Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Singer for a Wedding Waterford/Kilkenny area

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mountjuliet

Many Thanks to Caroline Reid O'Brien for singing at our Wedding Fair in March.
    You certainly have a lovely voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fioc

Morgan Crowley sang at my wedding and was amazing...Voice of an angel and has performed at Carnegie Hall and with Riverdance, so is an utter professional....Nothing was too much trouble and Morgan's talents blew the church away...Everyone commented on him...His mobile is:085 8233244.

He is based in Dublin, but can travel...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JosephKavanagh

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Seriously though, €200 for an hour/hour and a half's work (and in fairness more than half of that is sitting around). That's serious money and I don't think I could bring myself to paying it. Then again, jonnyfingers has to sing at mine for free because he's family so....:D

Hi There,
    I’m new to this website and try to refrain from getting involved in discussions online but I couldn’t refrain myself when I read this.
    I’m a professional tenor singer and I charge €280.00 to sing at a wedding.
    I have gone to college studied music for 4 years and I have my degree this cost me and my generous parents a lot of money. I now depend totally on weddings and corporate events to make the bulk of my living.
    A wedding for me consists of meeting the bride and groom beforehand which could be anywhere around the Country to discuss their songs and hymns. I then have at the least one day training and studying for the playlist the bride and groom require.
    I have to pay for sound equipment and travel for the day including diesel.
    I can’t understand why some people argue about what we charge for a wedding. Its a serious responsibility.
    To go a step further a solicitor who went to study his career will charge an average of €250.00 an hour I put a lot more than an hr into a wedding and sometimes in winter season I might only have one wedding a week!
    A wedding band averages around €2000.00 and this is only for the drinking session later! The day in the Church, registry office or place of worship is the most important part... it’s a little like people who celebrate Christmas but don’t go to celebrate it in church etc... People forget what the day is about your wedding day is about "Going to your place of worship and marrying the love of your life" and of course celebrating this event afterwards...
    Sorry for the ramble this is just my opinion and I’m sure many people would agree??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi Joseph. Welcome to the site.

I understand your reasoning but I don't agree with it.

I also went to college for 4 years but I don't earn €200 per hour. My wife's work involves a skill, education at third level and 10 years' experience but she doesn't earn €200 per hour.

To liken yourself to a solicitor is a bit off IMO. To qualify as a solicitor, you not only have to get your degree but also have to complete many further exams, as I'm sure you know. And solocitors' rates are also extortionate, something which has come under focus given the economic downturn.

Many, many people are"professional" something or others but that doesn't mean they can set massive hourly rates for themselves.

And as for a day practicing the setlist? I've been to enough weddings and know enough people who have performed at weddings to know that, after a short period of time, you'll have covered the vast majority of songs and may only have to learn one or two songs for such an event.

I don't mean any of this as a slight on you. I'm just stating my opinion that the rates charged to get someone to sing at your wedding are extortionate, along with 99% of costs associated with weddings in Ireland. If people will pay it, then why shouldn't you charge it and make what you can. I'll not be surprised, though, if the number of people viewing this as something they don't need to do on their big day dwindles as times get tougher if rates stay the same.

Hi Joseph. Welcome to the site.

I understand your reasoning but I don't agree with it.

I also went to college for 4 years but I don't earn €200 per hour. My wife's work involves a skill, education at third level and 10 years' experience but she doesn't earn €200 per hour.

To liken yourself to a solicitor is a bit off IMO. To qualify as a solicitor, you not only have to get your degree but also have to complete many further exams, as I'm sure you know. And solocitors' rates are also extortionate, something which has come under focus given the economic downturn.

Many, many people are"professional" something or others but that doesn't mean they can set massive hourly rates for themselves.

And as for a day practicing the setlist? I've been to enough weddings and know enough people who have performed at weddings to know that, after a short period of time, you'll have covered the vast majority of songs and may only have to learn one or two songs for such an event.

I don't mean any of this as a slight on you. I'm just stating my opinion that the rates charged to get someone to sing at your wedding are extortionate, along with 99% of costs associated with weddings in Ireland. If people will pay it, then why shouldn't you charge it and make what you can. I'll not be surprised, though, if the number of people viewing this as something they don't need to do on their big day dwindles as times get tougher if rates stay the same.

Well all I can say to this is that I earn less than 19K a year! Is this major money? You can check my tax return last year.
    I have major costs in advertising some websites and magazines cost 3k a year.

I'm not comparing myself to a solicitor I'm far from it! Personally I put more than an hr into a wedding and I have yet to sing at a wedding where the bride and groom look for something different that takes time and I don't charge extra for that. I also don't charge extra for travel and I train my voice every week to stay in top vocal condition.

My day tomorrow consists of driving to Leitrim from Portlaoise meeting a bride and groom driving home and preparing myself for the wedding. I use professional HK audio systems and I record the vocals live at the wedding and send a copy to the couple for the video.

So that's what I earn and my course was very tough music is not easy!

• Advertisement

Well all I can say to this is that I earn less than 19K a year! Is this major money? You can check my tax return last year.
    I have major costs in advertising some websites and magazines cost 3k a year.

I'm not comparing myself to a solicitor I'm far from it! Personally I put more than an hr into a wedding and I have yet to sing at a wedding where the bride and groom look for something different that takes time and I don't charge extra for that. I also don't charge extra for travel and I train my voice every week to stay in top vocal condition.

My day tomorrow consists of driving to Leitrim from Portlaoise meeting a bride and groom driving home and preparing myself for the wedding. I use professional HK audio systems and I record the vocals live at the wedding and send a copy to the couple for the video.

So that's what I earn and my course was very tough music is not easy!

So if I hire you in your home town and my friend hires you at the other end of the country do we both pay the same? I'd feel that I was getting ripped off if this was the case.

Like I say, fair play to you for charging what you can. A lot of people don't do this kind of work as their only job. If someone was earning a decent wage for their normal joba nd charging €200 for this service, I think they're extracting the urine quite frankly.

So if I hire you in your home town and my friend hires you at the other end of the country do we both pay the same? I'd feel that I was getting ripped off if this was the case.

Like I say, fair play to you for charging what you can. A lot of people don't do this kind of work as their only job. If someone was earning a decent wage for their normal joba nd charging €200 for this service, I think they're extracting the urine quite frankly.

Ok... What do you think we should charge? :confused:

I think you just dont understand a performer will study and train for the stage for years, months and days. When the show is on its only on for an hour or maybe two and thats when a performer gets paid for his or her hard work. Thats how show business works.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985; How much do you think DJs and other signers get? Whether it be a band or just a vocalist. Do you think the good folks at Waterford Music Fest who sang didn't charge much? Likewise at other music festivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sully wrote: »
    nkay1985; How much do you think DJs and other signers get? Whether it be a band or just a vocalist. Do you think the good folks at Waterford Music Fest who sang didn't charge much? Likewise at other music festivals?

Hardly the same thing though, I mean there is one hour of singing which fair enough €200 would seem reasonable for high quality but how many songs are sang in a church wedding? I'd take a guess at 6. Call it 20/25 minutes of actual singing over the ceremony. That's not bad money not matter what way you slice it.

A DJ plays 2-3 hours at a wedding and usually costs about €200. Mine cost a bit less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    Hardly the same thing though, I mean there is one hour of singing which fair enough €200 would seem reasonable for high quality but how many songs are sang in a church wedding? I'd take a guess at 6. Call it 20/25 minutes of actual singing over the ceremony. That's not bad money not matter what way you slice it.

It is though. Its very similar. Its a short career often, signing. Its a bit like footballers - they get paid a fortune yet nobody complains. Sure half of them don't even do a full 90mins.

Here we have, probably anyway, a very good and well know singer. She has studied and worked very hard to get where she is, spending a small fortune on getting there. Once you get to that stage, you don't sit back and bring it all in. Study/work/training continues. You hardly expect her to charge a lot less and take forever to actually earn back what was spent and make a decent living out of it.

From my understanding this is about the normal price (like with any service, you can get much cheaper and much more expensive).

Some people get good singers cheaper, some get even better for a higher price.
    A DJ plays 2-3 hours at a wedding and usually costs about €200. Mine cost a bit less.

Sure all they do is stick on a few MP3s/CDs and do requests. Its all computerized. They sit back, click a few buttons, and it does the rest. Why should we pay them €200 for that? Sure anybody can put up a playlist and play them out.

Same logic.

Sure all they do is stick on a few MP3s/CDs and do requests. Its all computerized. They sit back, click a few buttons, and it does the rest. Why should we pay them €200 for that? Sure anybody can put up a playlist and play them out.

Same logic.

Yeah but there's some difference in the hourly rate there, don't you think? And I never said that djs' rates are excellent either, did I?

I know all about the study required to be a musician. I studied music for 6 years, as did my two brothers. My younger brother is about to start his third year of a music degree.

Having spent a certain amount of money in order to achieve something does not set the hourly rate for a job. And wedding singing is not a short career at all. I don't know how you'd even begin to think that? Most people who are in that line of work will start to do it in their late teens/early twenties and can easily keep it up into their forties. There are numerous people who, over the years, were still singing well into their later years.

Nobody forces you to choose this as a career. You can't set a high rate just because that's your only income. But, in this case, you can because people in Ireland will pay inflated prices for anything to do with a wedding.

Yeah but there's some difference in the hourly rate there, don't you think? And I never said that djs' rates are excellent either, did I?

I thought this €200 fee was not per hour? Its for all the music they do. DJs have a set rate I always thought, and not an hourly rate? One could argue a wedding singer does more training and work than a DJ would, yet you seemed to suggest that money was fine to give to a DJ? Or have I misunderstood? Sorry :\
    I know all about the study required to be a musician. I studied music for 6 years, as did my two brothers. My younger brother is about to start his third year of a music degree.

There is more to most jobs than a piece of paper you get from a college/university/music school. Also depends on the type of music. Iv only come to see the costs signers actually have so its why I understand it a bit more.
    Having spent a certain amount of money in order to achieve something does not set the hourly rate for a job. And wedding singing is not a short career at all. I don't know how you'd even begin to think that? Most people who are in that line of work will start to do it in their late teens/early twenties and can easily keep it up into their forties. There are numerous people who, over the years, were still singing well into their later years.

IT companies with much more experience and qualifications charge more than the random joe soap doing IT repairs. Their hourly rate is different depending on their studies. Likewise in web and graphic design - you pay the more experienced companies more (same can be said for printing but that's balanced out in the past few years).

Some areas of the music industry is and can be short lived. A popular local signer is a bit different than someone on a more national scale.
    Nobody forces you to choose this as a career. You can't set a high rate just because that's your only income. But, in this case, you can because people in Ireland will pay inflated prices for anything to do with a wedding.

Who said about forcing? If you like it, you go for it. If your ****e, you generally don't get very far or end up doing budget gigs and are not highly regarded.

Why do you think businesses are closing down? Because they cant drop prices below a certain amount as its not enough to make a living. Therefore businesses and service providers set a rate which they feel matches the quality of service they can provide and that meets their costs and is enough to actually make a living from.

Where is Adam, he can explain this a bit better as a business student/graduate!

I thought this €200 fee was not per hour? Its for all the music they do. DJs have a set rate I always thought, and not an hourly rate? One could argue a wedding singer does more training and work than a DJ would, yet you seemed to suggest that money was fine to give to a DJ? Or have I misunderstood? Sorry :\

A church service rarely lasts much longer than an hour. The singer is there for that long, even if not performing all the time, so it roughly translates to an hourly rate.
    There is more to most jobs than a piece of paper you get from a college/university/music school. Also depends on the type of music. Iv only come to see the costs signers actually have so its why I understand it a bit more.

As someone who is no stranger to the world of work, I well know that the piece of paper is mostly irrelevant. It was Joseph and yourself who seemed to suggest that the study required was some justification. The type of music is actually exactly what we're talking about - vocals. My older brother had some vocal training to add to a lot of natural talent and my younger brother is majoring in vocal performance.
    As for the last sentence there, I really don't understand it.
    IT companies with much more experience and qualifications charge more than the random joe soap doing IT repairs. Their hourly rate is different depending on their studies. Likewise in web and graphic design - you pay the more experienced companies more (same can be said for printing but that's balanced out in the past few years).

I appreciate the concept of paying more for a better standard of product but can you show me any of these companies that charge €200 for an hour's work? I would also argue that some of the fields you mentioned above would require a lot more knowledge and expertise.
    Some areas of the music industry is and can be short lived. A popular local signer is a bit different than someone on a more national scale.

But we're specifically talking about wedding singers, are we not? If the topic has changed, then I've missed it, as you wouldn't find me arguing that the music industry is anything but a fickle beast.
    Who said about forcing? If you like it, you go for it. If your ****e, you generally don't get very far or end up doing budget gigs and are not highly regarded.

Why do you think businesses are closing down? Because they cant drop prices below a certain amount as its not enough to make a living. Therefore businesses and service providers set a rate which they feel matches the quality of service they can provide and that meets their costs and is enough to actually make a living from.

Where is Adam, he can explain this a bit better as a business student/graduate!

As I said Sully, I don't mean any of this as a slight on Joseph or anybody else who's doing this. The going rate to get someone to perform this service is a rate that I, personally, wouldn't be happy to pay. Just as I thought spending a fortune on flowers at my wedding was unnecessary. Just as I thought many other things that are done at some weddings were overpriced and unnecessary. My overall point is that prices for almost everything associated with weddings in Ireland are over the top.

I'm very lucky that there's such talent in my family that I didn't have to choose to use this service or not as my love of music would have probably made me do it. Music was one thing I felt was immensely important in my wedding day. We had a harpist play from when people arrived, through the civil ceremony and during the drinks reception. The cost was €150 by the way in case anyone is wondering. We also had a top class band in Opus Pocus who I didn't mind paying as they are top class and there are a lot of them in it. And the dj I mentioned earlier who played songs from a list I drew up.

A church service rarely lasts much longer than an hour. The singer is there for that long, even if not performing all the time, so it roughly translates to an hourly rate.

€200 for one hours work might seem on the face of things expensive but its a common price for that service. I see your point though, but from their perspective I understand the pricing. Any wedding I went to the singer was there earlier, met with the bride & groom in the run up to the wedding a few times and arranged the playlist for them. Then came out and sang during a good chunk of the mass. Just seems a fair price to me if you are good with what you do tbh.

As someone who is no stranger to the world of work, I well know that the piece of paper is mostly irrelevant. It was Joseph and yourself who seemed to suggest that the study required was some justification. The type of music is actually exactly what we're talking about - vocals. My older brother had some vocal training to add to a lot of natural talent and my younger brother is majoring in vocal performance.
    As for the last sentence there, I really don't understand it.

Bah, sorry your misunderstanding me. The piece of paper is not the "Job Done" label. Most continue to work and train beyond their courses. I am not saying the courses and piece of paper are irrelevant, I am saying that most people continue to work hard on their voice and performance after these standard music courses.
    I appreciate the concept of paying more for a better standard of product but can you show me any of these companies that charge €200 for an hour's work? I would also argue that some of the fields you mentioned above would require a lot more knowledge and expertise.

Its not really an hours work for them to be fair.
    But we're specifically talking about wedding singers, are we not? If the topic has changed, then I've missed it, as you wouldn't find me arguing that the music industry is anything but a fickle beast.

I think I misunderstood what you said before, sorry! You raise a good point that a lot of local singers go well into their 40s (probably start in their late 20s/earlier 30s?).
    As I said Sully, I don't mean any of this as a slight on Joseph or anybody else who's doing this. The going rate to get someone to perform this service is a rate that I, personally, wouldn't be happy to pay. Just as I thought spending a fortune on flowers at my wedding was unnecessary. Just as I thought many other things that are done at some weddings were overpriced and unnecessary. My overall point is that prices for almost everything associated with weddings in Ireland are over the top.

I'd have went a stretch further and said Ireland as a whole charge huge rates. Wonder what this service would cost outside of Ireland? I know the argument often is that our cost of living is much higher though.
    I'm very lucky that there's such talent in my family that I didn't have to choose to use this service or not as my love of music would have probably made me do it. Music was one thing I felt was immensely important in my wedding day. We had a harpist play from when people arrived, through the civil ceremony and during the drinks reception. The cost was €150 by the way in case anyone is wondering. We also had a top class band in Opus Pocus who I didn't mind paying as they are top class and there are a lot of them in it. And the dj I mentioned earlier who played songs from a list I drew up.

One wedding I was at had a similar approach, but there was a group of people including the singer. She was signing well before the bride came, when she came, during certain parts and as she left. Didn't attend the drinks though, that was in the hotel and there was no music till the band/DJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysis I won't be having a singer at my wedding anyways. Also I might need a bride aswell.

If you can get people to pay that amount then more power to you.

Depends who will be the boss of that relationship, Seany! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Don't call it an hourly rate for a wedding, it's a bit naive and insulting. It's a single flat rate for a gig. I've also sang at a large number of weddings, and have never ever been finished in under an hour. The lateness of the bride ensures that!

You're not paying for someone to come along and sing a few songs. If that's all you want, you can probably sing them yourself, or rope in a sibling or mate. You're paying for the expertise and experience behind it that lets them sing so well. You may only see an hour and a half's performance, but that's NOT the amount of work that you're after buying.

Even if one new song is requested by the bridal party, that means at least three hours work learning it and getting the accompanist to learn it.
    If you stick by your hourly rate mentality, the hourly rate just got divided by four.

That's all well and good but a let's take the band I got for my wedding they cost €1,600 which is far from cheap but I'll break it down:

There was 4 in the band.

They played for 3 hours continuously with maybe a 15min break.

Call it 5 minute songs and it's about 33 songs on the nIght.

They learned two songs for us.

They would put the same if not more background work into their set as the church singer.

Now, I believe our church singer sang six songs and had a guitar player with her that we paid extra for to cover her costs. I can't actually remember the price but we'll call it €250 (€200+€50)

Looking at it like that you pay each member of the band €12 per song and pay the church singer €33 for pretty much the same service.

I don't care how you break it down that is a big difference.

If that's all well and good, then you accept the above point? And if so, are you just griping that you shelled out a large sum of money for the band?

They're also providing different services, despite what you believe. It's not comparing like with like. You might as well compare the service that the soloist at the ceremony provides with that of a DJ.

Of course you'll get price differences when people are selling different services.

It's a bit funny to see people begrudging singers the prices they're charging. Vote with your feet, people. You don't have to pay it if you don't want to, it's your day, organise it however you like.

• Advertisement

I'm just illustrating my point with my own experience. Yes I think we seriously overpaid but that's the band the Mrs wanted and I didn't care once they were good. I'm not complaining about it. I was actually very happy with them on the night.

I'm sorry but let's be realistic a church singer is nothing like a DJ and exactly like a band.

I'm not begrudging you getting paid that. If that's what the market pays then you are right to charge it. However, it's not good value. It's just my humble opinion but you can see from my post above you are paying well over what a band makes per song.

Anyway, we are derailing this thread and as interesting as the debate is I'm going to take my leave.

In summary. Charge what you can and like any business I wish you luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

When Marlon Brando got over a million pounds for his tiny role in Superman, he was asked about it by the media. He said that everything has its price in the market place, even hula hoops and useless endeavours...

The man made a good point.

the less people that are available to do a particular job, the more expensive that they're going to be.

I would happily pay €250 for a wedding singer for a number of reasons.

1. They need to dress appropriately.
    2. They need to make themselves to the wedding and attend the whole lot of it. (See these first two? I'd be looking for 250 just for those alone...and we haven't even got to the singing yet)
    3. They need to liaise with the bride and groom before hand to discuss what songs will be sung.
    4. They have to sing all the songs in a beautiful manner that not many people around can do.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is worth every penny.

DJs are slightly similar...they have to have all the gear and then set it up before the band go on. They then must hang around til about 12:30 to play for a couple of hours. In my opinion, any DJ who does this for less than 2-250, is robbing themselves.

Now on to the band. 1500 is ludicrous, especially if it's a 4 piece band. More than likely they're playing in a pub the following week for less than 500. How they can justify a 150% increase is beyond me.

I think people loose all sense when it comes to weddings. I wanted an easy life to be honest and she wanted a big day so I decided early on not to let the price worry me once we were within budget. I'd say if I let myself think about it I'd go insane.

Flowers is another one. I cringe when I think of what we paid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bored reader

every buying decision involves emotion and financial decision. a good balance = value. weddings are a perferct example of this. average wedding of 150 guests would consist of these costs: ( 150 guests for example )

Church Priest Sarcrastrin etc: 200
    photos 800
    flowers 500
    dresses + suit hire 2000
    music church 300
    music band 1200
    dj 200
    hotel meal flowers drinks etc 7000
    car hire 300
    misc invites, civil regristry 500
    rings 1500
    honeymoon 2000

thats 16,500. very roughly.

from being at weddings of close friends your guests will include cheap skates and generous people alike. 80 per person gift is average. 12000 gift leaves a loss of 4500.
    you can cut the loss out of unnessessary expences such as honeymoon, rings if you want to give value to your reception, party and guests. and get towards break even. if you want to profit you could pay the basics, invites civil reg priest and church and go home and hope your guests will donate a gift.

bottom line is that you PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET.
    after reading this thread in its entirety i agree with most of what is being said here, but imho the church singer with years of experience that puts aside a friday or saturday afternoon for 250/300 is good enough value. 1hr travel, meet priest family etc, set up, quick practice with auntie mary who does a lovely alleliuia, sing when required during the 1 hr cermony. this could easily turn into a 5 hour job from door to door. also pa equip and an accompanist must be paid for.
    Your aim on a wedding day should be to have a pleasant ceremony, a nice meal, an enjoyable evening and a day to remember. breaking even on the day financially should be a bonus.
    Hiring a chancer for 100 to do the church music will save you money but there are too many pitfalls. ive seen it happen and guests remember this. if I were one of the singers mentioned in this thread I would be mortified at the thought of people trying to break down my services into hourly rates when they only see you for one hour. florists likewise and photographers,, snap.

on a final note: there was a que outside a dental practice. a guy with a severe tooth ache joined the que and to his delight the que moved quickly and he was in the dentist chair quite fast. he asked the dentist 'how long will this take to be pulled? dentist replied 1 minute is all. great said the guy in pain, and how much do you charge? dentist replied 100 euro. patient was discusted and replied 'that's robbery, for 1 minutes work!'

dentist replied 'well if its the time your worried about i can take all the time you like'

Im sure church singers would gladly sing hymns for as long as you like also.

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

As someone who sang at nkay1985's wedding for FREE (as well as free food and booze at dinner as the best man!) I would like to say that a singer is entitled to charge whatever they want. If the person hiring them is happy to pay that, great! If they're not then then over time the price will drop as the singer will not get jobs. A natural balance of what their service is worth will eventually be found.

I don't buy into the whole "I studied music in college, so I'm entitled to x amount" thing at all. I know plenty of singers who were trained but aren't great, as well as many natural singers who have never had a lesson but are fantastic. Singing is not a required service. If people don't want to hear your music your training is worthless. Singing should be judged on talent and performance ability, and remember that that talent is decided upon by the listening party. You could be fantastically talented at classical music but the person hiring you might hate it. At a wedding I'm sure that most people would like a classical-style singer. But singing training entitles you to no more pay than a wino on the street who happens to sing exactly like Pavarotti. (Obviously a joke example but you get my drift)

Singing at weddings or funerals or any other event is a service industry at the end of the day. You negotiate a price that the buying party is willing to pay for your services. As a singer, if it's a good price and you're good at what you do you'll get lots of work. If you're not, and the price is wrong, you won't. Simples!

So don't begrudge anyone what they charge for their service. As long as people are willing to pay the price they've got every right.

Lastly, I'm available for all functions at €50 an hour plus a few bottles and a lift home! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Hi There,
    I’m new to this website and try to refrain from getting involved in discussions online but I couldn’t refrain myself when I read this.
    I’m a professional tenor singer and I charge €280.00 to sing at a wedding.
    I have gone to college studied music for 4 years and I have my degree this cost me and my generous parents a lot of money. I now depend totally on weddings and corporate events to make the bulk of my living.
    A wedding for me consists of meeting the bride and groom beforehand which could be anywhere around the Country to discuss their songs and hymns. I then have at the least one day training and studying for the playlist the bride and groom require.
    I have to pay for sound equipment and travel for the day including diesel.
    I can’t understand why some people argue about what we charge for a wedding. Its a serious responsibility.
    To go a step further a solicitor who went to study his career will charge an average of €250.00 an hour I put a lot more than an hr into a wedding and sometimes in winter season I might only have one wedding a week!
    A wedding band averages around €2000.00 and this is only for the drinking session later! The day in the Church, registry office or place of worship is the most important part... it’s a little like people who celebrate Christmas but don’t go to celebrate it in church etc... People forget what the day is about your wedding day is about "Going to your place of worship and marrying the love of your life" and of course celebrating this event afterwards...
    Sorry for the ramble this is just my opinion and I’m sure many people would agree??
    Id have to disagree strongly with your bit about wedding bands being 2000 grand on average. I think thats way off the mark and in these recessionary times you will find they are alot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I have ended up performing at weddings semi regularly over the past few years and I would just like to point out a few things.

Regardless of what you charge, it is not an hourly rate. It does not equate to a normal job. If you work in an office, you clock in at 9 and out at 5 every day. For the service provided at a wedding the end product will last for an hour but the preparation probably takes upwards of 7 or 8.

You have to take into account that even though the actual service only takes an hour, the musician cannot take on any other work that day(this is of course time dependant but an average 2pm wedding, it would be 4ish by the time you are packed up and gone)

You book someone, you ask for specific songs. It may work in their favour and they might know those songs already. They might have to learn every one of them from scratch which takes a huge amount of time!

As a performer you do not get paid for:
    *travel
    *rehearsal time
    *expenses(hiring PA if needed, new strings for guitar etc)

These all have to be factored into the price that is charged

You cannot compare it to a standard job that pays hourly because it is not possible to do 8 weddings a day!

I have ended up performing at weddings semi regularly over the past few years and I would just like to point out a few things.

Regardless of what you charge, it is not an hourly rate. It does not equate to a normal job. If you work in an office, you clock in at 9 and out at 5 every day. For the service provided at a wedding the end product will last for an hour but the preparation probably takes upwards of 7 or 8.

You have to take into account that even though the actual service only takes an hour, the musician cannot take on any other work that day(this is of course time dependant but an average 2pm wedding, it would be 4ish by the time you are packed up and gone)

You book someone, you ask for specific songs. It may work in their favour and they might know those songs already. They might have to learn every one of them from scratch which takes a huge amount of time!

As a performer you do not get paid for:
    *travel
    *rehearsal time
    *expenses(hiring PA if needed, new strings for guitar etc)

These all have to be factored into the price that is charged

You cannot compare it to a standard job that pays hourly
    because it is not possible to do 8 weddings a day!

If I get a plumber to me house I'm not paying for his 4 year apprentice.
    The majority of people who have jobs have to pay for transportation to get there.
    Guitar strings ???? Seriously.

/ devils advocate

You really really are!
    Do you expect you'd pay the same if you hired a guy from the classified ads section who had no qualifications?

• Advertisement

wet-paint wrote: »
    You really really are!
    Do you expect you'd pay the same if you hired a guy from the classified ads section who had no qualifications?
    Ooops l completely fooked up trying to get my point across.

Advertisement