Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am I wasting my time doing a degree at age 29..?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I'm 32 and hoping to start a degree course next year all going well. Good luck! You are never too old to learn, there are people in their 80s doing degrees:eek: (or so I hear)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bobie

I used to work in the construction sector and as a result of the recession I am currently unemployed, last year in an attempt to upskill I decided I would do a degree in business studies (part time) with the hope of eventually making a career change or enter a trainee management role.

I am 29 years of age and I am now beginning to think I may be wasting my time doing a degree at this stage, most people my age are already well settled into their chosen career and I cant help but feel I probably wont be able to utilise a degree in business because of my age by the time I would finish the degree I would be 33.

just wondering what anyone else in a similar position thinks...?
    Hi,
    I went back to education after over 20 years. I did the leaving cert first through VTOS and was surprised with how well id did, so I gave the college a try. I am 43 now and sitting exams next week for an BSC honours degree in industrial microbiology. I don't regret a minute of it, wont say it was easy but its an achievement in itself to be able to prove to yourself you can do it. I don't know what i'm doing after i finish but i'm hopeful of securing a decent job.
    Its never too late to learn something new. Best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I used to work in the construction sector and as a result of the recession I am currently unemployed, last year in an attempt to upskill I decided I would do a degree in business studies (part time) with the hope of eventually making a career change or enter a trainee management role.

I am 29 years of age and I am now beginning to think I may be wasting my time doing a degree at this stage, most people my age are already well settled into their chosen career and I cant help but feel I probably wont be able to utilise a degree in business because of my age by the time I would finish the degree I would be 33.

It's well worth it, you will loads of new people as well as the educational and career benefits. Also it will challenge your brain, which i found to be healthy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

im 43 and heading to UCD in Sept to study Engineering full time. Like you I was in Construction for a long time, ended up as Project Manager earning in excess of 150k annually. I am now on dole and have tried at being self employed for the last year but failed miserably, nobody spending money out there. Only thing for it is to go back and study. At least in 5 years time I will have been doing something rather than sitting on the dole waiting for the recession to end.
    This recession has turned everything and everyone on its head. People in their 40s and 50s (whom historically were well settled in their careers and homes at this stage in their lives) have now had the rugs pulled from under them and face a life of dole or retraining or setting up a new business. Every option is tough but you must move forward. You are right to retrain and get out of construction. You are young and still have 75% of your working life ahead of you. Go for it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Go for it OP. A graduate at 33 is no problem. Most people are just over a third of the way through their working lives at that age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

no ur not :) at this time the best thing to do is stay in education till economy picks up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

I'll be 41 (ish) when I finish degree w/Open University... then on to full-time study for a year (or so!!).
    Keep it lit!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Hi Guys,

I want to go to College in next year or so. I'm just worried financially as i have loans ( as i'm sure most people do!) I went to the citizens advice bureau re entitlements / assistance & they basically told me i have to be sitting on my bum for 9 mths prior,unemployed before i can obtain BTEA! Can you believe it! I have to sit around and do nout before i get anything, where is the sense in that?
    Anyway just wondering if the maintenance grant is of similar value to this or which is better if any? I really don't want to sit around for 9 mths or i will loose my mind! Just looking for another avenue which i could go if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it as i don't have much knowledge on this sort of thing as i've never done it before.

Many Thanks !

Maz

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi Maz

The maintenance grant is not high at all - The rate is about 3000 for the year, whereas the BTEA would work out much better but you are not on the dole so not eligible. Can you save for a bit and try and pay off some debts/bills?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 felony

If you haven't got enough inspiration from above then have a read of this!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/education/2010/0316/1224266347477.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I worked in construction and Im the same age as you. You might as well do something else as that sector is well and truly screwed for a long time.
    I went back to college and Im going into my second year in social work and love it. Its a degree course that is four years long and I will be a qualified social worker at 33 years of age. There are others in my class who are far older than me.
    Id say go for it. There are plenty of supports and payments in this country for people going back to education. You will not regret it. College life is anazing, you dont even have to go in half the time :D. You are always clean as opposed to a dirty building site. You are inside out of the elements in a nice warm classroom in the winter. You have all summer off etc, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 layz65

No way dude go for it, i was in a similar boat but have just finished my first year of a degree and i am so happy i went for it, there is no such thing as been too ld to learn you are more mature then the kids comin out of school and u will work harder and better and not be distracted by been out from under your mothers apron and gettn drunk chasin women :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rubix

Hi there;

I think I take the 'prize' for being the oldest returning to education. At 45, I've done the business thing, the rearing the kids thing, the support the other half thing and am now doing my thing. Having completed the first year of psych with the OU and now hoping to move to Occupational Therapy in TCD, September 12 months. I should have done it at 30!! You go for it, don't let anyone stop you. Don't get to 40 something and wonder how different life might have been. I'm will be meeting nieces and daughters of friends at Uni - how strange can that be!! But I will become an educated hip 'n trendy Mum - well we'll see. :cool:

Advertisement