Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you have no interest?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

What do you do?
    When you are perfectly funded, in a top international group, with plenty of support but you have no real interest in the subject, what do you do?

When there's nothing else coming to mind that you might be interested in, what do you do?

Grind your teeth and smile and pretend you're happy?
    Problem is that I can accept that I'm doing something that I've no interest in but it's becoming apparent to my supervisor since I can't be bothered acting interested for a number of years, that I've no interest.
    So now here I am in a stressfull situation with nowhere to turn.
    What do other people do, just keep working?
    To be honest this added pressure is only distracting me now, hence this post.

The truth is I was never interested in my degree and masters either, not at all really,not one bit but here I am. I had this hypothesis that interest was a fabricated concept to help people reinforce their decisions and give themselves some self confidence and that in fact I didn't need it and I could arbitrarily take any path and ignore 'interest'.....but here I am getting depressed, in some subjective way disproving the hypothesis.

Basically, I focked!
    Any advise?
    Because I have absolutely no solution whatsoever.

Some may say "quit, life's too short" but I have to say,"quit and do what exactly?".....here's my problem really.
    For example a job is all well and good except it's bound to be less interesting even, if thats possible and there will be more constraint put on me, so I can't figure it out? Plus I'm sure my qualifications are ****, I mean I wouldn't hire me to do any job. I have no ability or skills to provide services or products to people.

I feel like I'm wasting taxpayers money also.

Like what can I do though, I'm not gonna jump off a bridge, there may be a solution somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

To start with, don’t fret too much. Plenty of people finally make the realisation that the reason they hate work so much is because they have no interest in what they are doing. I know because I was one of them. What I would suggest is that for the time being you work away at what ever is paying the bills, but in the mean time start trying to identify what you would be interested in. what job/career/what ever it is you want to spend your life at. That done then you have to devise a strategy to take you from where you are to where you want to be. It may take some time but anything worth doing takes time. Its just a suggestion! Best of luck

Advertisement