Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hughes & hughes voucher

Options
  • 01-03-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Didnt get a chance to redeem my voucher before the shutters came down, is there any way I could get my money back? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Generally in these situations, you are out of luck. People in your situation are pretty much near the end of the queue for getting money and are unlikely to get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

AFAIK the airport branches are still open, isn't there a smaller Hughes & Hughes shop within the check in area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Check on the front door on one of the stores. Theres a notice on it and says something about giftcards.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

It all depends. If the voucher was purchased by a credit card then you would have some comeback, otherwise you lose the cost of the voucher. A guy was on the Last Word before Xmas about this and advised to purchase vouchers by credit card only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It all depends. If the voucher was purchased by a credit card then you would have some comeback, otherwise you lose the cost of the voucher. A guy was on the Last Word before Xmas about this and advised to purchase vouchers by credit card only.

I'm not so sure about that. The credit card was used to purchase a gift voucher. This HAS been supplied so the credit card company may be able to argue that you got what was paid for - a voucher!

Hope I am wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I'm not so sure about that. The credit card was used to purchase a gift voucher. This HAS been supplied so the credit card company may be able to argue that you got what was paid for - a voucher!

Hope I am wrong though.

No , you will be able to claim from the credit card.

The product is the credit , not the actual card.

Same situation to flight tickets , the actual paper tickets have no value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

It's unlikely but was listening to something about this on the radio this morning (galway bay fm if you're looking further on it) on the consumer issue surrounding vouchers and gift cards - you could contact the registered address of the business and see what happens, you might get a goodwill gesture, but not likely.

it appears from what i heard on the radio that some places are only offering 50% of the vouchers' worth as they wind down the business.

there's currently no legislation surrounding vouchers and gift cards though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Redpunto wrote: »
    Didnt get a chance to redeem my voucher before the shutters came down, is there any way I could get my money back? Thanks

You are basically an unsecured creditor, and are likely to get little or nothing, since the company is insolvent.

As other poster mention, if they were purchased bu credit card, you should be able to raise a chargeback and get the money back that way.

Some told me they heard mention in the media of some poor soul with €700+ of vouchers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bosco1023

I went to the Hughes & Hughes branch in Dublin airport today, they will not take gift vouchers but they gave me this phone number to ring.
    01 4074797. It’s for Deloitte who are handling the receivership. They advise that you keep a photocopy of your voucher for your own records and sent the original to the below address along with your contact address. I sent mine off so we’ll see what happens.

Hughes & Hughes Ltd in receivership
    C/O David Carson Receiver & Manager
    Deloitte & Touche
    Deloitte House
    Belfort Terrace
    Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Bosco1023 wrote: »
    I went to the Hughes & Hughes branch in Dublin airport today, they will not take gift vouchers but they gave me this phone number to ring.
    01 4074797. It’s for Deloitte who are handling the receivership. They advise that you keep a photocopy of your voucher for your own records and sent the original to the below address along with your contact address. I sent mine off so we’ll see what happens.

Hughes & Hughes Ltd in receivership
    C/O David Carson Receiver & Manager
    Deloitte & Touche
    Deloitte House
    Belfort Terrace
    Dublin 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Im still waiting on the zavvi refund, its due to be refunded next month so hope yours will be faster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

lol, I'm in a more unlucky situation.

I went into hughes and hughes the other day, and tried to redeem my voucher. I was told that the voucher was too old (it was still a swipe card) and that it had to be sent back to the main office and they would have to issue a new one.

That's all and good, I was told I would get a phonecall back. but dun dun dun a couple of days later they shut up shop.

Do I have any chance? I don't have any proof of it apart from a rewards card they gave me

cheers,

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Kevin! wrote: »
    lol, I'm in a more unlucky situation.

I went into hughes and hughes the other day, and tried to redeem my voucher. I was told that the voucher was too old (it was still a swipe card) and that it had to be sent back to the main office and they would have to issue a new one.

That's all and good, I was told I would get a phonecall back. but dun dun dun a couple of days later they shut up shop.

Do I have any chance? I don't have any proof of it apart from a rewards card they gave me

cheers,

Kevin

i'm exactly the same! but they took the actual gift card from me so i've nothing! it was only €16 but still im pissed off :mad:

feel sorry for the poor staff though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I hope everybody out there with vouchers is taking note. Nowhere is safe these days so use them straight away.

I always give money as a gift, never goes out of date, doesn't involve any charges and gives the recipient more choice.

Advertisement