Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone following whats happening on RDF.net?

• 01-03-2010 7:10pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was never one for the Richard Dawkins forum myself (its rather a busman's holiday for me :) ) but the recent events seem.... wow. Nuts.

They basically closed the forum and told all their mods to go forth and procreate.

Wow. I've actually lost a bit of respect for Dawkins now, though I guess being a world class biologist doesnt stop you from being a poor "people person". Still... I expected better rigourous thinking from him then some ad hominae attack on free speech.

The only winners will be the religious fundies of course... you dont see them arguing amongst themselves.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not so fast. RD has a guy (Josh Timonen) who does all his internet-related stuff; RD has to take Josh's word on things like this, and back his decisions, because he's not a webmaster and relatively new to this "social networking" stuff. The way Josh dismissed the moderators was abrupt and insulting, and that's when the badmouthing started - not before. Read what one of the moderators has to say: here and here.

RD has now apologised for what happened: Times Online. When a lot of people put a lot of effort in to maintaining a site, you do not simply tell them to sod off, as Josh (not RD) did at first.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It sounds like the moderator just got sick of moderating

Happens all the time on Boards.ie, the problem with RDF seems to be that unlike Boards.ie there wasn't this culture of user moderation, so the moderator decided to just tell everyone to feck off.

I would imagine they are still feeling their way through running a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

My theory is that Dawkins didn't want to be seen associated with some (small percentage) of the stuff that was posted. Maybe he doesn't get that every forum comes attached with trolls, and they are part of the landscape.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, BNT has it right... I've been reading this stuff all day... before I posted my post.

My criticism of RD came from his first post which he has now retracted. That Josh bloke sounds like a total assh*le.

All the same, its a really bad way to treat the moderators, its not a case that they were introducing moderatorship there, they have always had it... they were going to move to a "comments only" model on main articles (which isnt anything like a forum and wont have a community spirit). Now they have relented but are going to pre-moderate threads.

I wouldnt expect they will get many moderators back and they better be ready to do a lot of the work themselves and to lose a lot of page impressions.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

DeVore wrote: »
    My criticism of RD came from his first post which he has now retracted. That Josh bloke sounds like a total assh*le.

I was under the false impression that he was a volunteer, but now I find out hes getting paid? Yeah total assh*le indeedy.

EDIT: well...nothing against people earning a living, I just thought he was donating his free time to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

iUseVi wrote: »
    I was under the false impression that he was a volunteer, but now I find out hes getting paid? Yeah total assh*le indeedy.

EDIT: well...nothing against people earning a living, I just thought he was donating his free time to it.
    No he does all sorts of media related stuff for the RDF as far as I know, not just the forum, so he gets paid

This business about the forum being shut down has been talked about on every science blog in the world, it's a pain in the bollix cos my Google Reader is full of it :p I haven't had the will to read anything about it cos I don't really care that much

It appears to have reached a relatively peaceful resolution now anyways

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dave! wrote: »
    It appears to have reached a relatively peaceful resolution now anyways
    Nothing more peaceful than a locked forum. :pac:

I can see the religious response...

"Trouble in paradise, huh?!"
    Moe+Simpsons.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

all that over a few trolls?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

branie wrote: »
    all that over a few trolls?
    Crumbs, hope the bold Josh never becomes a mod here. He wouldn't last a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

DeVore wrote: »
    The only winners will be the religious fundies of course... you dont see them arguing amongst themselves.

Hardly. Apart from being told that my just-deceased father must have long been ashamed of me (on, as luck would have it, the RDF discussion forum) about the worst bile I've seen spewn forth occurs at CARM.org's discussion forum - most notably in the Calvinism/Arminianism section.

The vitriol from those identifying themselves (and the objects of their anger) as brothers in Christ takes the breath away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Wow this is pretty shocking. I hav'nt lurked on there in ages. Do you lot think it will ever be an open forum again? Is it possibly that website might even close?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The website wont close but the community is shattered as far as I can see. Trust is not something that comes back lightly. The mods/admins were treated terribly and as volunteers I doubt they will be rushing back to build the community again, especially on such dodgy ground.

DeV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

CARM.org
    Ye gods -- an entire forum devoted to creationism. Abandon all hope, etc, etc.

All the same, it's interesting to see on a site seemingly controlled by protestant-leaning fundies, that the most popular forums are catholicism, evolution and atheism.

Even odder to see a fundie website offering tuition in something called "Critical thinking".

Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dades wrote: »

I can see the religious response...

I think that there has been a fairly considered response from the religious folk I've encountered. We have also been discussing it over on our side of the divide. If a forum can reach the critical mass required to build a self sustaining community, then I guess there is always a chance of it self-destructing. I disliked RD.net for a number of reasons, but it is sad that it has come to this.

Advertisement