Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utvinternet You thieve internet!

• 01-03-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

I do not recommend UTVINTERNET,

Since utvinternet reduce their charges and do not inform their customers of this (they say it is written in the small print of the bill) I have had it with them. I presume that if the broadband charges were to increase they would email me and phone me to make sure that I knew this.
    I have decided to leave them for another provider. This new provider then said they would arrange a seamless crossover. However when UTVINTERNET was asked to release me from their broadband account they said that 30 days notice was required. (Must have been in the small print?) I phoned UTVINTERNET to get this release but was told that the 'account release' person was not in, so the process would have to take place the next day. Ok so they say they will ring me? O boy! We will see!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

UTV also charge a termination fee (used to anyway)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Yeah, they charge a termination fee too!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mrskinner wrote: »
    I do not recommend UTVINTERNET,

Since utvinternet reduce their charges and do not inform their customers of this (they say it is written in the small print of the bill) I have had it with them. I presume that if the broadband charges were to increase they would email me and phone me to make sure that I knew this.
    I have decided to leave them for another provider. This new provider then said they would arrange a seamless crossover. However when UTVINTERNET was asked to release me from their broadband account they said that 30 days notice was required. (Must have been in the small print?) I phoned UTVINTERNET to get this release but was told that the 'account release' person was not in, so the process would have to take place the next day. Ok so they say they will ring me? O boy! We will see!

Virtually all companies have a 30 day notice requitement. However your leaving them should not be dependent on any particular person being in. I am sure if you wanted to pay them money over the phone there would have been loads of 'money takers' available. Dont accept such crap from them.
    Email them as well as phoning them so that you will have a record of your cancellation and ask for an acknowledgement by email from them.

Ah to think that UTV were once known for being innovative and customer friendly until the era of 'cute hoorism' descended on them:rolleyes: And as for the 'ransom' payment......................:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Err, you are complaining and leaving them because they did not tell you they were REDUCING charges even though it was mentioned on your bill. Ok then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

By the way what email address did yoy send your cancellation to. I sent a cancellation email to admin@u.tv a few days ago and have heard nothing back. I know this is a valid email address, but maybe not the right one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

byte wrote: »
    UTV also charge a termination fee (used to anyway)...

still do,
    30e be it a migration or cancel

Every ISP gets charged this fee by eircom wholesale, utv are only one's to pass it onto the customer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Cabaal wrote: »
    Every ISP gets charged this fee by eircom wholesale, utv are only one's to pass it onto the customer though

Wow! I just assumed it was a UTV charge. It's awful that Eircom even charge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm lost here.

You're moving away from UTV because they REDUCED YOUR BILL.

That's a pretty strange complaint.

I'm lost here.

You're moving away from UTV because they REDUCED YOUR BILL.

That's a pretty strange complaint.

They didn't reduce the ops bill and they referred him to the small print on his bill as to why. (at least thats the way it seems to me to read)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dub45 wrote: »
    They didn't reduce the ops bill and they referred him to the small print on his bill as to why. (at least thats the way it seems to me to read)
    aah, i was wondering for a minute what was going on there, but it seems like they may have used the old trick of reducing charges via new packages and then just not telling existing customers and leaving them on the old package at the higher price maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭mrskinner

They did not reduce my bill. Any changes in charges is not written in the bill. They charged me a lot for going over the download cap at christmas when my kids were home. They phoned me any time my credit card changed and they needed the new expiry date. They do not respond to emails. They are not as helpful as at first in dealing with customers. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to understand what is being said due to an unfamiliar accent. The customer is always wrong here. Like Ryanair it is important to extract £££ whenever possible.
    I would ring them to inform them that I wanted to close my account. 1890 926000

Its not a good idea to cancel a contract over the phone without formally notifying the company in writing too. Phone calls have an unfortunate habit of being forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭mrskinner

Vibe666 thats exactly the trick they pull. Change the package that is offered and never tell the existing customers. It is a mean trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

er what prices changed? my bill is the same for the past year, 55.43 a month for 7mb+unlimited( according to their website its 52euro for 7mb without unlimited and last i remember unlimited was 6 euro lol )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I think there's a difference of 4-5 euro on mine now - the 3 Mb package. I'm pretty sure all providers are reticent with new prices unless you're a new customer - it's business. It just means that we (as consumers) have to keep checking.
    I'm not sure if I'll sign up for a new contract to avail of the price decrease as I don't want to have to pay the larger get-out fee if I see a better offer and decide to go elsewhere. The €30 charge is enough to have to pay.
    Having said that, as ISPs go, UTV doesn't seem to be the worst overall. I've usually been fairly lucky with CS on the whole and I'd hate to move and discover things got worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

No trick, sign up to a new 12-month contract and they will give you the new rate plus the other benefits for new users: half-price for 3 months and 3 months free unlimited download. They emailed all customers a pretty clear link in their January monthly statement.

Btw, I cancelled my clicksilver in Jan and they have yet to charge me the €30. I wouldn't even complain if they did, it has more than paid for itself.

Onikage wrote: »
    No trick, sign up to a new 12-month contract and they will give you the new rate plus the other benefits for new users: half-price for 3 months and 3 months free unlimited download. They emailed all customers a pretty clear link in their January monthly statement.

Btw, I cancelled my clicksilver in Jan and they have yet to charge me the €30. I wouldn't even complain if they did, it has more than paid for itself.

T&Cs say that the 3 months free unlimited and the half price offer are only available to new customers. Have they changed that for 2010? That would indeed be generous ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Its a while ago now, but I found out by accident that UTV had reduced their charges. I rang them to ask why I did not receive the reduced rate. They said you have to ask them for the new rate and you are starting a new 12 (or 6, can't remember) month contact.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a while ago now, but I found out by accident that UTV had reduced their charges. I rang them to ask why I did not receive the reduced rate. They said you have to ask them for the new rate and you are starting a new 12 (or 6, can't remember) month contact.

Its pretty normal fopr ISP's only to reduce prices if you ask them, new contracts for new packages are normal to

Domscard wrote: »
    T&Cs say that the 3 months free unlimited and the half price offer are only available to new customers. Have they changed that for 2010? That would indeed be generous ;)

They have always offered it to anyone who asks for it. The only reason I left is because they couldn't offer me a slightly higher cap.

• Advertisement

They have always offered it to anyone who asks for it. The only reason I left is because they couldn't offer me a slightly higher cap.

Not always - I upgraded my contract a few times over the years and had a prolonged dispute with them over the special offers that I wanted to have too. They were adamant that it was only for new customers. Are you sure they will give these perks to existing customers now?

They didn't give offers like the photo frames or draws, but since 2004 they have always offered me the new customer perks on condition that I sign up for another 12 months. Always.

Unlimited is their high cap option,

They didn't give offers like the photo frames or draws, but since 2004 they have always offered me the new customer perks on condition that I sign up for another 12 months. Always.

If you sign a new 12 month contract you are as good as a new customer to them. Where customers feel 'wronged' is when they are established customers and are required to enter a new contract to get any new benefits that may be going.

For example some years ago when Eircom began to upgrade speeds Eircom passed on those upgrades automatically to current customers. UTV didnt and required customers to enter into new 12 month contracts. They were the first to require this as far as I remember and it marked the beginning of their 'cute hoorism' stage and the end of their innovative customer friendly approach which for a long time had made them pretty unique among ips.

Interesting, because I have a series of protracted emails from the same year refusing me these perks on the basis that it was applicable to new customers only - from their website T&Cs: http://www.utvinternet.com/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/index.asp

"The 3 month promotional price is only available to new, first time sign-ups only"

I will surely try to see if I can get these perks if I decide to sign up for a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dathai1

I too have been concerned in the past when UTV have not passed on price reductions to current customers. However on this occasion I don't feel too cheated.

I've had 3MB Clicksilver (inc. off peak calls) for years @ €25.36 + €16.99 = €42.35
    New price on u.tv is €41.99. A recuction of 36c!

Looks like they only rounded down the prices to the nearest €.
    I don't think I'll get too excited about it this time round.

EDIT: As somebody else said, the u.tv website is quite poor and a fault seems to indicate that 3MB Clicksilver is €38.99. However this is the Clicksilver 1MB price. Clicking the correct tab (1MB / 3MB / 7MB / 8MB) on the display updates to the correct prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Yeah but signing up for 12 months is just like being a new customer anyway, not much of a perk.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Im moving over to Vodafone for their phone line and broadband.The phone line has gone ok but Vodafone rang me today to say UTV have blocked the migration.I have emailed them today so i will be interested to see if and when they reply.
    Funnily enough I got an email from UTV last week advising of reduced rates for their phone and broadband..Too late amigos...

I knew there would be a hitch when moving over but if I have to pay the 30 euro to be rid of it,then so be it.I have been with them for over 6 years and to be fair,they havent been too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

UTV tell you of new rates, but do not move you over unless you ask. Not ideal, but every mobile phone company does this too. You can move and get the new rates at any time by extending your contract. You decide whether to pay extra over the cap or have them cut you off or you can pay unlimited. UTV are towards the cheapest end of the providers and obviously they achieve this Ryanair style by having certain charges, but it is up to customer to decide what they want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement