Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing a colour on video playback

Options
  • 01-03-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this but anyway...

My monitor is missing red when I play back video. It only happens on video playback. Desktop is fine and I can generate colour bars in the graphics card properties and all is good.
    Just in case, I've checked the VGA cable and its fine. Tried another computer and all was fine.

So is there a problem with my graphics card for video playback only? Never heard of this before.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Video playback only? Not with gaming, image editing, animated images etc.??

If so, check with several different video formats to see which are affected - sounds like you have some corrupt codecs or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

yeah, thats what I was thinking. Thanks.

I just uninstalled a load of codecs there (k-lite codec pack) and then reinstalled it and all good now! Weird.
    cheers!

Ah ffs!:mad:

Turned on the pc today and back to missing red!
    Had to uninstall and reinstall codecs again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried different players such as VLC?

Would you believe it's gone green again!

Yes this is happening with vlc and media player classic and windows media player. And it's definitely only video that's missing colour.

I'm wondering If it was just a coincidence that it worked after reinstalling codecs. Could be something else entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Could be a virus or borked Registry/System Restore (possibly due to virus!) that's causing it if you have to reinstall codecs every time you restart the machine...

Could be. I've disabled hardware acceleration for video and that appears to have done it... I think. Maybe it's time for a new graphics card, or a new pc! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You might think this is cheating, but a clean install of your operating system would most likely fix the problem and not only that but speed you're pc up considerably.

It's what most/all computer repair shops would have done for you

that was actually done pretty recently. Its just a crap machine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Maybe try a different codec pack while you're at it. I'm a K-lite fan myself, but CCCP could solve your problems if you're willing to give it a whirl :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yes i use CCCP and was going to suggest that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

check overlay colour settings in video driver options, sounds like someones messing with your settings for a laugh.

Advertisement