Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Vaccinations - Rip-off TMB or not??

Options
  • 01-03-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife, 6 month old daughter and I are planning on travelling to China in about a month. We're visiting her family. I plan on staying about 3 weeks and my wife and daughter about 6 weeks. Looked into travel vaccinations today. Called Tropical Medical Bureau and they recommended my daughter get a hepititis A vaccination. This costs €37.50 which isn't too bad but there is a mandatory consultation with a doctor that costs €60. So €97.50 in total. I think this is a bit of a rip off.

I know there is no cost that you can put on a childs health but the mandatory €60 consultation which will probably take about a max of 10 minutes is a bit much. Is there any alternative to TMB to get a hepititis A vaccination?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did you not talk to your gp first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Ya I did and he didn't have a clue. Went to another doctor up the road nd she said as far as she knew they children under 6 months don't get vaccinations (at least they don't administer them to children under 6 months). But TMB say differently, i.e. she needs Hepititis A injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ya I did and he didn't have a clue.

That is SO BAD. :mad:

I hate that 60 euro consult rubbish with the TMB too. We got our shots from the local GP when we went to Thailand there about a year ago. Our little one was nearly 2 at the time though so I'm not sure about under 6 months.

Advertisement