Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am I wasting my time doing a degree at age 29..?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I used to work in the construction sector and as a result of the recession I am currently unemployed, last year in an attempt to upskill I decided I would do a degree in business studies (part time) with the hope of eventually making a career change or enter a trainee management role.

I am 29 years of age and I am now beginning to think I may be wasting my time doing a degree at this stage, most people my age are already well settled into their chosen career and I cant help but feel I probably wont be able to utilise a degree in business because of my age by the time I would finish the degree I would be 33.

just wondering what anyone else in a similar position thinks...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

It's never too late. I started mine at 28 and will finish off a Masters this year. Yes there will be ppl younger than you but so what. Every person brings sthg to the table, be it college or work. Go for it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Immanuel_CAN

veron01 wrote: »
    It's never too late. I started mine at 28 and will finish off a Masters this year. Yes there will be ppl younger than you but so what. Every person brings sthg to the table, be it college or work. Go for it:)

I appreciate the encouragement, but I cant help but think, being a graduate at 33 is not what employers are looking for, I am sure it will be a great acheivement to gain a degree but I am just concerned it may not make a big defference when it comes to gaining employment or starting a good career....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

veron01 wrote: »

+1.

I have just started a 2 yr part-time masters in a different discipline this year and will finish when I am 34. Its not unusual for people to change careers anymore many times during their working life - I am going for my third now. Go for it and good luck with the degree! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Coming out with a degree in 2 years will look much better to employers than you having sat around on the dole for 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

OP i'm 29 and have applied for four different degree courses this year, three are 4 year hons. and one is 4&half years hons. It is never too late to do anything in life, i've read about 80 yr olds going back to uni to do degree courses:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

man i'm the exact same as you, 30, been in construction (carpenter) for 13 years, running away from it, computer systems in UL 4yr hons degree in sept !!
    go for it ! age is nothing, life experience is with us ! get the head down and get on with it, it'll come easier to us i think
    we have most of our partying done also...don't know if that's a good thing tho !! :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Go for it. You will have a big advantage over young graduates - you already have work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

In my experience employers like to see both experience and education, so I wouldn't worry about going back.

I suspect you will be surprised at the number of mature students around when you start!

I would have huge respect for anyone who would go back to college as a mature student and any employer would be the same. It is not the easy option.

Good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Oh please don't say you're too old, just go for it! I was lucky and got the chance to finish a degree at age 39, & did my masters a few years later, approx. age 45. I never regretted it, as I just left school straight after Leaving Cert and was delighted to get the chance to return to education. I have interviewed people for jobs and I have to say, education looks really good on the CV. I would be more concerned about interviewing someone who sat around and didn't do anything. To me the education shows great initiative and "get up & go".

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I hope not, I am planning to return this year to do a full time course and I'm 41:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

First year student at 29 here. Don't even hesitate for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

No way! I'm 41 and in my first year again. I change careers every ten years. I worked construction first, then theatre and am now going into information studies to have a go in the libraries. I like to mess with career guidance people's heads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Definitely not too old OP, I'm 36 now in 2nd year and will be hoping to do a masters at the end of the degree.
    I have a sister who works in HR and she said that a maturer person coming in with the same degree (usually a 1st honours in mature students cases) as their young counterpart will be more likely to land the job.
    She said it boils down to attitude and that the maturer person usually displays more determination as well as obvious maturity!!!!!

Go for it, you will be less likely to compete with the young kids in 4 years without a degree!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Tbh mate, if i was an employer i think its a no brainer that i would rather hire an applicant with experience under his belt and as such a good work attitude rather then some twitchy young lad with the attention span of a gnat.

At the end of the day you probably already outclass a lot of the younger college graduates with your experience alone, add on to that the exact same, or better degree and you'll blow them out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

37 and finishing degree this summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Im in the same predicament myself and Im 29 too. I have been trying to look for excuses not to go back but to be honest I cant find any!! So hopefully I will be heading back to do a degree in September.

Remember your only as old as you feel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

A degree like that might help you move up to management in the construction business. It's not like you're starting from scratch when you finish this degree, you can use your experience to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Well if your a better student than me your grand, I`m 28 in 2nd year but barely passing, lucky if I get a 2.2. Generally mature student do a lot better so employers preffer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wouldn't a 2.2 be considered comfortable?

I was a bit worried about applying for my degree because I will be 28 when it starts in September. The thing that puts it in perspective is that when I graduate I will still have 30+ years working in that field before I retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Went back to college when i was 29 and upskilled.
    Employers would probably prefer an older canditate as they are less likely to leave employment, also life experience can be a valuable asset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Turtyturd thats a great way of looking at it, very true!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Well I'm 26, and even for me its a big decision to go back(which hopefully will happen in September). If I had kids or a Celtic tiger mortgage I dont think I could do it, especially now since they cut the BTEA/grant combination which I'm absolutley fuming over as it was one of the main incentives to go back. Oh well, 3-4 years of poverty looms, hopefully it will be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

I used to work in the construction sector and as a result of the recession I am currently unemployed, last year in an attempt to upskill I decided I would do a degree in business studies (part time) with the hope of eventually making a career change or enter a trainee management role.

I am 29 years of age and I am now beginning to think I may be wasting my time doing a degree at this stage, most people my age are already well settled into their chosen career and I cant help but feel I probably wont be able to utilise a degree in business because of my age by the time I would finish the degree I would be 33.

Hi OP

I don't think it is ever too late to do a degree. I did mine part time 4 yrs in DIT Bolton St. Have to admit it was the best decision I ever made. When I left school I hadn't a clue what I wanted to do so I just went out working. Found out what work I was good at and then did my degree based around that.
    And to be honest the few jobs I have had since I completed my degree at the interview stage it has been looked very well upon, as I was working and doing my degree which shows them committment.
    I say go for it and don't look back. It will be hard going and you will want to throw in the towel at a few stages but if you stick with it then as my mother always said....
    "Education is something they can never take off you!"
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

ocokev wrote: »
    Went back to college when i was 29 and upskilled.
    Employers would probably prefer an older canditate as they are less likely to leave employment, also life experience can be a valuable asset.

Totally agree with that, life experience is very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Well I'm 26, and even for me its a big decision to go back(which hopefully will happen in September). If I had kids or a Celtic tiger mortgage I dont think I could do it, especially now since they cut the BTEA/grant combination which I'm absolutley fuming over as it was one of the main incentives to go back. Oh well, 3-4 years of poverty looms, hopefully it will be worth it.

Same here...26, moved back home with the folks,leaving a good job in marketing & hoping to start Children's Nursing this September. The next 4/5 years will be tough i'm sure but i've come to realise that I have qualities better suited to the caring profession that the corporate!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

go for it! one of my friends is 29 and hes hopeing to go back and do a masters next year. im one of the youngest in my class doing a PLC at 19 but everyone else is between 29 and 53 and they are all going to 3rd level next year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Tbh mate, if i was an employer i think its a no brainer that i would rather hire an applicant with experience under his belt and as such a good work attitude rather then some twitchy young lad with the attention span of a gnat.

At the end of the day you probably already outclass a lot of the younger college graduates with your experience alone, add on to that the exact same, or better degree and you'll blow them out of the water.

Your experience will help a lot in some courses plus when you apply for jobs you'll outshine both the guys with experience but no qualifications, AND the people with qualifications but little experience. Ireland has been slightly different on this over the last 10 years but things are swinging back very much in favour of having both experience and a solid qualification.

It definitely looks better than somebody who just sat on the dole and waited for a job to come to them, but its also better than somebody who just sat on their hole in a job for years and took progression for granted without bothering to do anything about it for themselves. I find the place riddled with people who don't know what hit them when misfortune occurs because they really just took it all for granted - you'll show an ability to think ahead and outside the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭shooter1978

not at all , sure what else is there to do? no sign of things picking up anytime soon. i have been jobseeking for the past 6 months now. some jobs there but offering peanuts. i would actually be better off going back to college - financially.

i am in the same boat as yourself - 31 years of age , mortgage the last ten years. only way i can afford to keep my house is go back to college.

dont get me wrong now , that is not purely the reason why i want to return. never too old . it will give you the focus and drive that when things do pick up you will be in a much better position

go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Pretty strong consensus here. College drop out at 18. Built a decent career in computers in the meantime. Switched to catering at 30 and at 37 I've a degree and a Masters at this dicipline which I would have never achieved at my previous career as I had no love for computers. If you are going to go back to college choose something that you're enthused by and you'll be more likely to excel and stay the course. I've no regrets and up until a recent voluntary change to domestic engineer;) I've had no problem finding and retaining work.

Education is never wasted. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 clonagirl

Hi! You will definitely have a long career ahead of you, especially as the retirement age is going to be raised! I'm applying this year and I'm in my thirties!!:)

Advertisement