Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

birmingham Cameras V Conns Cameras

• 01-03-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,
    Just wonder about those birmingham Cameras and Conns Cameras in Dublin.
    Which are better? And why Birmingham are cheaper than Conns?

I'm looking into buying a new 5D Mark II and don't know which shops to go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Neither. Go to John Gunn's on Wexford Street! I managed to save about 60 euros on my tripod at Gunn's over Conn's and Birmingham's, and AFAIK they are cheaper for a 5D II as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

berminghams is better for Nikon go to gunn's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Another +1 for Gunns. They're very patronizing in both conns and berminghams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

berminghams is better for Nikon go to gunn's.

Do you mean:
    berminghams is better, for Nikon go to gunn's.

Or:
    berminghams is better for Nikon, go to gunn's.

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

:p

last one :):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

On their respective websites Bermingham's do the Canon 7d for 1499 and Conn's for 1699 (body only). That's a big difference. Anyone know offhand how much Gunn's do the 7d for?

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Give them a ring.
    contact details here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I would advise visiting all three shops mentioned and haggle for best price. Web site prices are not always what you pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

In both shops I found them a bit dismissive and unhelpful. Berminghams were very ignorant and Conns, The guy contradicted me about the existance of a lowpro bag until i showed him it in his own catalogue, i gave him reasons as to why i didnt want the bag he was trying to sell me, but he wouldnt listen and almost wouldnt take no for an answer.

For me, if a store shows a genuine interest in the customer and not just treats me like im on a conveyor, then i will be perfectly happy to pay a little more for what i need.
    Gunns seems to be very well reccomended so i'd give that a go.,:)

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I would advise visiting all three shops mentioned and haggle for best price. Web site prices are not always what you pay.

Too True!

I bought my D90 last year (in berminghams) after checking online prices, getting quotes by phone and in person at the Brick and mortar shops. Just about every shop gave the same via phone and online, but in person the starting quote was 100 euro less. I haggled a bit on the camera and SDHC cards and got about another 100 euro off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 broad_sword

I've purchased from all the shops mentioned above. My last purchase was a D700 body from Berminghams. The guys there certainly know their Nikon equipment really well and were courteous and friendly. Naturally, before making a purchase like that, I'd done plenty of research on the net beforehand. And I certainly didn't pay the price listed on their website (you HAVE to go the shop to get a decent price... don't pay the price listed on their website!).

Would certainly buy from Berminghams again, but would highly recommend John Gunn too. Very helpful, friendly staff and great prices. It's a shame they don't have a better website. :(

Honestly, personally I wouldn't be rushing back to Conns. Don't get me wrong... nicely laid out shop, great location and leaving prices aside (they are a little more pricey but I guess rents are higher where they are!), I just didn't find the staff all that great. Any time I've been in there, they just didn't seem to be "interested in my business" even though I was looking at expensive glass. Sometimes I got the feeling they just wanted to deal with me quickly and move onto the next punter with cash in his wallet. Maybe I've just got them a bad day (or several bad days!)

So for me, it would be Berminghams or Gunns! Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I wonder sometimes does Mr Conn ever read this forum and ask wtf is wrong with my shop that I am potentially losing so much business and if so why does he not address the issues which seem to be repeated time and time again here.:confused:

I find that the manager in Conns treats his staff very poorly. He's always shouting at them and giving out that certain things can't be found. I'd say he's a nightmare to work for

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnnycorcoran

Anyone can do me a little wee favor to ring Gunn's and ask how much are the Canon 5d mark II?

Cos I have a hearing Difficult and not able to use the phone (Gulp!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Masada wrote: »
    ... Berminghams were very ignorant ...

I found the opposite Masada. I bought a D90 in their shop a few weeks ago and found them to be helpful and attentive. I even managed to do a little better on my D50 trade-in than expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

swingking wrote: »
    I find that the manager in Conns treats his staff very poorly. He's always shouting at them and giving out that certain things can't be found. I'd say he's a nightmare to work for

Funny you should mention that, I was in there about a week ago and an older chap (i think he had a short greyish beard) was screaming up the stairs at some other chap who was in the "studio" (i presume they have one upstairs) but it was very out of the ordinary, he just galloped across the main floor to the first counter and started shouting. even though it wasn't me he was shouting at, i kinda felt uncomfortable there, hate to think of the ear bashing the chap upstairs got after i was there.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nowst

Have to agree with earlier post Gunns on wexford street beats these two easily,

Guess what??
    I just got a email from John Gunn Camera.
    And they couldnt do a better deal for a Canon 5d mark II as it's the same price as Bermingham.

Hmm!
    So Bermingham or Gunn's....

Gunn's, hands down, they are nice and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Gunns.
    Family business and they remember regular customers. I've gotten some nice wee discounts there after buying my d700. They cleaned my sensor for next to nothing too. Cant stretch enough how nice these people are - and I personally think that's worth something. If the cameras are the same price its a no-brainer.

• Advertisement

Got a email from Bermingham...I asked for Canon 5d mark II and Battery grip

Doing me a good deal??

The €2049 is the lowest price we can do. We as all are aware can offer the best and most expertise with regard to any technical questions or queries. We also offer inhouse professional sensor cleaning, of which we offer the first one free with all non wet types free for ever. These we can do almost instantly or within a few hours.
    The grip price is €269.
    I can include an 8gb Sanisk Pro Ultra11 c/f card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Don't forget the Camera Exchange on Georges Street, v helpful, found Conn's good if you know what you want and like others here have found Bermingham Cameras unhelpful.

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Don't forget the Camera Exchange on Georges Street, v helpful, found Conn's good if you know what you want and like others here have found Bermingham Cameras unhelpful.

Whoa! For the 5D Mark II & 24-70mm F2.8 L
    cameraexchange - €3795.00
    Conns - €3499.99
    bermingham cameras - €3150.00

Cameraexchange robbing €645 more than Bermingham

Defo keep away from cameraexchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

that should be easy..... I passed it the other day and it was shuttered

for rent sign on the shutter

pixels, now the camera exchange.....

hmmmm

Camera Exchange gone!!

I was only in there the other day. Weird

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Which Camera Exchange? There used to be two stores & they have consolidated into the one store on South Georges Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

swingking wrote: »
    Camera Exchange gone!!

I was only in there the other day. Weird

its the little shop on the corner beside O'Neills right?

yep it was shuttered when I passed it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Don't forget Hall's on Talbot street - they're very helpful as well.

On the Bermingham's debate: I've had mixed experiences there, think it depends on who you're talking to in the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

mehfesto wrote: »
    Gunns.
    Family business and they remember regular customers.
    I was in their recently and when I gave my name for the photos I was leaving in, John told me he remembered my grandad who used to shop in there. My grandad died 34 years ago, before I was born, and he still remembered him and even told me a little about him and he remembered his address.

Now that's remembering your customers

• Advertisement

DutchGuy wrote: »
    Don't forget Hall's on Talbot street - they're very helpful as well.

On the Bermingham's debate: I've had mixed experiences there, think it depends on who you're talking to in the shop.

Absolutely, I find the old guy in there is a bit dismissive and the young guy is happy to help and lets you know he knows you are there even if he is with another customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

mehfesto wrote: »
    Gunns.
    Family business and they remember regular customers. I've gotten some nice wee discounts there after buying my d700. They cleaned my sensor for next to nothing too. Cant stretch enough how nice these people are - and I personally think that's worth something. If the cameras are the same price its a no-brainer.
    Same as above...
    Regular customer and I get a wee discount each time I ask. ;)
    I purchased the 24-70L a few weeks back and the list price they were selling it at was 80 euros cheaper then the other Dublin Camera shop prices and then I got another few bob off as my discount.
    As for Mister Conn reading this forum and losing customers I would imagine they are by far and away the busiest Camera shop in all of Dublin, always busy when I drop in or walk by..ALWAYS, they are geared towards upmarket customers anyway and money is not a problem for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Whoa! For the 5D Mark II & 24-70mm F2.8 L
    cameraexchange - €3795.00
    Conns - €3499.99
    bermingham cameras - €3150.00

In case you're interested the rumours are a mark II 24-70mm f2.8L is due soon probably with IS, likely pricey but may be cheaper after 6 months. This should have a knock on effect on mark I prices...

There's also the online option for buying, eg Calumet have the 5D II for £1,699 body only, est. via xe.com = €1867.70 excl shipping.
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/321-108A/

Advertisement