Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the bottom line on photographing courthouses?

• 01-03-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I had a meander around Galway City this evening that led me to photograph the front of Galway's courthouse. I was questioned by two barristers who expressed surprise over me photographing the building itself, but they were ultimately more interested in what my technique was than anything else. A third barrister got into my face about me photographing the building and hinted that well the guards don't like that. He made a point of lurking around and peering over my shoulder while going on, but I will admit that I completely tuned him out. However, I did notice him scoring me with a totally evil glare as he scurried back into the building.

About ten minutes later some Gardai did walk by me on their way inside, but it was literally a 'howyeh,' a wink and a nod.

It left me curious as to what the actual bottom line may be in photographing such public buildings here. Is it at my discretion and at my peril?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Fenster wrote: »
    It left me curious as to what the actual bottom line may be in photographing such public buildings here. Is it at my discretion and at my peril?

There is no law in Ireland prohibiting you from photographing courthouses nor other buildings.

Just tell the solicitors/barristers to get lost. The Gardai won't do/say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Good to know, Paul, cheers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its about getting the defendants, not allowed photo them going in with the cuffs and publishing em before case is settled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I'd be surprised if the Gardai hassled you for photographing ANYTHING from a public place for a while. They've learned a valuable lesson, since two of their Dublin colleagues have convictions for criminal damage and assault arising from their ignorance of the law in June 2008. I'd suspect that the Supernintendo of every district has made sure that they are very aware of photographers rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

I'd be surprised if the Gardai hassled you for photographing ANYTHING from a public place for a while. They've learned a valuable lesson, since two of their Dublin colleagues have convictions for criminal damage and assault arising from their ignorance of the law in June 2008. I'd suspect that the Supernintendo of every district has made sure that they are very aware of photographers rights.

any link to this case?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

any link to this case?
    thanks

There's a whole thread to it on here glen. I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

found it....
    thanks

found it....
    thanks

Feck ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Where is the link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Might be an idea to keep a copy of the article in the bag.

http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055761370

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

A third barrister got into my face about me photographing the building and hinted that well the guards don't like that. He made a point of lurking around and peering over my shoulder while going on, but I will admit that I completely tuned him out. However, I did notice him scoring me with a totally evil glare as he scurried back into the building.
    hahaahaaa well Fenster you well know how to be a hard man on the internet but with an under educated minimum wage legal attorney you're stuttering.

The Gaurds (whom I have the upmost respect for) deal in criminal law, people commiting actual crimes, in your case (only suggesting possibly) threading onto private property, not sleezy dodgey scumbag soccer player looking for advantage law

I'll tell you what to tell that barrister in your own style and you don't need to paraphrase for the little despot..."go f yourself before I f you into the f-ing Corrib. And how dare you speak with your half brain on behalf of the Garda Shickalonees you arogant tosser"

Here's a primer for shooting in Ire... http://www.digitalrights.ie/2006/05/09/photographers-rights/

Right so where's the pics?

I bumped it as I couldn't figure out linking, look on the forum. Gardai yaddayadda.

Something something I'm a stuttering internet hard man? What? Thank you at least for the link, as it was informative. 'Watch what I do when around the courthouse' seems to be the order of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P
    LINK

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Here is the resulting courthouse shot:

http://www.bhalash.com/index.php?showimage=71

I have to admit total disappointment with the photo; I will head back over there on Sunday and give it another crack, but if anyone wants a try at stitching it in the meanwhile, I'll toss up the source images (24).

Something something I'm a stuttering internet hard man? What?
    show more bottle up to the dipstick barrister - he's a courtroom mouth piece, not a gaurd.

I have to admit total disappointment with the photo
    I think you're fishing. It's probably the best end of the shots I've seen you post. It's well finished and not your usual "wankery".

-;0)

Bosshogg wrote: »
    show more bottle up to the dipstick barrister - he's a courtroom mouth piece, not a gaurd.

I think you're fishing. It's probably the best end of the shots I've seen you post. It's well finished and not your usual "wankery".

-;0)

I expressed an opinion, now get over it. Real, palpable development as a photographer requires an environment of honesty. If I am ever put into a position on a forum where I have to lie to a person for the sake of their feelings, or if any one person feels they would have to lie to me for the sake of mine, I would quit that forum in a heartbeat because I will not let somebody live a lie when I feel they would benefit more from the harsh truth. I have quit forums in a heartbeat over such situations and never have I looked back. Boards.ie is actually one of the best forums I have frequented. When I post a photo and ask to have it torn apart, I expect it to be torn apart. I've been told that photos of mine "are heaps of s***e" in private messages. I asked of the person who said that the why and how I could improve and walked away after sincerely thanking them for their approval.

I am not endorsing reinforcement through negative feedback, but instead simple honestly with no hard feelings attached. I demand it from those who critique my works, and I will give it right back to them. But nowhere in all of this is there room for stalking, for personal comments and revenge posting. If you can't take it then I'll be the first person to tell you to piss off this forum.

I expressed an opinion, now get over it. Real, palpable development as a photographer requires an environment of honesty.

I am not endorsing reinforcement through negative feedback, but instead simple honestly with no hard feelings attached.
    Expressing an opinion is no excuse to be deliberately rude and/or arogant

Oh gosh I can see "opinions being expressed" with my baby girl as she progresses " YOU CALL THAT A PICTURE OF A MAN???? THAT'S F*ING sh1tE??? LOOK OUT THE WINDOW - DOES YOUR PICTURE LOOK LIKE THAT GUY? HM??? WHAT ABOUT THAT GUY??? SERIOUSLY ARE YOU EVEN F*ING TRYING? WHY DO I EVEN SPEND MONEY ON CRAYONS??? " "WHAT?? WHAT'S THIS??? WHY ARE YOU CRYING??? CAN'T YOU SEE I'M HELPING YOU LEARN HERE???"

Holy sh1te I'm getting flashbacks to my De La Salle schooling where Boiler would knock the 7yr old b*lix out of me with brute force, sticks and intimidation to teach me (the right way).

I've nothing to get over since I carried no bother. Your post to me looks like a revenge post since it's directed at me.
    I gave you straight feedback minus the unpleasantries and now you're huffing. As previously stated my pseudonym is apt. In company I'm sure 2 ignorant foul mouthed pigs such as us would get along famously however in the public domain I'm merely suggesting that you tame your blunt, angry and aggressive approach to wording your opinion and find another route that's tactful, respectful and actually constructive. Criticism doesn't have to be nuclear warfare on another person's efforts "oh it was total sh|te wankery so I've nuked it to anhilation for you in your best interest".

Are you serious?!

I think if you do have something contribute then make suggestions on how to advance. (This is mine to you)

Peace out!

As I said, get over it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Enough of the slagging here & back on topic or the thread gets closed & infractions etc. are handed out.

• Advertisement

Forgiven, forgotten. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I have to admit total disappointment with the photo; I will head back over there on Sunday and give it another crack, but if anyone wants a try at stitching it in the meanwhile, I'll toss up the source images (24).
    I really like the shot, its very different from others that I've seen in the past.
    Somehow the building looks "prettier" this way! :D

And Great treatment, it finishes it off perfectly.

But... :p

If I were to get picky, purely from a viewers perspective, again the presence of cars has let the overall feel down. I find the one in the right corner an eye sore. Another slight distraction is traffic lights and people in the left corner.

Now I know how hard it is to photograph that building without people or cars, I'm from Galway, no need to explain. But the treatment of the shot is arty and therefore "normal" everyday things will distract.

But in saying that - I love it and I'd be proud if it were one of mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Speaking of Photography at courthouses

this one always makes me laugh :D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahegFo9X_uI

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

only issue would be if it was the special criminal court while a security operation is in place. or any court house with a security operation in place for a big criminal.. common sense has to prevail both from the photograper and the gardai involved. the provos used to photograph the security detail for the special criminal court for intel purposes.

opti76 wrote: »
    only issue would be if it was the special criminal court while a security operation is in place. or any court house with a security operation in place for a big criminal.. common sense has to prevail both from the photograper and the gardai involved. the provos used to photograph the security detail for the special criminal court for intel purposes.

Ouch. Honest, guvn'r. It was just some infrared... Infrared? Grab him!

Ouch. Honest, guvn'r. It was just some infrared... Infrared? Grab him!

Just be thankful it wasn't HDR. Barristers really hate HDR.

Advertisement