hedge

Options
  • 01-03-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I want to plant a fuschia and whitethorn hedge and I was wondering could anyone tell me if you can take cuttings from wild plants and plant them out. By the sea, bogland, and extremely windy at all times. Hoping the wild cuttings would be hardier than shop bought plants.
    I would also like to attract some birds to the garden, put out a hanging feeder in the cold weather and no birds came. Loads of ground feeders though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

You still have time to buy white thorn bare root hedging and plant them. They will establish in most conditions, if you could put up a windbreak along the boundary of the new hedge, it really will help prevent them drying out or blown away!

Thefuchsia can be grown from cuttings. Best time to take softwood cuttings would be over the next two months, when everything comes into leaf. The cuttings can grow in pots over the summer (in a sheltered place) and planted out in autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Yes you can still plant bareroot. I planted bareroot whitethorn last week. They cost 1.20 euro a plant so wont break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

I had a look in Galway and managed to get 200 for €120, bargain or what!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Foleyart, would you mind telling me where in Galway you got them?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

you really should be only paying 40-45 euro per 100 whitethorn quicks and they are dear at that!!

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    Foleyart, would you mind telling me where in Galway you got them?

Cheers!

The garden centre out the Headford road.
    Hey Networks I see Callow man was quoting €1.20 a plant so it sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We used to use fuchsia branches as pea sticks and many would root. And this is what is planned here also this year..For hedges..

Sorry folks, got my facts wrong. I got 700 whitetorn plants for 300 euro, think it works out at 42 cent a plant. I also bought green beech which were 1.20 a plant.
    If buying bareroot go direct to nursery to get them as they are pulled on the day of collection and will be that bit cheaper than a garden center.

Boy ! you should see the size of the egg on my face !:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tophat

Callow_man, where did you get your whitehorn quicks ?

• Advertisement

Bill Madden nurseries in Oranmore. Give them a ring first for a quote and dont forget to haggle.

Have to say that the quality the plants were great and well graded. The whitethorn were 2ft and the beech were 3ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tophat

Thanks Callow_man for that. Best I can do so far is €55/100 so I'll give Maddens a call.

Advertisement